Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Internet Problems
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Greeneyes
After getting my new pc all nice and built, I'm having problems getting my internet to work, and both my dad and myself are out of ideas, so I was hoping someone could give me some more. Firstly, we tried using a wireless router. The client installs fine, xp recognises it, but in setting up the profile (eg, finding the network, adding the encryption etc), all the information is entered, and yet it refuses to create a profile. It simply accepts it as if it had, but nothing happens. I realise this isn't terribly helpful without specifics, but there you go. We also tried connecting with an external ADSL modem, though for some reason my computer will not find the ADSL signal on the line. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
jambo
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Oct 2 2004, 02:37 PM)
After getting my new pc all nice and built, I'm having problems getting my internet to work, and both my dad and myself are out of ideas, so I was hoping someone could give me some more. Firstly, we tried using a wireless router. The client installs fine, xp recognises it, but in setting up the profile (eg, finding the network, adding the encryption etc), all the information is entered, and yet it refuses to create a profile. It simply accepts it as if it had, but nothing happens. I realise this isn't terribly helpful without specifics, but there you go. We also tried connecting with an external ADSL modem, though for some reason my computer will not find the ADSL signal on the line. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I'm new to the board. Let's see if I can be helpful...

1. Windows XP will not save a wireless network profile until it connects successfully once. You should commission a wireless router using a wired client. If you can post some more information (such as router model) I may be able to talk you through it.

2. 9/ 10 usb adsl modems will find the signal on the line without being connected to a computer (i.e. a green dsl/ connection light will go solid). If you can, disconnect any other telephony devices in your house (i.e. telephones/ digital boxes) and try again.
Greeneyes
QUOTE (jambo @ Oct 2 2004, 07:33 PM)
1. Windows XP will not save a wireless network profile until it connects successfully once. You should commission a wireless router using a wired client. If you can post some more information (such as router model) I may be able to talk you through it.

I'm not actually trying to set the connection up through XP as a profile, I'm using the software that came with the client. Oddly enough, there are 4 other clients on the wireless in my house which work, it's just my computer that refuses to do it.

Again, with the ADSL modem, the rest of the house's braodband is working fine, and the modem was at one point being used on a different computer, where it worked. It's just something about my computer.

Thanks anyway.

The modem is a Sagem F@st 800, the router is a Thompson SpeedTouch 570, and the client is a Thompson SpeedTouch 110.
jambo
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Oct 2 2004, 09:56 PM)
I'm not actually trying to set the connection up through XP as a profile, I'm using the software that came with the client. Oddly enough, there are 4 other clients on the wireless in my house which work, it's just my computer that refuses to do it.

Again, with the ADSL modem, the rest of the house's braodband is working fine, and the modem was at one point being used on a different computer, where it worked. It's just something about my computer.

Thanks anyway.

The modem is a Sagem F@st 800, the router is a Thompson SpeedTouch 570, and the client is a Thompson SpeedTouch 110.

Have you tried your SpeedTouch 110 on another computer (to rule out hardware failure)?

Also, have you tried updating your computer to SP2? That may cure the problem.
Greeneyes
QUOTE (jambo @ Oct 3 2004, 10:37 AM)
Have you tried your SpeedTouch 110 on another computer (to rule out hardware failure)?

Also, have you tried updating your computer to SP2? That may cure the problem.

I'm actually using that specific unit right now, on a different computer, and it works fine. There are other computers in my house using the same type of unit that worked before SP2, so it's probably not that either, I could give it a try though.

Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.