Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toast Toppings
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I know that toast is a common subject so I did do a search before starting this poll but I only found a toasted-ness thread

So...I was just wondering, what do you all eat a-top of your toast?

This morning I had marmalade but I also like it with just margerine or sometimes with marmite.

So...just curious, tell me about your toast!!!
Daedalus
I'm not particularly keen on toast. I'm much more of a toastie person. With cheese. Lots of cheese. And anything else that might be lurking on my half a shelf of fridge space dry.gif
Jaq
I love to have peanut butter and raspberry jam on toast... Mmmm... My favourite weekday breakfast

Also salsa, ham and cheese on toast is good too but I usually don't have most of the stuff to do it and it ends up too greasy.
LoLo
If I want something really sweet, it has butter and strawberry jam.

If I want something sort of sweet, it has butter, cinnamon and sugar.

If I want something meal like, it has butter, tuna, mayo and melted cheese over the top.
Feyliya
I usually do just plain toast with butter. When I have cheese in the house, I'll do toast with melted cheese and butter. When I want something sweet I do toast with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Sometimes I do toast with butter and strawberry or raspberry jam/jelly. I used to love toast with butter and honey, but my fiancee is allergic to honey so I've stopped eating any unless he's out of the house and there's no chance that I'm going to be kissing him within a few hours of consumption. For a meal I love toast, spam, cheese, a little mayo, a little mustard, lettuce, and bacon. Of course, I only do this VERY rarely because I'm usually missing 2 or more ingredients.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Generally just butter. Occasionally peanut butter.

When I was pregnant I used to have toast and everything. Mash potato on toast and hash browns in toast with tomato ketchup were my personal favourites. My craving was textures. biggrin.gif
Hobbes
For me, toast is usually accompanied by the following:

Butter
Jam
Marmalade
Baked Beans
Scrambled Egg and Bacon

(Not all at the same time, I might add - although if anyone wants to try it then let me know what it tastes like).

If I have toast for breakfast, I usually just have butter/margarine. If I get up early enough though, I might treat myself to some jam or - perhaps - marmalade.

Baked beans on toast are more of a mini-dinner meal type thing. And the scrambled egg/bacon option is only if someone else wants to make it for me smile.gif

But really, I don't eat much toast...

BAGELS RULE!
Usurper MrTeapot
Mmmm melted cheese.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
mmm bagels...stupid co-op not selling them and me not being arsed to go to Sainsburys.

I can't believe I forgot cheese!

On the recommendation of Greeneyes I tried cheese and marmalade and it was yummmmmy!!
mooooooooooopo
Beans _and_ cheese is the king of toastly toppings, so I chose 'Other savoury' cos I couldn't decide if the cheese or the beans were most important :-( .
FishFace
I like peanut butter and jam. My favourite jam is Strawberry (Homemade) and that's good on it's own.

Also, marmite is good on hot white toast. Cheddar cheese is great, but you have to have the correct amount - too much and it tastes just like vaguely crunchy cheese, too little and tastes like 'orrible toast.

Incidentally, I have a limit on the amount of peanut butter I can eat. I'm allergic to Brazil Nuts (not too bad) but to prevent me from developing a peanut allergy, I have to go easy on them. I right pain, seeing as it was my favourite spread.
artist.unknown
Nutella. Sometimes with peanut butter too. Nuff said.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
mmm nutty!

I haven't had nutella for ages...I just remember it being yummy!
DoRmAnt
QUOTE (LoLo @ Oct 7 2004, 02:13 PM)
If I want something sort of sweet, it has butter, cinnamon and sugar.

I agree with that! mmm...cinnamon and sugar toast is oh so good.

And I must add that for a saltier toast mood, I go with vegemite.

One of my favorites is an over easy egg and bacon on toast. Yum!
Hobbes
I'm glad to see Marmite has had zero votes so far.
Down with Marmite!

But peanut butter is just as bad...

...yack!
arachnidoc17
1. DO NOT INSULT THE PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!

2. Somewhere I saw a cartoon where this guy bought Vegemite and everybody started eating it and singing about it... I forget where I saw it... I think i was channel surfing.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
It was probably an advert unsure.gif
arachnidoc17
Nahh, I live in the Land of Lincoln. Doubt we'd have a Vegemite commercial on TV. Never even heard of it till then. It did look like a commercial, though.
Phyllis
Cinnamon toast! (Snoo said she'd never heard of it, so for those of you who may not know...it's toast with butter, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar like Lo was talking about).

Or if I'm in the mood for something not sweet, then butter and garlic powder. Yum.

Oh...or a mixture of creamy peanut butter and honey. But it has to be mixed together in a bowl before being spread on the toast...can't just slap some peanut butter on there and top it with honey...not the same.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
hmm well maybe it was on one of those "top 10 whateverest advert" shows?

My friend is at uni in Lincoln.

edit: Cand...are you sure you're not pregnant or something? blink.gif
Azrael The Cat
Lol, this thread rocks. tongue.gif

I usually just go for the usual butter, though if I actually have money, I'd go for chesee too and if I have lots of money, then cheese and garlic margarine. biggrin.gif Although I do also do the bean thing.

I've actually had marmitte once, got some on toast from a british lady I met while camping by The Great Lakes. It's not as bad as it might seem, although I do have to say that only the British would possibly turn yeast residue into food, lol. tongue.gif What's vegimite? Is it like vegetarian marmite>? And if so, how do they make it?
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
marmite is vegetarian.

Vegimite is a veggie alternative to Bovril, which is beef extract...or soemthing. Vegimite and marmite are pretty similar I think...probably a bit different but same principal
MrBrick
Jam AND Marmite. Clearly.

Fuzzy will back me up on this one. Fuzzy is, infact, quite an efficianado of toasts. But I'll let him post his recipes. ph34r.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (snoo @ Oct 9 2004, 11:46 AM)
edit: Cand...are you sure you're not pregnant or something? blink.gif

Yes I'm sure! My combinations are fairly commonplace...at least where I live.

I just thought of another! Cream cheese mixed with baby shrimp and chopped onions. That one probably isn't so commonplace...lol. Even though I've stopped eating most meat after reading about the meat packing plants (ew ew ew)...I still can't resist seafood. *drools*
Righteous
I'm a big fan of strawberry jam. Not very exciting, but it works for me.
arachnidoc17
I origionally thought marmalade was some sort of citrusy, fruity drink or something.
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Oct 7 2004, 02:49 PM)
For me, toast is usually accompanied by the following:

Butter
Jam
Marmalade
Baked Beans
Scrambled Egg and Bacon

(Not all at the same time, I might add - although if anyone wants to try it then let me know what it tastes like).

If they survive... laugh.gif
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Oct 7 2004, 02:49 PM)
BAGELS RULE!

Yep! They sure do! cool.gif
Quoth(The Raven)
actually, butter, margerine, and Jams/Jellies are for toast...

Anything else tends to be a toasted sandwich... Open faced.

Tuna fish on toast (With Mayo and Relish, natch) makes a good sandwich.
Quoth(The Raven)
And, what's with the British, and beans on toast? *Blech!*
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Quoth, quadrouple posting = bad, that's why there is an edit button.

Right now I'm eating marmalade on toast...yummy!!
laenan kite
i wub.gif honey and ketchup on toast. weired i no but its gr8. try it sumtime
DoRmAnt
^honey and ketchup. bleh!

sorry but it just does not sound appetizing.

i'm a fan of applebutter too. mmm. on rye toast with a grande java. *drools*
Snugglebum the Destroyer
i'm a fan of applebutter too. mmm. on rye toast with a grande java. *drools*

There's nothing in that sentance that I understand.

But it sounds good anyway. biggrin.gif
DoRmAnt
^hahaha sorry

fast typing and it all ran together.

it should look like this:

"i'm a fan of applebutter too..

mmm

...on rye toast with a grande java (meaning big coffeehouse coffee).

*drools*

better? lol
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Umm - kinda.

I assume Applebutter, is butter with apple bits in it. Rye toast and Java I get. smile.gif
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (snoo @ Oct 10 2004, 07:03 AM)

Right now I'm eating marmalade on toast...yummy!!

What? I had four distinct things to say, so I made four posts. You wouldn't put four distinctly different thoughts in the same paragraph, would you?
The.Wheezing.Ghost
I ocassionally put butter on my toast, but most of the time I go with Toast and Grape jelly...mmm...grape jelly *drools*
Quoth(The Raven)
Margerine and strawberry Jam. Yum.
o0fish0o
Really, any excuse to eat super sugary things in the early morning is OK by me, chocolate spread all the way.... if only pure sugar was an option
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (o0fish0o @ Oct 10 2004, 11:07 PM)
Really, any excuse to eat super sugary things in the early morning is OK by me, chocolate spread all the way.... if only pure sugar was an option

Oh No! It's the dreaded Teddy Ruxpin Av! Run away! Run away! laugh.gif
artist.unknown
Umm - kinda.

I assume Applebutter, is butter with apple bits in it. Rye toast and Java I get.

Not really...it's like an apple beaten too a bloody pulp and then mixed in with lots of sugar and cinnamon and wotnot to make the net weight roughly similar to that of a small car. heh. I'm not a fan of it myself, it's sort of rich and heavy. It's one of the sort of things you can always find in Pennsylvania Dutch stores around fall. Not much to do with butter, it's just called that to throw tourists off. ^^
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (Quoth(The Raven) @ Oct 11 2004, 01:20 AM)
QUOTE (snoo @ Oct 10 2004, 07:03 AM)

What? I had four distinct things to say, so I made four posts. You wouldn't put four distinctly different thoughts in the same paragraph, would you?

No, but I could put it in the same post in different paragraphs.

honey and ketchup

ewwww! I hate ketchup, I have an unexplainable fear of it...YUCK!
Aislinn Faye
I was shocked when I saw that only three people liked the chocolate spread... has no one heard of Nutella? It's like an orgasm in a jar, it's heavenly.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
nutella was mentioned on page one tongue.gif
Hobbes
QUOTE (Aislinn Faye @ Oct 12 2004, 05:11 PM)
has no one heard of Nutella?

*barf*

On toast?!

*double barf*
Spacehappy
QUOTE (Quoth(The Raven) @ Oct 10 2004, 02:53 AM)
And, what's with the British, and beans on toast?  *Blech!*

The Welsh delicacy is "Welsh Rarebit" otherwise known to the rest of the world as ... Cheese on Toast sad.gif

And anyway nothing wrong with beans on toast, with worcestershire sauce, cheese and salt on top smile.gif I also love marmite on toast.
Ashbless
Deactivated yeast spread, aka marmite, has always struck me as very odd. Making a vegetarian option, vegimite, just carries the joke too far. laugh.gif

It's usually peanut butter on the morning toast. More because it's there than because it's a favourite.

Anybody tried student pizza? Toast with spag sauce, luncheon meat, whatever could be considered pizza toppings and mozza cheese all heated in the oven until the cheese is melted. It's.....interesting. Mayhap good depending on hunger level. wink.gif
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (Ashbless @ Oct 12 2004, 08:24 PM)
Anybody tried student pizza?  Toast with spag sauce, luncheon meat, whatever could be considered pizza toppings and mozza cheese all heated in the oven until the cheese is melted.  It's.....interesting.  Mayhap good depending on hunger level.  wink.gif

Yeah, I've had that... Four cheese flavored sauce is best, I think... reminds me of those 'make at home' pizza kits Chef Boyardee used to make...

But, bagels or English Muffins make a better crust than toast...
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (Ashbless @ Oct 13 2004, 01:24 AM)
Deactivated yeast spread, aka marmite, has always struck me as very odd.  Making a vegetarian option, vegimite, just carries the joke too far.  laugh.gif

Ok...for the (at least) Second time, Marmite is vegetarian. Bovil (beef extract) is the non-veggie option.
Don't make me prove it, I have a jar in the cupboard with it's big "approved by the vegetarian society" logo and a digicam and I'm not afraid to use them!

*sigh*

when will you people learn?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.