Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling All Englishmen; Whaddaya Think Of The Us?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
monosodiumglutemate
huh.gif I've been curious for a long time what the other countries and cultures think of us (probably not much thanks to that damned Bush) and especially what our accent sounds like to the Brits and such.
Righteous
If your interested in language, go to the "English Language" thread. As for the other stuff, ressurect an old thread.
Polocrunch
Wotchit, Ri - you made a spelling mistake there!

Polocrunch: self-declared Defender of the Grammar Faith.
laenan kite
*sigh* i realy hate brits.they r mostly snobs, who look down their nose at me.(im british,so i should no)sorry about the grammer, but i jus' cannae help it!
Polocrunch
Everyone can 'help' that their language is poor. Not all appear to want to, however.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
sigh* i realy hate brits.they r mostly snobs

Yes. We also all drink tea, talk with a very posh accent and have bad teeth. dry.gif
laenan kite
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Oct 10 2004, 06:35 PM)
sigh* i realy hate brits.they r mostly snobs

We also all drink tea,

i h8 t. i have coffee flowing thru my veins tho
Polocrunch
Snugglebum, that's the most devastatingly accurate critique of the British that I've ever heard! You are a master of perception.
laenan kite
my teeth r kinda bad tho lol
laenan kite
snuggles? whatz e-marry?
Righteous
Yeah, Polo. I noticed after I posted, but was to lazy to change it.

My aunt is posh and drinks tea. Then again, she's not really English; she's a crazy Welsh woman who changed her accent and claims, like my grandmother, to be English. Their teeth are fine, though.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
we're talkin British here Ri, Wales is part of Great Britain so ner tongue.gif

/spam
Righteous
But she thinks she's English. THat's the part that I'm focusing on. Mainly, I'm just blasting her and my grandmother to feed my dislike of the both of them for being ashamed of their respective lineages, particularly my grandmother because her lineage is my lineage too.

There's nothing wrong with being English, but to call yourself English when you aren't from England because you're ashamed of the fact that you grew up a poor Welsh girl or a poor Jamaican girl of Chinese descent is just looney.

EDIT: Rick and I were just discussing this and I was explaining my case and he said, "I don't give a rat's ass about her." To that, I said, "The reason I take it so personally is because it's my lineage she's ashamed of too." To which he replied, "I am ashamed of my lineage--Grandmama." laugh.gif
monosodiumglutemate
=^oo^= wow.. this has like not answered anything. yet I shall check out those threads
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Okay - on topic.

On the whole my opinion of you Americans has been very limited and to be quite honest it's been supplied by the media.

That being the case, I suppose I've had a rather blinkered opinion.

That has changed a lot recently though. Only because I've had the opportunity to actually talk to real, live Americans!! biggrin.gif I'm reminded that it's about people and not about where you happen to have born.

And, I'm really too drunk to explain myself properly. So rather than just leaving it, I'll post and hope that I don't sound too sh*tfaced. biggrin.gif
Mata
Impressions from visiting America:

Lots of lovely people, and a fair amount of people that I would rather not meet (just like everywhere else in the world).

Demanding of very high levels of service in restaurants, but generally tip well when they get it.

Waiting staff are shocked by English manners because we are not so demanding, which is rather cute.

The homeless are far more media savvy than in the UK, which is rather odd.

Internet access appears to be regarded as a basic human right.

Most American accents sound fairly similar to outsiders, except for really obvious ones like the Deep South and Brooklyn.

Considering how much space America has, there really aren't enough accents to go around. Make up some new ones.

American breakfasts in diners are huge.

Americans are exactly the same as anyone else in the world most of the time.

I'm not surprised American teenagers get very very bored indeed, considering the absolute lack of non-corporate entertainment that seems to exist outside of major cities.

It can be a very long way to the next major city.

Your teeth aren't that much different from those of most people in the UK or anywhere else in the world.

Women in America seem to make more effort with make-up. Or maybe it was just because I was visiting San Francisco at the end of the summer so most people had a tan which made them look like they'd been making more effort.

Your pretentious goths are possibly even more pretentious than ours.

You have more pretentious goths.

Americans have just as many smart people as anywhere else in the world.

From seeing Americans on TV and in the media (this is a very different story):

Stupid Americans shout louder than smart Americans and make more 'entertaining' (AKA 'road crash') subjects for the media.

Americans are brash, arrogant, demanding, impatient, and stupid, or at least this is how most of them appear on television.

It is clear that the founding Americans left at the time when the Puritans were running England. A few decades later the English decided that this was a really very boring way of living, revolted, and put a decadent king back on the throne that made all the fun things legal again. Americans did not do the revolution thing, so got stuck with some very strict religious hangovers.

The love of guns means that you end up shooting or being shot by loved ones. Less guns means less household shootings. Why is this a difficult equation? (You asked for external views of America and this is a very common thought.)

Gay men in America live up to every single stereotype of homosexuals as if portraying a stereotype is a progressive political statement and not a return to 'Are You Being Served?'.

Middle America scares the hell out of everyone in the world because of their utter lack of understanding of America's responsibilities to world peace.

And of course... George W Bush is in actual fact a crudely-rendered, computer-generated monkey puppet with pink skin instead of fur.
lygophilia
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 10 2004, 05:09 PM)
I'm not surprised American teenagers get very very bored indeed, considering the absolute lack of non-corporate entertainment that seems to exist outside of major cities.
You mean there's more entertainment elsewhere?! ohmy.gif Oh wait, non-corperate entertainment. So that means... Hmm, kind of confused on that one. huh.gif
Americans are brash, arrogant, demanding, impatient, and stupid, or at least this is how most of them appear on television.
If you didn't say that last part, I'd be mad. dry.gif Maybe. I'm not sure if I could be ever be mad at you, Mata, seeing as I worship you. wub.gif
Gay men in America live up to every single stereotype of homosexuals
Hey, they're not all like that.
And of course... George W Bush is in actual fact a crudely-rendered, computer-generated monkey puppet with pink skin instead of fur.
That, however, I agree with completely. biggrin.gif

(Does anyone think I over-use the smilies? I can't help it; they're so adorable. happy.gif)
Quoth(The Raven)
Ah, yes, George 'Dubya' Bush... Uniting people all over the world... In hatred. We're all SO proud dry.gif .

All together now... 'No more years! No more Years...' laugh.gif
Righteous
Stupid Americans shout louder than smart Americans and make more 'entertaining' (AKA 'road crash') subjects for the media.

Hate to say it, but that's the truth. The newscasters here love to interview either the dumbest idiots or the cutest little kids.

Considering how much space America has, there really aren't enough accents to go around. Make up some new ones.

I blame the New York/California media that makes it more fasionable to have a certain accent. Philadelphia has a nice accent.

The homeless are far more media savvy than in the UK, which is rather odd.

What do you mean by that, Mata?

American breakfasts in diners are huge.

Heh. Yeah.

The US is a weird place. I blame uptight ethnocentricism, a spoiled populace and democracy (please keep your hands away from my throat), but that's just me.
Jonman
Further British perceptions of Americans (being that I spent just under 2 years living in Ohio, California and Washington, and even went as far as to marry one):

The American fascination with British accents is at first endearing, but eventually gets tiresome. I finally understood what it must be like to be a woman with an incredible figure who only possesses leotards - people would just come up to me and start talking to me specifically because I'm English, rather than because they were interested in me.

Echo Mata - there's just as high a proportion of dumb fools in the US as everywhere else. But they not only shout louder, they collect in groups, and shout together. Like the Republican convention ;-p

British people as a rule have little to no concept of the size of the US. We live in a country where you're never more than 60 miles from the coast, and it takes 10 hours to drive from the south to the north (in traffic). The idea of driving for a week in a straight line and still being miles from the sea is utterly incomprehensible.

British people tend to assume that everywhere in America is either ( a ): California, ( b ) Florida, ( c ) New York City, ( d ) Washington DC, or ( e ) a white-trash trailer park in Hicksville. Ask them to tell you anything whatsoever about Wisconsin, and they'll probably guess that it's a brand of soft drink.

America in incredibly more spread-out than the UK. There's an awful lot more open space there than here. And cities tend to be less crowded.

Americans have a much more healthy attitude towards alcohol than we do.
gothictheysay
[quote]Internet access appears to be regarded as a basic human right. [/quote]
"Class, this project will require internet research. If you don't have internet at home, there should be enough time for you during the class period to use our computers in the library..."

[quote] Considering how much space America has, there really aren't enough accents to go around. Make up some new ones. [/quote]
Either that, or they're simple, nasty accents. My old choir teacher always said to pretend we were British when we sang because we sounded all the better. [/quote]
[quote]American breakfasts in diners are huge.[/quote]
That depends if you're at a buffet, or a breakfast restaurant ordering a meal that's $10.75 by itself on the menu. One is huge and one is massive, can't remember which is which.

[quote]Your teeth aren't that much different from those of most people in the UK or anywhere else in the world.[/quote]
Mine are; they're terrible...

[quote]Women in America seem to make more effort with make-up. Or maybe it was just because I was visiting San Francisco at the end of the summer so most people had a tan which made them look like they'd been making more effort.[/quote]
I will never understand why my friend's mother has to take an hour for make-up when all she's doing is dropping us off somewhere twenty minutes away and then going home. Never.

[quote]Your pretentious goths are possibly even more pretentious than ours.
You have more pretentious goths.[/quote]
oh yes... who wants to be compared to the girl with the slipknot tee just because you're wearing all black today? not me.

[quote]Americans have just as many smart people as anywhere else in the world.[/quote]
I must be living in a stupid area.

[quote]From seeing Americans on TV and in the media (this is a very different story):

Stupid Americans shout louder than smart Americans and make more 'entertaining' (AKA 'road crash') subjects for the media.[/quote]
And the Americans in the middle sit on the couch and watch and laugh at the stupid people while the smart people, I dunno, do quadratic equations.

[quote]Americans are brash, arrogant, demanding, impatient, and stupid, or at least this is how most of them appear on television.[/quote]
That may or may not be a reason why I don't watch too much TV. wink.gif

[quote]Americans did not do the revolution thing, so got stuck with some very strict religious hangovers.[/quote]
And people like me who don't know what the religious hangovers are, so try not to offend, but don't know what to do, and end up being whopped on the head occasionally when offending.
[quote]The love of guns means that you end up shooting or being shot by loved ones. Less guns means less household shootings. Why is this a difficult equation? (You asked for external views of America and this is a very common thought.)[/quote]
Good question. I am very much in agreement.
[quote]Middle America scares the hell out of everyone in the world because of their utter lack of understanding of America's responsibilities to world peace.[/quote]
I try, but I'm only one upper-middle-American young person.
[quote]And of course... George W Bush is in actual fact a crudely-rendered, computer-generated monkey puppet with pink skin instead of fur.[/quote]
Go tell the rest of the American people that please.
Mata
[quote=lygophilia,Oct 11 2004, 03:19 AM]
[quote=Mata,Oct 10 2004, 05:09 PM]Americans are brash, arrogant, demanding, impatient, and stupid, or at least this is how most of them appear on television.
[/quote]If you didn't say that last part, I'd be mad. dry.gif Maybe. I'm not sure if I could be ever be mad at you, Mata, seeing as I worship you. wub.gif [/quote]
As I said, that is strictly the impression given by viewing America through the imported television shows that we get. Obviously there are things like Jerry Springer, but even characters on shows like Will & Grace really are pretty deplorable, self-centered, and egotistical... And those are supposed to be the lovable and cute ones!

Once again, this is not the impression that you get from visiting America, only from watching the TV shows. Don't forget that most of the world judges America by its television and films, so this incongruity is important to consider. It is such a dominant impression that spans so much of American media that it is hard for people, without actual physical experience of Americans, not to consider it to be true.

[quote][quote]Your teeth aren't that much different from those of most people in the UK or anywhere else in the world.[/quote]
Mine are; they're terrible...[/quote]
Mine aren't particularly well placed, but they are extremely healthy, which is one of the stereotypes about the British.

[quote][quote]Americans have just as many smart people as anywhere else in the world.[/quote]
I must be living in a stupid area.[/quote]
No, there just aren't very many smart people anywhere in the world! biggrin.gif But more to the point, they are no less thinly spread in the US than elsewhere.

[quote][quote]And of course... George W Bush is in actual fact a crudely-rendered, computer-generated monkey puppet with pink skin instead of fur.[/quote]
Go tell the rest of the American people that please.

[/quote][/quote]
I'm trying, believe me.

[quote][quote]The homeless are far more media savvy than in the UK, which is rather odd.[/quote]
What do you mean by that, Mata?[/quote]
I was sitting on a tram in San Francisco. A couple of feet away from me there were two homeless guys chatting. For a start, I can count the number of times I've seen someone who appeared to be homeless on public transport in the UK on one hand... and using only one finger. One of the guys was saying how he had been chucked out of a squat and was now using the internet to find a lawyer who would argue for his right to tenancy. He'd found the squat initially through a website, the other chap has nowhere to stay, so he says to the other homeless man 'Do you have access to the internet?', the other one replies 'Of course.'

Homeless. On public transport. Finding a lawyer. And 'of course' they have internet access.

You really would not see that in the UK.

EDIT: I'm not sure what's up with the quotes onthe board today, sorry about that.
Righteous
Okay, that's just weird. Bums in Florida don't have that kind of stuff, though I did once see one with a cell phone (I've seen a lot of homeless people in my day).

Going back to what J-man said, a while back I was telling Commie about my holiday in Orlando and he pointed out that the general consensus there is that Florida is the amusment park of the world. Now that I think about it, it's pretty much like that all over the US, too. Apparently every place in the entire world believes that Florida is just like Orlando, Tampa and Miami when the only places like that in Florida are...Orlando, Tampa and Miami.
Mata
Average person's knowledge of the US:

Texas: very hot. People like guns. Has deserts. Shoot the ground and oil comes out.

Washington: Big statue of Abraham Lincoln. Cleopatra's needle.

Seattle: It rains and people in the markets throw fish at eachother.

San Francisco: Summer of love. A good place for car chases. Possibly people know Alcatraz is there too.

New York: Posh people. Very poor people. Shootings in Harlem. Times Square gets covered in loo roll every new year. Statue of Liberty used to welcome immigrants, now seems a bit ironic considering the current government's attitude to foreigners. Missing two towers and several surrounding buildings.

Deep South (no, generally it isn't more specific): Hicks. Guns. Barmy levels of fanatical religion (but its okay, they're _Christian_ fanatics... unsure.gif ). Jack Daniels is probably made there.

Smallville: Where Superman landed. Lots of fields. Near to Metropolis City.

Gotham City: Lots of crime. Also near to Metropolis.

Florida: Looks a bit like a flaccid... Cucumber on the map. Disneyland. Or Disneyworld. Has a very big aquarium.

New Mexico: Not actually American, but Americans always go there in films. [EDIT- Doh, it is actually American. See what I mean, us UK peeps don't have a clue ] Everyone there lives like it was 120 years ago. All the buildings are dusty looking. People buy drugs there.

Err... That's probably it.
Righteous
Just to tell you, the south isn't as bad as people make it out to be. We also don't all smoke Marlboro Reds, chew Copenhagen, have cars on cinder blocks in our front yards and marry our cousins. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions. My old boss used to live in Tennessee and there was a town near him where, "Therr wun't much t'choose frum" in the ways of marital partners. Some of my friends smoke Marlboro Reds and I knew some cats in high school who chewed tobacco. I guess the most stereotypical parts of the south are places like Yulee, Callahan and Hilliard, which are towns west of where Aislinn and I live. The farther west you go, the more redneck it gets (shudder).

Though I'm sure for every stereotype there are people to base it off of, even with you UK folks. I'm sure there was, at some point or another, an exposure to some posh, upscale, arrogant Englishman or some crazy drunken Scotsman (one of which I call Granddad).

I once asked my little sister what she though of English folks to see if any stereotypes had infected her mind. Her response was, "I like the way they talk." I was relieved.
monosodiumglutemate
Thanks for the replies! this may be a little extremely off topic, but Mata, it would be hilarious if you put the 'George Bush' into one of your animations.. also off topic, I have a plush monkey who is identical to Dubya. . .
FishFace
One of the important notions you receive from the media is that most Americans are huuuuge. Obviously, this isn't true, but you are apparently the most obese country in the world.

I'm afraid I don't like the accent. I find it annoying sad.gif This is probably due to association with either a) Bad American TV imports cool.gif media notions or c) Dubya

The gun thing seems to be on a lot of UK minds. It's certainly on mine. I had a long debate with someone about it, and they seemed completely obstinate.

I've also met American religious fanatics. They're annoying too - I had a huuuuge debate about homosexuality and how if you read the Bible sensibly it does not condemn homosexuality. Or at least, even if it does there are very good reasons to ignore it.

My dad went to the US and agrees that you do get served huuuuge amounts in restaurants, which can't help the obesity situtation.

The US Patent Office sucks.

I find 'color,' 'theater,' and the way you pronounce 'processing' amusing.

Then, of course, there's Dubya. We know he didn't win the election, but this still reflects badly on your electoral system, if nothing else.

I acknowledge, of course, that a lot of the views we get are unfair, due to media bias.
laenan kite
speaking of rednecks....................

Letter from redneck mom to redneck son

Dear Redneck Son;

I'm writing this letter slow because I know you can't read fast.
We don't live where we did when you left home. Your dad read in the newspaper that most accidents happen within 20 miles from your home, so we moved. I won't be able to send you the address because the last Arkansas family that lived here took the house numbers when they moved so that they wouldn't have to change their address. This place is really nice. It even has a washing machine. I'm not sure it works so well though: last week I put a load in and pulled the chain and haven't seen them since.

The weather isn't bad here. It only rained twice last week; the first time for three days and the second time for four days. About that coat you wanted me to send you, your Uncle Stanley

said it would be too heavy to send in the mail with the buttons on, so we cut them off and put them in the pockets. John locked his keys in the car yesterday. We were really worried because it took him two hours to get me and your father out. Your sister had a baby this morning; but I haven't found out what it is yet so I don't know if your an aunt or an uncle. The baby looks just like your brother.... Uncle Ted fell in a whiskey vat last week. Some men tried to pull him out, but he fought them off playfully and drowned. We had him cremated and he burned for three days. Three of your friends went off a bridge in a pick-up truck.

Ralph was driving. He rolled down the window and swam to safety. Your other two friends were in back. They drowned because they couldn't get the tailgate down. There isn't much more news at this time. Nothing much has happened. Love, Mom

P.S. I was going to send you some money but
the envelope was already sealed.

laugh.gif
Mutilation
A real funny American experience was when a friend of mine came for a holiday in England, as she had moved to America (Yes, female friend!!! Couldn't complete Zelda though, had to rely on my leet skillz. Anyway). We were walking in the middle of the road, as you do, when she said "Let's get one the sidewalk." And everyone is rolling on the floor and is like "OMG! SIDEWALK!" and we kept shouting and strangers "GET OFF THE SIDE-WALK!" in our American accents.

You crazy Americans and your accents.
monosodiumglutemate
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Oct 11 2004, 02:51 PM)
A real funny American experience was when a friend of mine came for a holiday in England, as she had moved to America (Yes, female friend!!! Couldn't complete Zelda though, had to rely on my leet skillz. Anyway). We were walking in the middle of the road, as you do, when she said "Let's get one the sidewalk." And everyone is rolling on the floor and is like "OMG! SIDEWALK!" and we kept shouting and strangers "GET OFF THE SIDE-WALK!" in our American accents.

You crazy Americans and your accents.

well, what do you guys call the sidewalk then? That's one of the things I wanted to know about your opinion of our version of the language.
For example, if you pointed out a 'lorry' on the street, I can see many Americans looking at the sky questioningly to see what type of exotic bird you saw.
also, is it true that, in hotels and the like, if you called for a wake up call from Room Service for, say, 6 in the morning, the English term would be that they would 'knock you up' at 6 in the morning?
intriguing.
monosodiumglutemate
ah, and I beat almost all of the Zelda games many times over. whee! best series ever. . I think
lygophilia
QUOTE (Jonman @ Oct 11 2004, 03:48 AM)
Really? huh.gif A couple years ago in my debate class, we had a girl come in debating on the whole alcohol thing (and she did a fantastic job). Basically it was that the US has a lot more binge drinking than Europe (at least for teenagers), due to the fact that you grow up with wine for dinner and stuff. The drinking age in America is 21, and teens want to do it partially because they're not allowed to, not because of rebellion (which can be a reason), but because when something is banned, it seems more... fun.

Oh, now I remember. The debate had to do with teenage drunk drivers. She said we should take away they drinking age limit altogether, which would help in the long-run, but now... there'd probably be more crashes and deaths by drunk drivers than there are now. It's a decision you'd have to make, and I'm not sure many people would risk it all for something that won't even help until after our deaths.

And you do grow up with wine where you guys are, right? wink.gif

QUOTE (fishface @ Oct 11 2004, 03:48 AM)
I've also met American religious fanatics. They're annoying too - I had a huuuuge debate about homosexuality and how if you read the Bible sensibly it does not condemn homosexuality. Or at least, even if it does there are very good reasons to ignore it.
*shudder* Can't... stand... those... people.

As far as the love of guns goes: I don't think most people are like that. Maybe 50%, more or less. Then again, that's probably a lot more than over there. There sure are a lot more deaths by guns in America. I was actually surprised when I heard the number of deaths in other countries. All those people, you'd think it'd be more; I guess killing people is just more popular in the US. dry.gif
monosodiumglutemate

They appear that way off TV to, at least when I'm around.
You have more pretentious goths.

most are probably poseurs. I think most people are anyway. started along the same time when it was popular to be 'punk'(!? that was mean of them!)

My friend and I are working on it. It is a combination of old english, american english, random badly-pronounced french words where they seem right, random badly-pronounced german words where they seem right, and random words (ie, I officially have replaced 'feet' with 'feefs'. the singular can either be pronounced 'feef' or 'fife'). just wait. it will sweep the nation.
and finally
[QUOTE]One of the important notions you receive from the media is that most Americans are huuuuge. Obviously, this isn't true, but you are apparently the most obese country in the world.[QUOTE] that is right, we are all that not fat if you average us out. in fact, the country is split evenly into morbidly obese and anorexic, most likely the conflicting influences of our toothpick fashion models and the fast food industry. So, in fact, I suppose averaged together we must be the fittest country in the world! Everyone around the globe can look forward to getting the same fantastic results after our culture thouroughly saturates all others! here is an example:
FishFace
We call it the pavement.

It seems childish but things like that do seem incredibly funny. It happens within England, too - the whole scone debate, for example (please... not here...) or what defines a bun, a bap, a roll, a cake...
arachnidoc17
[Quoting Mata] Obviously there are things like Jerry Springer,

Incase you haven't noticed, Jerry Springer is staged. EVERY episode, someone tries to throw a chair. they always yell. Gee, I wonder why? Maybe it's only obvious to those of us down by Lake Michigan? Anyways, that show makes my blood boil. It always makes me angry like this. biggrin.gif
arachnidoc17
And I just realized, do people in Europe really care that much about the presidential election?
gothictheysay
And I just realized, do people in Europe really care that much about the presidential election?

Here's an example of an American acting like the ones on TV: brash, arrogant, rude, etc... by answering for some Europeans tongue.gif I suspect they do, because the president makes decisions that concern everyone, and if they do not think that the president is a good one, they aren't going to be so self-centered as to say "Well it isn't my country, I don't care."
arachnidoc17
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Oct 11 2004, 08:18 PM)

Here's an example of an American acting like the ones on TV: brash, arrogant, rude, etc... by answering for some Europeans tongue.gif I suspect they do, because the president makes decisions that concern everyone, and if they do not think that the president is a good one, they aren't going to be so self-centered as to say "Well it isn't my country, I don't care."

I consider myself "severely misinformed."
beleraphon
I'd saw that europe does care about the outcome of the us elections cause we then have to deal with whever you end up with. But as for all the debating, mud slinging, bickering etc... I don't think we much care.
Mata
I know I care, and most people I know care a lot about it too. I've been staying up to watch the debates (which happen at 2am by UK time) just to see if one of them looks likely to swing it their way.

Bush has no concern at all for the rest of the world's values, only those that he thinks are important to the US right now. Never mind that his abject lack of environmental policy is aiding the destruction of the planet that we all have to live in. Or that his foreign policy has led to there now being more members of terrorist groups in the world than when he started the 'war on terror'. Or the simple fact that the prime minister of my country seems utterly blind to Bush's faults, making us a victim to Bush's bad decisions too...

Yes, I really do care a great deal about the American election, and it worries me that many Americans seem less interested than me!
Usurper MrTeapot
[quote] Considering how much space America has, there really aren't enough accents to go around. Make up some new ones. [/quote]
Either that, or they're simple, nasty accents. My old choir teacher always said to pretend we were British when we sang because we sounded all the better. [/quote]

We were always told to sing with an american accent as english vowels are longer so ruin the tempo of the song or something. *shrug*
Jonman
QUOTE (lygophilia @ Oct 11 2004, 10:08 PM)
QUOTE (Jonman @ Oct 11 2004, 03:48 AM)
Really? huh.gif A couple years ago in my debate class, we had a girl come in debating on the whole alcohol thing (and she did a fantastic job). Basically it was that the US has a lot more binge drinking than Europe (at least for teenagers), due to the fact that you grow up with wine for dinner and stuff. The drinking age in America is 21, and teens want to do it partially because they're not allowed to, not because of rebellion (which can be a reason), but because when something is banned, it seems more... fun.

Oh, now I remember. The debate had to do with teenage drunk drivers. She said we should take away they drinking age limit altogether, which would help in the long-run, but now... there'd probably be more crashes and deaths by drunk drivers than there are now. It's a decision you'd have to make, and I'm not sure many people would risk it all for something that won't even help until after our deaths.

And you do grow up with wine where you guys are, right? wink.gif

Sure, America does have more of a problem with alcohol than Europe. But we, here in Britain, are but a small part of Europe, and boy, do we have the alcohol problems sown up. Having lived in downtown Seattle, and downtown Leicester (England) back to back, the differences are incredible.

We, the British, have a problem with drinking. We are incapable (as a society) of responsible drinking. Between 60 and 80% of admittances to Accident and Emergency departments in cities on a Friday and Saturday night are alcohol related. I can guarantee you that I can walk a few hundred yards up my street in the middle of city on a Saturday morning, and they'll be at least one pile of puke. People regualarly take a piss on my front door.

I'm not sure that the problem so much is drunk-driving - there's been a huge crackdown on that in recent years, and there seems to be more of a social stigma attached to being a drunk driver in this country than I noticed in the US.

It's practically a rite of passage in one's teenage years here to get paralytic as often as possible. A high proportion of 14-15 year olds get drunk every weekend, despite the fact that the legal drinking age is 18. Now I'm a grumpy old man, I think it would do this country some good to tighten up the law on underage drinking, and maybe even raise the legal age to 21 in an attempt to combat that.
Hobbes
QUOTE (FishFace @ Oct 11 2004, 09:39 PM)
We call it the pavement.

Or the path.

I know personally many people that have a disliking towards Americans. And it drives me mad to hear them complain about the American people, when I can't personally see much of a difference between them and the British.

They view Americans as: dumb, loud and fat
I know a helluva lot of British people that are much the same.
And a helluva lot of American people that aren't at all.

Plus, I'm always hearing comments about the 'stupid American language'. Because they pronounce or spell a word differently, or use a different word entirely, to the British somehow makes it wrong and stupid.

QUOTE (monosodiumglutemate)
My friend and I are working on it. It is a combination of old english, american english, random badly-pronounced french words where they seem right, random badly-pronounced german words where they seem right, and random words (ie, I officially have replaced 'feet' with 'feefs'. the singular can either be pronounced 'feef' or 'fife'). just wait. it will sweep the nation.

Random words, badly pronounced/used french and german words, etc.
Sounds much like British English to me.
FishFace
I was not saying that the US version is wrong, stupid or in any way associated with your intelligence. But it is most definitely a point of amusement.

Alcohol is a definite problem. I've never been drunk, and people my age hear this they're pretty incredulous. It's quite sad when you're considered sad if you're not drunk every weekend.
I think the high drinking age is part of it, and the fact that we don't get much sensible drinking at a younger age (e.g. a glass of wine with dinner) so that we're bursting for a chance ASAP.

In Germany, I've been with people drinking, and they had one pint each (except for Phil, because he's diabetic) They drink for the taste, not for a high.
arachnidoc17
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 12 2004, 09:12 AM)
I know I care, and most people I know care a lot about it too. I've been staying up to watch the debates (which happen at 2am by UK time) just to see if one of them looks likely to swing it their way.

Bush has no concern at all for the rest of the world's values, only those that he thinks are important to the US right now. Never mind that his abject lack of environmental policy is aiding the destruction of the planet that we all have to live in. Or that his foreign policy has led to there now being more members of terrorist groups in the world than when he started the 'war on terror'. Or the simple fact that the prime minister of my country seems utterly blind to Bush's faults, making us a victim to Bush's bad decisions too...

Yes, I really do care a great deal about the American election, and it worries me that many Americans seem less interested than me!

Well, I think the media only really focuses in on the little bubble around the US that the president created. I NEVER hear anything about how Europe feels, how Asia feels, how Africa feels,- only what our economy is doing. Oh, and a side-note...

Where would the US be right now if we sat down after Pearl harbor and said to ourselves, "What did WE do wrong? Why did they do this to us and how can we change ourselves so this does not happen again?" Just a little thought, to show you both politicians are horrible. These are some reasons of why we don't care as much.
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 12 2004, 09:12 AM)

The sad fact is that we've been lied to so often, and the politicians have been slinging mud at each other for so long, that most Americans have become apathetic, figuring that one candidate can't possibly scr*w us over any worse than the others.

I, however, do care, despite the fact that my liberal vote tends to get lost in the sea of conservativism that is South Carolina. BUt I still do my part... Having voted for one president that actually made it, and several who didn't. *Sigh*

And as for Bush making decisions he feels is best for our country... Bullsh*t, pardon my french (Actually, anglo-saxon, but who cares...). Bush is doing what's best for Bush and his conservative cronies, including the military and big business. The only reason we're in this war on terrorism is that Oil fields lie in the balance, and Saddam Tweaked Daddio's nose when he was president. 911 played right into Bush's hands...

And, speaking of the debates... I nearly fell off my chair when Bush said he'd been 'a good steward of the land'. How dare he! look under 'bald faced lier' in the encyclopedia, and Dubya's picture will be right there...

Okay, rant over (For now)
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (monosodiumglutemate @ Oct 11 2004, 08:35 PM)
also, is it true that, in hotels and the like, if you called for a wake up call from Room Service for, say, 6 in the morning, the English term would be that they would 'knock you up' at 6 in the morning?
intriguing.

It's always called a Wake Up call in the hotels I stay in. You must stay in some funny places huh.gif

I love Americans, America and all things American biggrin.gif Most people on the board know this already anyway laugh.gif I don't think nationality has anything to do with stupidity. Bush is stupid because he's stupid not because he's American.
monosodiumglutemate
intriguing.

It's always called a Wake Up call in the hotels I stay in. You must stay in some funny places

My Social Studies teacher, blissfully off-topic as usual, was mentioning different 'lingo' from where he went on one of his vacations, and that came up. Now that I think about it, it may have been scotland..
Mutilation
No, in Scotland it's "When do you want your deep fat fried caramel crumb choclate chip Mars bar?" Because this is a Daft area thread and we are allowed to pretend to be prejudice.

And there is a big differece between path and pavement. A pavement is next to a road. A path is something that runs through the countryside of forest or other stuff like that.

And I don't think they would really say that. It still does me the same thing in English in a hotel as it does in American in a hotel.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Oct 13 2004, 05:12 PM)
No, in Scotland it's "When do you want your deep fat fried caramel crumb choclate chip Mars bar?" Because this is a Daft area thread and we are allowed to pretend to be prejudice.

Nice recovery...

QUOTE (Mutilation @ Oct 13 2004, 05:12 PM)
And there is a big differece between path and pavement. A pavement is next to a road. A path is something that runs through the countryside of forest or other stuff like that.

Not where I live/have lived. Path and pavement are interchangeable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.