Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slipknot Or Queen?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Media
Pages: 1, 2
laenan kite
i personaly preefer slipknot but me an my mate argue about it loads.
im handing it ova 2 u, settle the argument 4 us plz?
Usurper MrTeapot
Totally different styles and periods of music. But I'd rather listen to Queen.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
I agree with Mr Teapot, here. You can't really compare the two.

But Queen, all the way. tongue.gif
artist.unknown
Chalk and cheese...but I like Queen meself. But then again, it's the difference between a song with a segment done in bicycle bells versus screaming obscenities into a microphone. Not really many subtleties to compare.
The Lorax
I like them both equally. It's not wrong..... unsure.gif
Righteous
I'm a Slipknot fan who wants to know how the Hell you and your friend came up with this.

Doesn't this belong in Media?
The Tortured Soul
like um both prefere slipknot... but u can't realy compare them!!!
LoLo
No comparison and off this goes to media.
PsychWardMike
How the hell can you compare those two bands? Really? They are not only completely different stylistically, but in talent and time era. Queen rules hands down because of their amazing and catchy songs, brilliant instrumentals and harmonies, and incredible front man. Slipknot, however, are complete crap nu-metal bull s__t (sorry mods, but that had to be used) (no actually it didn't so I editted it - LoLo) with horrible lyrics and music and morons that dress up as their only (and completely stupid) gimmick.

There is no contest at all.
Spacehappy
That's like comparing Enya with the Ramones, but queen all the way.
Faerieryn
May I say the almighty Queen but the others are right. How can you compare the sheer genius of Queen to a band that won't last until the end of the decade?
Mata
It's probably too easy to underestimate the influence of Slipknot, but almost impossible to overestimate the influence of Queen, so Queen it has to be.

While I'm here:
im handing it ova 2 u, settle the argument 4 us plz?

laenan kite, there are generally accepted standards of the English language that are present on this board. This doesn't mean that you need to write as if you are handing is a doctoral thesis, but it does mean making the effort to write full words and use capitals.

I have this guide for the sake of people who post on here as well as for my own sanity. I'm sure that when you read this you will want to complain about how much effort it is to type full words, however, that is precisely the reason you should do it. Most of the people on these forums are attending educational establishments and as such they will be handing in essays. I suspect that you are too. The sooner that you learn to type in correct English then the easier it will be to get good grades effortlessly. Imagine if the rest of your class types essays in a similar style to 'im handing it ova 2 u, settle the argument 4 us plz?' and then you hand yours in using the style 'I'm handing it over to you, settle the argument for us please?'

Even if the points that you make when typing in text-speak are stronger than those being made by a person using correct English, the other person will still be listened to more than you are. This is because their style gives the reader a level of respect that is not implicit in a text-speak style or writing. To put it another way, if you give the impression that you don't care about the reader then why would you expect that readers will care what you say?
o0fish0o
i enjoy queen emensly, disite the fact that i am terrified of freddy murcury's massive overbite....
Quoth(The Raven)
No idea who Slipknot is... and from reading the entries here, I'm sure I don't want to... Queen, though, is almost universal; a class act from start to finish. I remember hearing 'Bohemian Rhapsody' for the first time... Absolutely mesmerising. And the soundtrack for the movie Flash Gorden, though seemingly at odds with the retro look of the movie, gave it a unique feel... Freddy Mercury is sorely missed.

This disorganised tribute brought to you by the state of exhaustion... laugh.gif
Righteous
Slipknot is a highly successful new metal group from Des Moines, Iowa. Though every album is different, their music is usually very fast, very hard and very dark. Their lyrics are usually violent, emotional and/or enigmatic. Their lineup is a vocalist, two guitarists, a bassists, a drummer, two custom percussionists, a DJ and a samplist. They all wear jumpsuits of the same color (be it red, black, green or whatever interests them at the time) and masks that change about every album. They also hate Limp Bizkit.

I'm into them because of the way they use the drums and guitar and because of their lyrics. It also makes me think of high school summers when we'd pile into my friend's car and cruise around having nowhere to go but one of our houses.
gothictheysay
blink.gif You can't compare these... Queen, obviously.
dancing hamster guy
Queen are one of the best bands ever and always will be - can't say the same for Slipknot - What exactly is the purpose of their music? They just shout and play loudly so that you can't understand what they are going on about. And the Masks - they look like they have come from a low budget horror film!

No and I mean NO way will Slipknot ever be half as good as Queen!

Sorry!
Righteous
WHat do you mean? I can understand them just fine better than I can understand 90% of the ebonics-ridden so-called rap and R&B they play on top fourty radio. It's a hell of a lot deeper. I couldn't imagine Corey Taylor singing about his shoes or advising a friend of his to deny cheating on his lover. If that were so, I'd go buy some rock salt to spinkle over the parts of Hell that had frozen over.

It's not that I don't respect Queen. They're all right. I'm just a big Slipknot fan.
dancing hamster guy
QUOTE (Righteous @ Oct 11 2004, 03:14 PM)
WHat do you mean? I can understand them just fine better than I can understand 90% of the ebonics-ridden so-called rap and R&B they play on top fourty radio. It's a hell of a lot deeper. I couldn't imagine Corey Taylor singing about his shoes or advising a friend of his to deny cheating on his lover. If that were so, I'd go buy some rock salt to spinkle over the parts of Hell that had frozen over.

It's not that I don't respect Queen. They're all right. I'm just a big Slipknot fan.

OK....*backs off slowly*
Sir Psycho Sexy
uhh...i'd rather snuggle close to a rather violent and possibly poisenous cactus than listen to slipknot....so queen
dancing hamster guy
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Oct 11 2004, 03:49 PM)
uhh...i'd rather snuggle close to a rather violent and possibly poisenous cactus than listen to slipknot....so queen

Thankyou!
Righteous
Has anyone other than me actually listened to Slipknot in-depth and not just one or two songs from the radio or MTV? Or worse, judged their music based on pictures from a magazine?

Believe it or not, you get a better view of a band if you listen to the whole album or even better, more than one album.
arachnidoc17
This poll reminds me...
Spacehappy
QUOTE (Righteous @ Oct 11 2004, 04:57 PM)
Has anyone other than me actually listened to Slipknot in-depth and not just one or two songs from the radio or MTV? Or worse, judged their music based on pictures from a magazine?

Believe it or not, you get a better view of a band if you listen to the whole album or even better, more than one album.

I have listened to Slipknot alot, and seen a huge amount of there videos. My ex and a friend liked/love them, but i think the old death metal bands like Death did it better. They market themselves quiet well though as there image is of a violent nasty band, when they are really quiet tame.

The reason Queen are better is because they, have a better sound and more sing-along-ability to them. Oh and because it's QUEEN!!!!!!.
artist.unknown

I don't judge bands by their pictures or who's in them (I'm a Cake obsessive but I couldn't tell you for my life even how many people are IN the band). I borrowed a Slipknot CD and listened a couple times, and it simply didn't click with me. I agree with being open towards new music, and not judging it based on inane or arbitrary things.
PsychWardMike
Yeah, I've listened to 'em a lot, Ri. Two or three CDs worth (I think.) All of it was so bland and unmemorable, though, that I'll be goddamned right now if I can name one song of it. As is, I didn't like their musical stylings - it bored and bugged me. And their masks bug the hell out of me as well - I hate that one needs a gimmick to succeed, and if I don't like the person, than I pretty much can't like the music. The same goes for ICP, Marilyn Manson, and various others.
Righteous
QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Oct 11 2004, 12:11 PM)
I agree with being open towards new music, and not judging it based on inane or arbitrary things.

A lot of people do, though. When Mudvayne and Mushroomhead came on the scene, so many people thought that they were just like Slipknot, especially Mushroomhead. So what if the jumpsuits are a different style and the masks are all uniform and the music sounds absolutly nothing like Slipknot. They're exactly the same. Nevermind the fact that Mushroomhead is older, has been around longer and has worn said uniform years before Slipknot. I have to ignore vital details in order to support my arguement. Please note the tone and sarcasm.

They don't need the gimmick, Mick. Look at Mudvayne. Have you seen them on the Summer Samitarium tour? No makeup, no weird clothes, just tee shirts and jean shorts, except Ryan because he can't play in anything but long pants and no shirt.

I personally don't like ICP because they suck ass. Maralyn Manson's pretty cool, though.
laenan kite
[quote]Has anyone other than me actually listened to Slipknot in-depth and not just one or two songs from the radio or MTV? Or worse, judged their music based on pictures from a magazine?

Believe it or not, you get a better view of a band if you listen to the whole album or even better, more than one album.[/quote]
[/quote]

well at least one person agrees with me...........

hey polo is this beter?
PsychWardMike
Ri, bro. They have a gimmick, it pisses me off. Manson pisses me off because he goes out of his way to be a douche bag and puts out crappy music, but that's a rant for an entirely different day.

Still don't like Slipknot (or the other aforementioned bands, but that's not the point) and I don't think I will - it'll probably be best if we agree to disagree and not become rabid little bitches.

Six nipples and everything.
Righteous
[spam]
(foams at the mouth)
Aaaahh! Aaaahh! Aaaahh!
[/spam]

Even Mushroomhead? They're a lot more musically intelligent than Slipknot. They have a lot better messages and a REALLY, REALLY wide variety of sounds.
gothictheysay
I don't judge bands by their pictures or who's in them (I'm a Cake obsessive but I couldn't tell you for my life even how many people are IN the band). I borrowed a Slipknot CD and listened a couple times, and it simply didn't click with me. I agree with being open towards new music, and not judging it based on inane or arbitrary things.

It was either five. Or six. I think. biggrin.gif
I haven't listened to much slipknot music, but I've listened to enough to know what most of the music they play is. I'm not going to go through the whole trouble of listening to an album if I think I'm not going to like it - call me close-minded like that, but I can't download music anymore, and I don't want to waste my time trying to listen to music I know for a fact I won't like. If I'm listening to a band I think I might like I'll give them a chance, but based on what I have come across that's slipknot-related I know I most likely would not like them. Also I know they can't be compared because of their styles.
PsychWardMike
Heh. Rabies.

Can't say I've listened to a lot of Mushroomhead. I tend to keep my metal old school (read: Metallica, Black Sabbath, Guns N Roses, even some Megadeath if feeling in a particularly metal mood) but I've heard some very brief things from Mushroomhead and am... less than impressed.

I just don't like new or nu metal in general.
laenan kite
we need more slipknot fans on here.oand by the way please dont use this thread to take a dig at bands you dont like, respect others tastes
Sir Psycho Sexy
righteous, I'm not going to force myself to listen to a whole album from a band I don't like....
laenan kite
apart from townies of course.no-onecares what they think
Sir Psycho Sexy
there aren't any of them here
Oni Usagi
The trick to listening to slipknot for me, is listening to the right songs. I liked the ones I heard on the radio, so I went and got one of their cd's from the library. I hated the cd. But then my friend made me listen to a few of the songs that he liked, and I liked those songs, now I like even more of their songs, but not even close to all of them. Oh, and the new cd isn't nearly as heavy as the older stuff.

Now, where queen is concerned, I used to have one of their albums on my computer (are there more than one?) and still have the songs I bothered listening to to find out if I liked them. I'd have the whole thing if it weren't for the fact that my hd gets full quite often. I like queen, and they're definitely more universally good to listen to. By this I mean, more apt to be liked by random person who hears them for the first time. However, I usually prefer Slipknot due to the fact that I'm normally bored and need fast loud music to make me not fall asleep or cry.

[/huge rambling post]
PsychWardMike
Kite, I'm getting real sick of you. Shut up about the goddamned townies and whatnot. I've yet to find a decent post contributing to anything on the boards from you. And as for betrayal? Why the hell would someone having their own OPINIONS be betraying you?! To think that everyone who hangs out on a message board (and thust everyone else) is just like you is bloody appalling. And then you have the balls to tell us not to express our opinions?!

GAH!

AND WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THE TEXT SPEAK?! OVER AND OVER AGAIN WITH THE GODDAMN TEXT SPEAK!

LiEk OmGwtFlolroFLMaoBBW!!!!!one!one!!!11111onemilliononehundredeleventhousandonehundredeleven.

*pant pant pant*

And now to dust off an old chestnut:

*head*
*Hit*
*KEYBOARD*

God, this is like -Kurt all over again.
Oni Usagi
So, I voted for slipknot, but I like queen, too. I agree with the fact that they aren't really compareable at all. I had a feeling Slipknot would be the underdog, and if I have to be honest with myself I like them more, at the moment.

*didn't think this was the hypocritcal b------g at random forumites thread*
DarkInferno
Queen by a god length.

listened to 2 Slipknot albums.. deleted them.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Oct 11 2004, 10:24 PM)
Kite, I'm getting real sick of you.  Shut up about the goddamned townies and whatnot.  I've yet to find a decent post contributing to anything on the boards from you.  And as for betrayal?  Why the hell would someone having their own OPINIONS be betraying you?!  To think that everyone who hangs out on a message board (and thust everyone else) is just like you is bloody appalling.  And then you have the balls to tell us not to express our opinions?!

GAH!

AND WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THE TEXT SPEAK?!  OVER AND OVER AGAIN WITH THE GODDAMN TEXT SPEAK!

LiEk OmGwtFlolroFLMaoBBW!!!!!one!one!!!11111onemilliononehundredeleventhousandonehundredeleven.

*pant pant pant*

And now to dust off an old chestnut:

*head*
*Hit*
*KEYBOARD*

God, this is like -Kurt all over again.

....do you have high blood pressure? it seems like you should somehow....
Usurper MrTeapot
Woah woah woah.

I like Slipknot to a certain extent. But I like Queen a lot more. Just I can't compare them, I'd listen to Slipknot if I was in that sort of mood where Queen just doesn't fit same as after I've had a really good day I can't put on Slipknot or I'll slip back down to a bad mood. Like both, like Queen more, Queen got my vote.
Oni Usagi
*Just thought of something*
Get ready for a blast from the not so distant past.

EDIT: My bad, my brain was putting the yay or nay thread together with the game thread where you name 2 things and the next person picks one and does the same, creating one mega-jumbo super thread.

*Whacks Tara and Dace over the head for the next post*
Tarantio
I say we ban the six people (to date) that had the idiocy to vote for slipknot. I mean, really. Well, alright, lets just point at them and jeer. A lot.

/me points

/ME POINTS, IN AGREEMENT
Hobbes
Definitely Queen.
And we all miss Freddie Mercury.

Queen's humour, as much as their musical ability and style, helped them become a band that will be remembered for a good few decades yet. Their music just appeals to me.

Slipknot... I just don't enjoy their music at all. Two friends of mine in the past have forced me to listen to their Slipknot albums, and I personally didn't enjoy them at all. I didn't view their music as showing any particular talent, or touching me in any way. I know a billion and one people that would disagree entirely, and that is all down to musical taste I think.

I like Queen's music.
I don't like Slipknot's music.
Spacehappy
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Oct 12 2004, 06:55 PM)
I say we ban the six people (to date) that had the idiocy to vote for slipknot. I mean, really. Well, alright, lets just point at them and jeer. A lot.

/me points

/ME POINTS, IN AGREEMENT

Best idea yet can we throw in a banning for Mutilation as well to seal the deal? wink.gif
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Best idea yet can we throw in a banning for Mutilation as well to seal the deal?

You're like a little terrier with a dead rat, aren't you darling? tongue.gif
Spacehappy
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Oct 12 2004, 09:22 PM)
Best idea yet can we throw in a banning for Mutilation as well to seal the deal?

You're like a little terrier with a dead rat, aren't you darling? tongue.gif

Ummm yeh, when i dislike something i try to make it obvious to avoid any confusion!. biggrin.gif
Righteous
No, SPS. Don't worry about Mick. He doesn't have high blood pressure, just a short fuse for hijinx similar to those of Laenen Kite.

And what's with you guys and wanting to ban people? Jeez. Thank God Matazone is a benevolent dictatorship rather than a democracy.
El Nino
Although I voted for Slipknot I've got to say that those damned radio stations that play the other band were insistent that you instantly recognize them so I say queens popularity can be mainly blamed on them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.