IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Abbreviations: Your Verdict, lol, brb, g2g, gr8, lmao, roflmao, etc.
Should abbreviations stay or go?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 32
Guests cannot vote 
JimiJimi
post Oct 16 2004, 12:57 PM
Post #1

I'm afraid I'm back.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,308

Somethings like etc, ie, eg, and the formal abbreviations I like, but I can't stand people who just say stuff like LOL U R SOOOO LOL COS IT RELY GD AN MEET ME DWN TWN AT THE PZA SHP COS IT LOL DER.

Cast your verdict, and vote!

(Plus, I can't stand people who spell etcetera)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
El Nino
post Oct 16 2004, 01:12 PM
Post #2

I pull the wings off god

Member No.: 1,340

Well on forums and such like I agree that abbreviations should be eliminated, abolished and generally obliterated but I feel that they are quite necessary for phone text messages.

--------------------
Please try to remember, when reading my posts, that I've probably not watched the same films & tv shows as you. I try not to watch music vids & I've also probably not even heard about them from other people. Man to woman "If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong!"/She's all lips & hips, she knows how to use them to make you flip//Liquor store & gun store, next to one another, with only one purpose, so you all kill each other,//Member of the pro cath association // Froggys' sugar-e-daddy//You can't spell politics without tics/[b]/Note to self: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations = human stupidity.Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the females (not shemales).

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Oct 16 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #3

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

I nulled my vote; banning all abreviations would be silly, especially the formal ones. I'm generally against 'txtspk' but the well known 'informal abbreviations' (as you called them) can be useful - its just when people start abbreviating the whole sentence to the point where it's unreadable that it gets awful.

LOL U R SOOOO LOL COS IT RELY GD AN MEET ME DWN TWN AT THE PZA SHP COS IT LOL DER - Anyone who says/texts/IMs/whatevers something along those lines should be shot (or more likely ignored because nobody can understand them).

gtg, my boss is heading this way ph34r.gif - Thats useful - pretty much everyone can understand it (if only from the context the abbreviation is used in) and it speeds things up nicely for the person about to get sacked for IRCing at work *whistles innocently*.

[edit]I also agree with what Because I Can' said - the informal ones should be used minimally and only if you need to get the message across quickly or if its something that gets repeated often, and only if its a well known abbreviation
[subedit tongue.gif]
Bah, you don't need to abbreviate to write text messages. Turn on predictive text and get off your lazy arse and learn to use it - because of the way it works it tends to help spelling and speed things up for both the sender and the reciever. Don't give me any nonsense about maximum length of 180 characters either, phones these days will automatically convert long messages into multiple messages.
[/subedit]
[/edit]

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 16 2004, 02:17 PM
Post #4

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

On Matazone, I'm not for abbreviations or any kind of text speak. While messaging, on the other hand, I'll say "LOL" and occasionally something minor.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
laenan kite
post Oct 16 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #5

You can't understand...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,347

ohmy.gif i dont think any abbriviations should be banned, but you should know were, and were not to use them .

--------------------
In the end, only kindness matters.

And I dont wanna fall in love; this world is always gonna break your heart.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 16 2004, 05:14 PM
Post #6

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

This thread perhaps mirrors ever so slightly the "Text Speak / Swearing" thread.

Keep formal abbreviations. Many of them are from latin, or the like, and - whilst I think you should still know what the abbreviation actually means in its full expanded format - it is awfully handy not to have to remember how to spell it. Plus, it would break up text too much to have to write exempli gratia rather than e.g. These abbreviations are not used to express emotions.

However, internet abbreviations - the majority of which are acronyms - are overused to the extent of meaning nothing. They are supposed to express an emotion of some sort, usually humour (lol, rofl, lmao). But most of it is just sheer laziness. And, like I said, they are used so much that "lol" no longer means, literally laugh out loud.

I agree with moop on such things as "g2g" and "brb" when you do have to escape rather quickly, and can't hang about typing too much in case you get caught doing whatever naughty things you were doing.

But preferably: full english sentences please!

I've voted for ban informal abbreviations. I can live without "lol" and its cousins. I am trying desperately to push it out of my typing (along with smilies), and instead tell people how I feel via actual words.

So there.

omg roflmao!!!!!1

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Oct 16 2004, 05:30 PM
Post #7

Along with smileys?

Sure, some people overuse them but they are useful or even essential if used correctly. They can make the difference between someone taking a comment as a joke or an all out insult and clear up lots of the ambiguities that go along with using text based media, since it loses any meaning that would normally be communicated by body language or tone of voice.

(On a side note at one point me and some friends were working on an instant messenger program which replaced smileys with gradually changing text colour indicating tone, though we couldn't work out how to make it quick enough for people to use properly so it never got into the final thing, which never got released anyways.)

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 16 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (moop @ Oct 16 2004, 05:30 PM)
Along with smileys?... They can make the difference between someone taking a comment as a joke or an all out insult and clear up lots of the ambiguities that go along with using text based media, since it loses any meaning that would normally be communicated by body language or tone of voice.

I agree that smilies are a very easy way of making sure you are "just kidding" or what-have-you. And books only manage to get across sarcasm, insult, etc. via the narrative. Which is why I often go for the following option:

"You are clearly stupid," Hobbes said with a wink.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 16 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #9

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

"Hobbes, you are such a butt head," Ri said playfully sticking his tongue out.

vs.

Hobbes, you are such a butt head. tongue.gif

I personally would have to go with the second there, bro. Maybe it's just because I'm more of a visual person.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 16 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #10

What did people do before smilies?!
Probably just went:

"Clearly, you are stupid <--- sarcastic joke, no insult intended!"
or
"Clearly, you are stupid. Hahahahahahahah funny joke hahahahahahah."

Actually, I know people that do the second one.

ALL
THE
TIME

Man, I hate it. I'm back on the side of smilies again.

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Oct 16 2004, 11:03 PM
Post #11

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

This is a bit of a biased poll. You don't offer us with an option that says, "I really like abbreviations and use them tastefully."

A sprinkling of abbreviations helps quite frequently in messaging. lol or lmao expresses that you heard the joke and found it quite funny.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
JimiJimi
post Oct 17 2004, 10:26 AM
Post #12

I'm afraid I'm back.

QUOTE (Tigersong @ Oct 17 2004, 12:03 AM)
This is a bit of a biased poll.  You don't offer us with an option that says, "I really like abbreviations and use them tastefully."

Sorry 'bout that, Tigersong, I didn't really think about that much. If I had, I would've had 'Keep all abbreviations' and 'Ban Smileys' and all that stuff in the poll. But what if someone wanted to keep abbreviations and smileys? Or if they wanted to ban smileys and formal abbreviations? If I had every single possible outcome surely the poll would be much too long. Anyway, just use the 'Why should I care' or just don't vote - just state your opinion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcsimong
post Oct 18 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #13

get to know yourself.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 700

basically i think all netspeak is really lame.
all of the following:

boo
nakka
bling-bling
yooh
meeh
qt
your
gurl
payce (instead of peace)
tenks
aightz
opps (it's spelled oops, imbecile!)
lolz
fo sho
wut
r (instead of are)
u (instead of you)
dawg
mayb (it's one more letter. Is it that hard?)

or if you:
blatantly spell things incorrectly
hAve a NERvoUs TiCK wiTH cApiTaLiZatiON (seriously, why?)
have no respect for grammar
don't know when a sentence should end
think you're "ghetto" and live in a middle-class home
replace any appearances of "ay" with an "ei" or "ai" (i.e.: gay = gei)
use a "z" instead of an "s" in any or all words.
replace any or all appearances of the letter "g" with a "q"

that all sounded really stuck up. haha.
well, maybe i'm just weird. it just bothers me a lot.

--------------------
JUST SHUT YOUR EYES,
AND I WON'T BLEED UNTIL YOU'RE SLEEPING.

_simon

the myspace
the band

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 19 2004, 05:15 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (mcsimong @ Oct 18 2004, 10:52 PM)
mayb (it's one more letter. Is it that hard?

lol... it makes me simultaneously amused and mad when people supposedly 'abbreviate' words for text messages and it turns out that, had they written it correctly, they would have actually used the same amount of characters.

+Quote Post
Black-Wings
post Oct 19 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #15

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 1,371

I think that all abreciavations should be kept because it is so much easier to write when you're on msn or something. However, once in and English essay I started using words such as 'u' and '...' by accident, and im not entirely sure that the tutor was very pleased. *oops, I've just had a burning desire to write 'lol' at the end of this* huh.gif unsure.gif

--------------------
If I die before I'm waked, allow me lord to rock out naked :b

VOTE BROTHER BLACK SHEEP.. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO...

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 19 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Black-Wings @ Oct 19 2004, 06:10 PM)
However, once in and English essay I started using words such as 'u' and '...' by accident, and im not entirely sure that the tutor was very pleased. *oops, I've just had a burning desire to write 'lol' at the end of this* huh.gif  unsure.gif

That's the worst thing about it, though - how it starts to move over into normal English usage. I remember being in my last year of sixth form, and seeing some of the stories and essays the new school kids had written. They were full of 'u' (you) and '2' (to) and '4' (four). And these were on the wall of the English classroom. I find that awful.

The thought that some of these kids will go into jobs and be writing reports using such abbreviations is terrible.

Just because it is easier/quicker to write, doesn't make it better. Indeed, most of the time it just confuses matters because it reduces the ease of comprehension. If it was truly worthwhile, and everyone could universally understand it without confusion, then I think such abbreviations would have appeared in writing hundreds of years ago.

I dont' know if anyone has a copy of it they could paste into the thread, but there was a joke email that circulated years ago about changes to the English language by removing silent letters, getting rid of superfluous double letters, having one letter rather than too similar letters ('Z' being used for 'S' and 'Z'), and other things. By the end, the writing is barely inteligible. Proves a point, I think.

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Oct 19 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #17

Not quite so bad as speech recognition software though, which replaced the word 'characters' with 'carrot characters' in an english essay about 5 years ago and not only got me a bad grade but made the teacher think I was odd.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JimiJimi
post Oct 21 2004, 11:29 AM
Post #18

I'm afraid I'm back.

Another thing that annoys me is people who say 'could of' 'should of' and 'would of' rather than 'could have' 'would have' and 'should have'.

I also hate the following:

PEOPLE WHO ALWAYS CAPITALISE.

people who never capitalise.

People who say 'kk'.

People who say 'k'.

People who keep writing on and on without a full stop or a comma.

Comic Sans (which I have deleted off my PC so I can no longer be plagued by it)

People Who Capitalise The Begging Of Every Word.

pEOPLE WHO DON'T REALISE THEY HAVE cAPS lOCK ON.

People who use lol, lmao, lmfao, rofl, roflmao, roflmfao, omg, wtf.

People who colour everything.

People who use unreadable colours.

People who write with stupidly large text.

People who write with stupidly small text.

English people who speak american (ie color)

People who use WordArt.

People who use ClipArt.

(Not being sexist) Teenage girls who are guilty of all of the above.

OK, I think I've practically exhausted my ranting capabilities for today...

--------------------

+Quote Post
exceptional1709
post Oct 21 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #19

Incapable of normal thought

Member No.: 1,344

Not so much an abbreviation as quite the opposite, a "gap-filler", but I can't stand it when people say, and type, "like" every other word.

Personally I really hate it when people substitute letters for no reason whatsoever, for example writing "boiz" instead of "boys", and when they write "lol" at the end of everything.

I don't mind smileys when they are used to communicate a feeling such as "that was a joke" that would take far more words, or to say "hahahahahaha" instead of typing it, which would get on my nerves much more.

I also agree with all of JimiJimi's list especially the point about Comic Sans, and don't understand most of this!

boo
nakka
bling-bling
yooh
meeh
qt
your
gurl
payce (instead of peace)
tenks
aightz
opps (it's spelled oops, imbecile!)
lolz
fo sho
wut
r (instead of are)
u (instead of you)
dawg
mayb (it's one more letter. Is it that hard?)

Was this the joke that was referred to, about changing the English language?

Having chosen English as the preferred language in the EEC (now officially the European Union, or EU), the European Parliament has commissioned a feasibility study in ways of improving efficiency in communications between Government departments. European officials have often pointed out that English spelling is unnecessarily difficult; for example: cough, plough, rough, through and thorough. What is clearly needed is a phased programme of changes to iron out these anomalies. The programme would be administered by a committee staffed at top level by participating nations.

In the first year, for example, the committee would suggest using 's' instead of the soft 'c'. Sertainly, sivil servants in all sities would resieve this news with joy. Then the hard 'c' could be replaced by 'k' sinse both letters are pronounsed alike. Not only would this klear up konfusion in the minds of klerikal workers, but typewriters kould be made with one less letter.

There would be growing enthusiasm when in the sekond year, it was anounsed that the troublesome 'ph' would henseforth be written 'f'. This would make words like 'fotograf' twenty persent shorter in print.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments would enkourage the removal of double letters which have always been a deterent to akurate speling.

We would al agre that the horible mes of silent 'e's in the languag is disgrasful. Therefor we kould drop thes and kontinu to read and writ as though nothing had hapend. By this tim it would be four years sins the skem began and peopl would be reseptive to steps sutsh as replasing 'th' by 'z'. Perhaps zen ze funktion of 'w' kould be taken on by 'v', vitsh is, after al, half a 'w'.

Shortly after zis, ze unesesary 'o' kould be dropd from words kontaining 'ou'. Similar arguments vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

Kontinuing zis proses yer after yer, ve vud eventuli hav a reli sensibl riten styl. After tventi yers zer vud be no mor trubls, difikultis and evrivun vud fin it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drems of the Guvermnt vud finali hav kum tru.

--------------------
Official Beanbag-monger for TRIBE WYVERN (Visit us here!)
VOTE MR SB FOR FAVOURITE ANIMATION! (Go here to vote!)
--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--
Proud owner of a Violet Scuttler from the Tribe Wyvern lab. Not for rental or resale.
Mata loves us, this we know. Because the forums tell us so. All our souls to him belong. We are weak but he is strong
Always read the small print. You never know what it might say. You're leaving your brain open to subliminal messages. Being paranoid is good.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 21 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #20

^ ^
QUOTE (exceptional1709 @ Oct 21 2004, 01:31 PM)
Was this the joke that was referred to, about changing the English language?

Yes, thank you. I think that illustrates how unreadable text can get with massive abbreviation.

QUOTE (JimiJimi)
People who use ClipArt.
People who use WordArt.

I thought I was the only one that hated WordArt - particularly when I see people using it on professional documentation. WordArt is so aesthetically displeasing that it makes me sick.

That goes for ClipArt too. It's overuse is horrible. "Hmm... there's a bit of space at the bottom of this research article about 'Cost Effectiveness'. I know, I'll put a picture of a cow there! Oooh.. arty!"

Actually, I agree with all that JimiJimi said. I'm not too keen on seeing any coloured text as the bulk text in instant messages, forum posts, or emails - as I like a bit of uniformity throughout the medium. I don't mind a little bit for 'bullet pointing' or emphasising but not for all the characters. It often makes you notice it first which, I guess, is the idea - but after a while you start ignoring it instead.

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Oct 22 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #21

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

I used to be an abreviation freak. But currently the only real abriviations I still use are 'g2g,' 'brb,' and 'lol.'

Out of those I normally only use brb and lol. -- But I used to always use lmao and lmfao and rofl and more

I was brainwashed and naive. I'm sorry.

*cries*

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Oct 22 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #22

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

I only started using abbreviations since I was introduced to MSN and then MIRC (which was only about 7 months ago).

I'm uncomfortable using them as a whole - it just doesn't feel quite right.

I'm a fan of smilies though *noddles*. I think it can let people know when you're not being a shitbag. If there's no smilies then you really did mean to be a shitbag - like that time when you were joking about that persons penis.

Probably. *shrug*

must. drink. less

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Oct 22 2004, 01:15 AM
Post #23

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

i have problems with sentence endings and the like.... thats why most of my posts you will find have the nice little "..." because well... i normally pause for three seconds trying to decide what to put... anhd then decided just to use the "..."

but i do have a problem with people that use "u" and "r" but i also typo... alot. so eh... i kinnda swing both ways but i try fairly hard to atleast use my "..."

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 22 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Oct 22 2004, 01:15 AM)
I'm a fan of smilies though *noddles* [...] *shrug*

Ditto that. I used to use them a lot - but haven't recently. However, I prefer them a great deal to abbreviations. It's nicer to see: "*laughs uncontrollably*" than "*rofl*"; plus it allows more creativity.

*chuckled quietly to himself*

Incidentally, I used to use double colons as parenthesis around the actions rather than asterixes in the past. I don't know why I changed.

::looks around::

+Quote Post
JimiJimi
post Oct 25 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #25

I'm afraid I'm back.

A couple more additions to my previously over-large post:

People who have emoticons in their IM screen-name

People who replace to or too wth 2, for with 4 and even some people who say 'i 4t u wer 2'

People who write stupidly long unnecessary posts like the one i made above.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 09:57 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!