Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> True Stories, The Lighter Side of Political Campaigns
Cavocy
post Nov 5 2004, 06:48 AM
Post #1

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,400

My sister spent the past month working for the Kerry Campaign at the national headquarters in Washington D.C. so if any of you called you may just have talked to her. She worked the phones many days sometimes there for over 8 hours a day, with a two hour trip there each way and working 4-6 days a week especially the last week when she worked every day. She answered several hundred calls a day. Some were boring, others depressing, but about 3 or 4 a day were the crazy calls. What I am about to tell you are real calls she recieved while working there, many of which I heard today after my four hour talk with her.

One of her first calls involved a very religious woman from the South who called to say she was voting for Kerry. She was she was doing this because she was convinced that Bush had started Armagedon and that he may very well be the Anti-Christ. She had numerous qoutes from Revelations as proof of this, but my sister unfortunately having no knowledge of the book could not remember them.

Another was a man who politely called to tell her that while he did not mean to upset or offend her, that Kerry should not be running for president as he was unfit for service and should have in fact been executed for treason in the 1970s. He again apologized, repeated that he did not mean to offend her, and promptly hung up.

Ms. Gail Anders called daily to say that she wanted to interview Senator Kerry as she was sure an interview between him and her (a disabled woman) would be sure to win him sympathy and eventually the presidency. She would later say that by not granting this interview they were tampering with the election process and she actually took it to court. It was dismissed in ten minutes.

My favorite though occured on Tuesday while she was working from 3-6. A woman from Utah called to ask if what she had done seemed alright to the campaign. She had been talking with a man in Pennsylvania who was a firm Nader fan who planned to vote for him. She agreed to vote for Nader if he would vote for Kerry in Pennsylvania (considered a key battleground state). My sister and the other volunteers agreed this was a good deal as Utah was already a lost cause for the Kerry campaign.

I hope that at least made you smile, even if the out come might not have.

~Lara
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 10:31 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!