IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Characters Such As 'mods’' Appear Instead Of, 'moderator'. Oo What's going on?
froggle-rock
post Nov 11 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #1

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,174

Hey there,
just thought I'd bring this to your attention. I've seen it about on the forum a bit, but just thought it was individuals actually typing like that, but then I was reading through this post and thought Mata wouldn't randomly be using characters, plus I specifically remember not seeing them there the first time I read it. So just to check it wasn't my browser (Safari) I asked Snoo, and she said she saw symbols there too.

So, erm, thats about it. wink.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Nov 11 2004, 02:27 AM
Post #2

This space intentionally left blank

Group: Admin
Member No.: 203

I suspect it's a case of the database having gone spoony. When I checked in on Sunday morning the whole forum was knackered because the posts table had gone the way of the dodo and needed to be repaired, so some oddness is likely.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 11 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #3

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

That post looks okay to me, but there has been some instability around lately. I suspect foul doings on behalf of my hosting company...

If only I had my own server working... HINT HINT HINT

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
ravein
post Nov 11 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #4

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 40

I get those strange characters as well. I am using XP with IE as my browser.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 11 2004, 05:01 PM
Post #5

It's about time you got Firefox then! It really is vastly better than IE in so many ways.

Download it here http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ (it's free)

Then check out here https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox to find all the fun and cool add-ons that you can get for it!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Nov 11 2004, 07:06 PM
Post #6

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

I just switched to Firefox, any plugins that you specifically recommend?

+Quote Post
exceptional1709
post Nov 11 2004, 07:24 PM
Post #7

Incapable of normal thought

Member No.: 1,344

I just switched to Firefox too! Looks like you've started something now, Mata! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Official Beanbag-monger for TRIBE WYVERN (Visit us here!)
VOTE MR SB FOR FAVOURITE ANIMATION! (Go here to vote!)
--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--
Proud owner of a Violet Scuttler from the Tribe Wyvern lab. Not for rental or resale.
Mata loves us, this we know. Because the forums tell us so. All our souls to him belong. We are weak but he is strong
Always read the small print. You never know what it might say. You're leaving your brain open to subliminal messages. Being paranoid is good.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Nov 11 2004, 07:53 PM
Post #8

omno-ahhhhhhh!

I have too downlaoded Fire Fox, cannae see much of a differance yet though. Never was a fan of IE though. Want to see what these plugins do though...

Still seeing the symbols about randomly though sad.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Nov 11 2004, 08:03 PM
Post #9

: P>

Member No.: 991

Nah, they still show up for me as well (Firefox 1.0 running on FreeBSD 4.10).

Definitely looks like the mangled database of doom is to blame sad.gif.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 12 2004, 12:07 AM
Post #10

Extenstions:

Adblock is fantastic, right click on things, enter the * to work as a wildcard and you can block partial addresses from advertisers. Hurrah!

IE view is handy for the occasional website that relies on old badly coded script to make things happen that doesn't work with Firefox.

Foxytunes is good too, because you can control your media players through a tiny bar at the bottom of your browser. Cool!

I love 'All-in-one gestures' (in Mouse gestures) Hold the right mouse button and draw on the page to do things, draw up for a new tab is great, I use it constantly!

If you look in the Misc section you can get a 'homeland security threat indicator' to sit at the bottom of your browser window. Hurrah!

I like the 'Translate' extension. It saves me from copying stuff over into Babelfish manually. Perhaps not very useful if everything you see is in English.

Opine-It! 1.1 is a new one, but looks like it'll be great fun...

Oh, there's just loads. TabBrowser Preferendes hasn't been updated yet, but check back on the extenstions site occasionally for new releases. There really is loads of fun stuff in there, so have a browse around and try things out. I never thought that I'd find mouse gestures useful, but I use it constantly these days.

EDIT: IMPORTANT!

To make your life nice and easy, go to Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks>File>Import to grab all your old bookmarks from IE and put them straight into Firefox. Handy biggrin.gif

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Nov 12 2004, 02:34 AM
Post #11

omno-ahhhhhhh!

QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 12 2004, 12:07 AM)
Extenstions:
I love 'All-in-one gestures' (in Mouse gestures) Hold the right mouse button and draw on the page to do things, draw up for a new tab is great, I use it constantly!

EDIT: IMPORTANT!

To make your life nice and easy, go to Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks>File>Import to grab all your old bookmarks from IE and put them straight into Firefox. Handy biggrin.gif

*looks side ways at Mata*

You people and your multi buttoned mice, ph'char. dry.gif

The importing of bookmarks thingy is what I was looking for though. Thank you biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Nov 12 2004, 12:51 PM
Post #12

: P>

Member No.: 991

QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 12 2004, 12:07 AM)

I never quite got the hang of mouse gestures, it's fine but only once you've learned to use them, until then it's a nightmare of wrong gestures and accidentally buggering things up.

The alternative is pie menus, which are pretty similar but they draw a nice circular menu with pretty icons around the cursor to show you what will happen if you move the mouse in a certain direction. This means you can use the icons (or wait a second for text descriptions to pop up) when you're learning to use it, then when you get the hang of it just ignore the icons and let the commands flow from your cursor</pointless metaphor>.

Radial Context is one rather nifty example of this for Mozilla Firefox and also Classic Mozilla. Sorry Froggy, again it's only for people with multiple mouse buttons tongue.gif.

Also Firefox provides an option to let you open a link in a new tab just by clicking it with the middle mouse button, which is less frustrating than repeatedly mouse gesturing to open lots and lots of links. I use that feature a lot when browsing the forum laugh.gif .

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 12 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #13

There's another pie mouse gestures extension here

https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/morei...&id=29&vid=1069

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 11:31 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!