Reply to this topicStart new topic
> University Application, Oh, the fear :(
the lil' pie...
post Nov 17 2004, 10:48 AM
Post #1

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 160

Can anyone help me get over the sudden fear I've encountered whilst filling in my UCAS application online?
I'm scared. What if they don't want me? And I've only looked at two, so I have to apply to ones I haven't been to, and that's scary too, because if they're the only ones that accept me I might not like it there.
It's all just very frightening, and I feel quite alone in this, so I thought I'd talk to you guys, 'cause you're all great and wise etc...even simple hugs would help sad.gif

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 17 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #2

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 197

feel's like ages ago I did mine....well...2 and a half years, that is a fairly long time ago, typically it's not the UCAS application you have to worry about, it's you're A-Level results, that is what they generally look at....not exactly comforting, but don't worry about it.

Now, as you may or may not know, my A-level results aren't worth the paper they're printed on, but I'm still in University, soo...where was I going with this, probably that I can do it, anyone can, just don't play N64 when you're ment to be doing course work...not that I did...nope

*wasn't a waster...honest*

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Fallen Element
post Nov 17 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #3

Obliterates Everything He Kisses

Member No.: 633

Hey you!

Trust us on this one - as soon as you have filled out your UCAS application you forget about it. well, you forget about it until you get all those letters of acceptance back (which I'm sure you will)! And, if I can do it you can definately do it!

I'm in my first year as an English student and I like it. So just think of the great time you will have when you get you University and let the UCAS fear begone!

Panic not my lil-pie! We all love you!

Fal xXx

--------------------
The bookworm - bellydancing tart of Snuggles Harem
Fallen World
I have done it again. One year in every ten I manage it. . .

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Nov 17 2004, 02:03 PM
Post #4

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

*hugs*

You'll do just fine. You'll have a great time at university and make loads of friends that are probably loony in a similar way to yourself. You'll encounter people who know what you're talking about sometimes and that you can suck into Matazone. biggrin.gif
Just take it one step at a time. We're cheering for you.

*hugs again 'cause Pie is such a cutie*

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Nov 17 2004, 02:07 PM
Post #5

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

*uber hugs teh pie*

Don't worry about it. Like Fal said once you've sent it off don't think about it.
Don't get downhearted if you get rejected, screw them and get on with life! You apply to 6 places for a reason. If they all say no, again it's no big problem. There's always UCAS extra and even clearing, they exist for a reason.
I got offered a change of course and I accepted it, I love it and I think I'm enjoying it more than I would've my original course. They are always worth looking into.

Don't fret, you'll be fine. Now stop worrying!

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
squirrelntherain
post Nov 17 2004, 02:41 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,409

As all of these wonderful people have said, you'll do fine and life will be great. I think it's normal (or at least I'm going to tell myself it's normal, since I do it non-stop) to stress over things, even if you know they're going to turn out okay. Fill out the aps, take a deep breath, and wait for your letters, you'll be fine.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 17 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Ashbless @ Nov 17 2004, 02:03 PM)
You'll have a great time at university and make loads of friends that are probably loony in a similar way to yourself.  You'll encounter people who know what you're talking about sometimes and that you can suck into Matazone.  biggrin.gif

really? oh...I think I went wrong somewhere....that never happened to me and this is the 3rd year I've been at this god forsaken place...

For future reference, no one should EVER come to University of Glamorgan!! Well...maybe you should, it'd be nice to have friends *cue violin music* tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Nov 17 2004, 05:21 PM
Post #8

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

Don't worry, Pie Fairy, I'm doing exactly the same right now! I sent off my application back in October because my school is hyper-efficient, but it wasn't too much stress. Don't worry if you don't know much about the unis you're applying to because you'll have time to visit them when you've had all of your replies back.

The only thing you really need to be sure of is which fee-payer you choose on the online programme. MAKE SURE YOUR LEA IS PAYING FOR YOU. FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T MAKE SOMEONE ELSE PAY. Not a mistake you want to make.

+Quote Post
Daedalus
post Nov 17 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #9

Pretend you didn't notice

Member No.: 556

Don't worry Pie. I knew next to nothing about the Unis I applied to. The only one I really knew anything about was Keele (only from the Prospectus), and that ended in nothing, because they'd discontinued my course. Basically I just scoured the UCAS online course listings for my course or anything similar.

Don't get downhearted if you get rejected by any of them. Cardiff and Bristol (I forget which one) turned me down, but it makes very little difference. And don't worry that you haven't visited many of your choices, you'll most likely get that opportunity when they give you a conditional offers.

Another thing, although it's probably a bit late for it, don't put universities that you think are beneath you on your main UCAS application. That's what clearing is for. You want as good a choice as you can get. I made the mistake of putting Plymouth and Hull (sorry to anyone who's there!) on my application (which I could nearly get into with my AS results alone). When I got refused by the aforementioned two, that effectively left me with just Lancaster and Aberystwyth to choose as my Firm and Insurance choices.

Yeah, so basically don't fret, and set your sights (realistically) high. And remember, if you get refused by any, they must be run by stupid people.

*good luck huggings*

GO TO LANCASTER! GO TO LANCASTER! GO TO LANCASTER!

--------------------
I wub snoo

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 23 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Nov 17 2004, 05:21 PM)
The only thing you really need to be sure of is which fee-payer you choose on the online programme. MAKE SURE YOUR LEA IS PAYING FOR YOU. FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T MAKE SOMEONE ELSE PAY. Not a mistake you want to make.

I actually went back online just now, and made sure I filled that bit in right *grateful for correction* huh.gif

Thanks guys, you've made me feel all warm and loved inside smile.gif it's great to know people are having faith. I've made my choices, and I've just got the horrid personal statement to write, so it's looking better now!
Much love and pie for you all biggrin.gif

By the by, anyone know someone/actually themselves goes to Keele, Liverpool or Leeds? rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SHINY...

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 23 2004, 06:14 PM
Post #11

I swear your personal statement is a major thing to some places, I got interviews with all the places I applied to and I'm sure it was on the strength of the stuff I said I'd done (which wasn't an exageration) in my personal statement, even my head of 6th form thought it was pretty impressive and I got the distinct impression he thought I was a bit of a waster >_>

--------------------

+Quote Post
markslut
post Nov 23 2004, 06:32 PM
Post #12

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 909

Be careful of Exeter at the moment
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4035167.stm

--------------------
The combined Nurse and Geisha of ISH!
IPB Image
Your Corset is Your Armour - Lace it Tightly - Breathing is Unimportant

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 25 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Nov 23 2004, 06:14 PM)
I swear your personal statement is a major thing to some places, I got interviews with all the places I applied to and I'm sure it was on the strength of the stuff I said I'd done (which wasn't an exageration) in my personal statement, even my head of 6th form thought it was pretty impressive and I got the distinct impression he thought I was a bit of a waster >_>

Yeah, I've had my head of sixth form check mine twice now. He says it's good, and has that personal touch, so I'm hoping that'll do me. unsure.gif

--------------------

SHINY...

+Quote Post
Cassidy
post Nov 25 2004, 11:47 AM
Post #14

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,498

[quote=Sir_Psycho_Sexy,Nov 23 2004, 07:14 PM]
I swear your personal statement is a major thing to some places,

You will be fine.... the personal statement is a major thing here ( UWE Bristol ) and from what I have heard it is important with alot of other uni's but the addmision styaf are mostly very cool anfd know how nervouse applicants are feeling, if you haven't visited a uni give there admissions dept a ring and try to speak to the faculty you are interested in or get to an open day or see if they will see you outside of open days...
But in the end what ever uni you go to you can hav a realy good time and remember to check out the freashers for free stuff....most of the uni's do try realy hard to look after there freashers as well as ther other students

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Nov 26 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #15

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Nov 23 2004, 04:34 PM)
By the by, anyone know someone/actually themselves goes to Keele, Liverpool or Leeds? rolleyes.gif

Nope but I live near all three of those so yay for visiting biggrin.gif I can recommend Birmingham as I went there and it was fab but obviously it depends on whether they do the course you want laugh.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 26 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #16

You know that when I visit those three, I'm coming for a cuppa at least once now tongue.gif

--------------------

SHINY...

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Nov 26 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #17

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

I know a guy who's at Keele and a guy at Leeds (though a subcampus that's miles away and gonna be demolished soon). Can put you in touch if you wanna ask 'em stuff.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Nov 27 2004, 05:50 PM
Post #18

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Nov 26 2004, 04:40 PM)

Nope but I live near all three of those so yay for visiting biggrin.gif I can recommend Birmingham as I went there and it was fab but obviously it depends on whether they do the course you want laugh.gif

I'm near liverpool to dont know about the Uni but the city's pretty cool.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 29 2004, 08:57 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (moop @ Nov 26 2004, 07:39 PM)
I know a guy who's at Keele and a guy at Leeds (though a subcampus that's miles away and gonna be demolished soon). Can put you in touch if you wanna ask 'em stuff.

I wouldn't mind having a natter with the guy at Keele, if you'd sort it for me smile.gif

QUOTE (Cath @ Nov 27 2004, 05:50 PM)
I'm near liverpool to dont know about the Uni but the city's pretty cool.

Great, it does sound/look like it is. How's the nightlife??

--------------------

SHINY...

+Quote Post
Queenie
post Nov 29 2004, 10:42 AM
Post #20

YAY!!! Garfield my cute little honey bun!!

Member No.: 341

*coughs* I go to Leeds uni, and live in the student capital of Leeds - Headingley. Can meet up if you want?

--------------------
SQUEAK BED SQUEAK!!

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Nov 29 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #21

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Nov 26 2004, 03:40 PM)
You know that when I visit those three, I'm coming for a cuppa at least once now tongue.gif

It'd be my pleasure (assuming I'm not at work or away for the weekend) biggrin.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 30 2004, 08:57 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (Queenie @ Nov 29 2004, 10:42 AM)
*coughs* I go to Leeds uni, and live in the student capital of Leeds - Headingley. Can meet up if you want?

Forgot that! That'd be great, if I get the offer smile.gif if not, when are you next back home? You live in Abbotsley, I think? Which is five minutes away from me biggrin.gif

--------------------

SHINY...

+Quote Post
Queenie
post Nov 30 2004, 11:03 AM
Post #23

YAY!!! Garfield my cute little honey bun!!

Member No.: 341

Thats ok... I'm a forgettable person!! laugh.gif

Coming home for a tini-tiny bit before Christmas for mine and my bro's birthday and then working some more in Leeds but then coming home till early January on December 23rd. Will probably be in St. Neots quite a bit as Abbotsley is a ghost town!! laugh.gif

--------------------
SQUEAK BED SQUEAK!!

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Nov 30 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #24

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Nov 29 2004, 08:57 AM)
I wouldn't mind having a natter with the guy at Keele, if you'd sort it for me smile.gif

Will send his email address your way just as soon as he replies to me and says it's okay.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 30 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (moop @ Nov 30 2004, 12:21 PM)
Will send his email address your way just as soon as he replies to me and says it's okay.

Champion, thanks for that.

QUOTE (Queenie @ Nov 30 2004, 11:03 AM)
Thats ok... I'm a forgettable person!! laugh.gif

Coming home for a tini-tiny bit before Christmas for mine and my bro's birthday and then working some more in Leeds but then coming home till early January on December 23rd. Will probably be in St. Neots quite a bit as Abbotsley is a ghost town!! laugh.gif

Heh, that's an understatement. Do you have my new mobile number? It's changed since Leeds. We should go for drinks etc *opportunity for drinking targeted* rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SHINY...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:40 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!