Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Koяn, talk about your fav bands
PHEONIX-=SWEADY=...
post Jan 15 2005, 01:36 PM
Post #1

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,592

hey people how man yof you like Koяn n is anybody els here a sweady like me
sweady(relative of a goth) im a sweadywoot im also a noob to this place n i dont know how to use things n i get get a perosnal pikture working it ses theres an error

--------------------
[COLOR=blue]What is this place IT Heavens
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 15 2005, 02:06 PM
Post #2

Dirty Laundry

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,573

I like Korn!! but.. doesn't this belong in media?

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
PHEONIX-=SWEADY=...
post Jan 15 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #3

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
FINALLY SUM HU LIEKS Koяn vote for korn on my poll w0000ttt

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 16 2005, 01:12 AM
Post #4

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Hi there, you mention wanting to know about this place, there's loads of help for people trying to set up avatars in the Introductions forum in the threads pinned at the top. The most common problem is a mistyped URL.

While I'm here it's probably a good point to mention that this forum is for people to post in a reasonably accurate impersonation of standard English, meaning that we use capitalisation, punctuation, and try to spell things correctly whenever we can. There are many reasons that I have this as one of my rules but I'm not going to retype them all here. I know it's a pain to start off with but it does get a lot easier quite quickly, and it makes it more likely that people will read your posts rather than skipping them to read something that's easier on the eyes! Sorry to sound stern when you've only just joined, but I figured it was worth mentioning to help you get used to it as early as possible!

For the record, I think Korn are okay, but they're not really my thing.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 16 2005, 01:21 AM
Post #5

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

*is sulking that someone has managed to sully the good name of pheonix*

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jan 16 2005, 02:25 AM
Post #6

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

I can't stand Korn. The k. The backwards R. The stupid name in the first place. And their music isn't that good anyway. And please, do type properly. I've grown accustomed to not having to decipher anything and though I'm a bit spoiled, I must maintain my way of life.

For something more in my tastes... these bands are all good:

Blues Traveler
Meatloaf
Aerosmith
Metallica
Reel Big Fish
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

And they're all a tad more... musical than Korn.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 16 2005, 02:30 AM
Post #7

abbrasive and self-righteous as usual

--------------------

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Jan 16 2005, 02:58 AM
Post #8

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jan 16 2005, 02:30 AM)
abbrasive and self-righteous as usual

That's Mike for ya. But you gotta love him for his consistancy laugh.gif

As for Korn, I've heard a bit. It's not awful and it's not wonderful. It just is, I guess....wow, that was not helpful in the least. Sorry 'bout that.

But while I'm here, could you clarify what a sweady is? I've never heard the term, and I'm wondering what the difference is between a sweady and a goth is.

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jan 16 2005, 03:03 AM
Post #9

Because you're so much better, SPS

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jan 16 2005, 03:23 AM
Post #10

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

*grabs fire extinguisher*

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
PHEONIX-=SWEADY=...
post Jan 16 2005, 09:05 AM
Post #11

well i like Koяn the way its written is ment to be as a child rote it but dotn ask me why

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 16 2005, 01:09 PM
Post #12

They're good at the sort of music that they do, but to my tastes there are more fun nu-metal bands around than them. Still, there are many that are far worse than Korn. Were Korn the ones that did the track on the second Tomb Raider film? Angelina Jolie is in the video, they're playing music in an alley dressed in black, she's in white and there's some kind of portal/border between them. That's quite a fun track, if that was them. As you can probably guess, as a band they haven't made much of an impression on me!

And Mike, _again_, please don't be so dismissive. A simple phrase such as 'in my opinion' would be sufficient to make your language more polite. The problem is that you make proclamations as if there is no other way of seeing the world, and that's what winds people up. Sentences like "And their music isn't that good anyway." show that you are giving no room for other people's opinions, and flexibility is essential to discussion. Your style of writing would be suitable for writing television reviews in a newspaper, where monological barking is the usual form, but this is a forum for discussion and you really do have to learn to be tolerant of other people's tastes.

P-Sweady, could you _please_ try and use capitals and punctuation in your posts. It is the forum rules and AOL-spellings do tend to annoy people here (including me).

... Right, you lot, play nicely and follow the rules. At the moment it seems like every time I come on here I'm having to remind people how to carry out basic principles of polite discussion. I try to have fun in this place too, but this pettiness is irritating. I shouldn't have to keep on telling people these kind of things. If you are grown-up enough to be using the internet you should also know the basics of how to be tolerant of other people and the meaning of respect for the values of others. This covers the range from writing in correct English through to giving credence to interpretations of the world that differ from your own. These are not difficult things. Most of you probably do them every day with your families, your friends, co-workers, or teachers.

Respect and communication are the things that hold together a society. These two values do not come from religion or fear, they come from the most basic principles that have held together every human society from the start of recorded history. I believe that the society we are living in is tearing itself apart because these core values have been replaced with greed and selfishness. I have faith that our generation can be better than the one of our parents, I believe that we have the ability to reshape the world into a peaceful place, but we have to show tolerance and respect towards each-other. We have to be able to talk fluently, without dismissing ideas and thoughts that we disagree with. If we cannot even be eloquent, polite, and tolerant about something as simple as taste in music then how the hell are we going to ever learn to confront big issues in life when we meet people are racist or hold other bigotted values? Without reaching out to these people we will only reinforce their stereotypes and hate towards anything different from them. By attempting to understand others you can work with them to find a way of reaching a common ground from which you can progress.

This is also precisely why it is important to be able to communicate efficiently using the language available to us. Writing and speaking in eloquent English is difficult, and it takes practise, but learning it as a skill opens doors to you throughout your life. Without full control over our language then we stand less chance of ever being able to express ourselves or understand the opinions of others.

Yes, I know that this is a very grand view of the world to take from a stilted discussion of a metal band, but that's the point. We have to change the way that we think and act from the smallest things upwards if we are ever going to stand a chance of stopping hatred in this world. If we start now in the small places in our lives then the affects of these changes will resonate in our lives for longer, meaning that there is a greater chance that in the future will we be more prepared to face confrontations that will take all of our skill to overcome.

... And that's why, Mike, you will be more tolerant and careful with your language and why P-Sweady will write with correct English. Only you can save the world! biggrin.gif

I don't want to have to write something like this again tomorrow.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Jan 16 2005, 02:51 PM
Post #13

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

I've seen korn live, they were pretty good. They may not be the best band ever but they got two mosh pits going and I got stuck in the three rows of people that separated them. It was of much fun-ness.

smile.gif

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
PHEONIX-=SWEADY=...
post Jan 16 2005, 04:27 PM
Post #14

Koяn i think there musik great and the songs go deep no1 seems to realise they do most people i know just in it for the musik n dont focus on what they say the 1st album focussies on jonathon davies child hood and ion the second album kill you he goes really deep in that

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 16 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #15

Have you even read my requests that you type using capitals, puntuation, etc?

Your last post should read:

"I think their music is great and the songs are deep. No-one seems to realise they are, most people I know are just in it for the music and don't focus on what Koяn say. The 1st album focuses on Jonathon Davies' childhood, and on the second album 'Kill You' he goes really deeply into that."

Yes, I know it's effort, but it gets easier and it's the rules of this forum. Like it or lump it. Even people who have linguistic difficulties (such as dyslexia, which some of the members here have in varying degrees of severity) make the effort! It's the attempt that counts.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 16 2005, 06:34 PM
Post #16

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I like Korn. I mean, I don't like some of their loud bashy stuff, but Word Up is cool.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Jan 16 2005, 06:54 PM
Post #17

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

I don't mind Korn. I enjoyed the follow the leader (?) album but i picked it up because of the Greg Capullo (?) cover. I'm more of a soft rock fan myself. Oh and Sweady, no offense but your last post nearly made my eyes bleed. We don't mind spelling istakes in here heck we're not ALL perfect but PLEASE try and use syandard english as Mata asks. PLease!!!

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jan 16 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #18

Alright... let's repost this in the way that it was intended to be read. I really didn't mean to start an argument like that believe it or not.

---

"I personally can't stand Korn largely admittedly due to superficial reasons. The k and the backwards R bother me and I honestly feel that the name wasn't that great in the first place (band names say a lot to me.)

I also find that their music isn't very good either. I don't give much credit to the yelling and low tuned guitars, but some people do, and hey, that's their cup of tea.

And since this topic asks for people to discuss their favorite musical tastes, these are some running along mine:

Blues Traveler
Meatloaf
Aerosmith
Metallica
Reel Big Fish
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

I just find them to be a tad more musical."

---

Better? That's what I intended for it to sound like. No real offense intended.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 17 2005, 01:00 AM
Post #19

now THAT I can reply to,

The name bugs me too, also might have something to do with the association with those kids who label themselves goths.

Though I would argue against the drop tuning on guitars, open D (DADGAD) is a nice sound, I particularly like Lullaby by Creed for example. On top of that, some of the Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff uses E flat tuning, Under the Bridge being one...but don't hold me to that. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 17 2005, 03:07 AM
Post #20

Aww, it's a Mike/SPS love fest! tongue.gif Cheers Mike, I know that's the way you mean things to be read, but as you've no doubt gathered by now, that's not always the way it comes out. I've heard of all of those groups except for Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, what sort of thing do they do?

*watches as key tuning conversation goes over my head* Guitar-sound-twangy-goodness. Uh-huh. *nods*

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jan 17 2005, 03:15 AM
Post #21

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy was part of the swing revival of the 90's. Kind of like the Brian Setzer Orchestra, remeber them? It's neo swing and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy doesn't have the amazing guitar work of Setzer, but they have some great horn work.

Of course, I'd recommend any of my aforementioned bands, but that, of course is because they're my favorite band.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 17 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 17 2005, 03:07 AM)
Aww, it's a Mike/SPS love fest! tongue.gif

*shakes fist* why I oughta....!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jan 17 2005, 02:15 PM
Post #23

Stand down SPS... this is the almighty Mata you deal with. ph34r.gif

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
Daedalus
post Jan 17 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #24

Pretend you didn't notice

Member No.: 556

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jan 17 2005, 01:00 AM)
now THAT I can reply to,

The name bugs me too, also might have something to do with the association with those kids who label themselves goths.

Though I would argue against the drop tuning on guitars, open D (DADGAD) is a nice sound, I particularly like Lullaby by Creed for example. On top of that, some of the Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff uses E flat tuning, Under the Bridge being one...but don't hold me to that. wink.gif

Korn actually use 7 stringed guitars (usually tuned to A D G C F A D according to the tabs I've seen). Metallica sometimes use non-standard tunings as well Mike. Dropped tunings are indeed nifty, but I tend not to use them, simply because I can't be bothered with rebalancing my tremolo.

[/jargon]

Anyway, Korn are okayish, but they're a bit too nu-metally for my taste. I also saw them at Download (snoo would have been ripped apart by crazy moshing people if it weren't for me laugh.gif) and they are very good live, but they're still not really my cup of tea.

--------------------
I wub snoo

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 17 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Jan 17 2005, 02:15 PM)
Stand down SPS... this is the almighty Mata you deal with.  ph34r.gif

*mutters* fanboy....

*weeps for ibanez*

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 04:15 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!