IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Guild Wars, An Otherside Guild?
How many people are interested in creating a guild with me in the new MMORPG, Guild Wars?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 49
Guests cannot vote 
Feyliya
post Jan 17 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #1

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 380

Since not many people have posted on the MMORPG thread I thought I'd make a thread just to sound out how many people would be interested in playing Guild Wars in an Otherside guild. For those of you who stumbled onto this thread without knowing what Guild Wars is, or what a guild is, I'll explain shortly.

Guild Wars is a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) like Everquest, World of Warcraft, City of Heros, Dark Age of Camelot, Final Fantasy XI, and many others. It's a brand new game (so brand new, in fact, that it's not even out yet) that has promised to take all the spawn-camping, level grinding, and Ubers only syndrome out of the experience. Each zone is instanced so you and your party are the only ones fighting. Tactics, above all, are what is needed to play the game. The better you are at playing your character, choosing your team members, and choosing your spells, the easier the game will be.

The game is made so that every individual player in the game has the potential to change a part of the game itself through their actions. You can blow things up, tear down bridges, and drastically change the landscape. (I expect that in future expansions they'll make it so that you can build buildings, monuments, and bridges as well.) These changes are possible because the game is constantly streaming new information to your computer. And, amazingly, though having a high-speed internet connection is best, you can play perfectly well on dial-up.

PVP is also a good experience in this game. You can fight in arenas on randomized teams (no exp loss if you lose), you can fight other guilds in massive guild wars for fun and profit, you can duel complete strangers for honor and fame....the possibilities are pretty much endless. And, like in other parts of the game, tactics and skill are more important than level. I've seen people take out others twice their level thanks to superior skills (and I've done it myself as well).

The game is the most beautiful game I've ever played in my entire life. Seriously. It's freaking spectacular. Every zone is crafted with absolute loving attention to detail. Every monster is a work of art. The characters themselves could be real. It's amazing. And to prove it, I've got screenshots. Look Here. I just realized that I've grossly over-used the maximum allotment of bandwidth on this hosting site. I'm making a Photobucket album for the pics, though, so if someone would please be so kind as to PM me and tell me how to make it so that I can link it here with a password, I'd be much oblidged.

Now, about the guild I want to make (yes, I know, you're probably thinking "finally rolleyes.gif ). (For those of you who don't know what a guild is, a guild is basically the family you have on a MMORPG. These are the people who you play with the most and are the most likely to have a successful group with. In Guild Wars you get to wear a cape with your guild's symbol on the back. Tres Neato! biggrin.gif) I'd like to create a family-oriented guild centered around the Matazone forums and the camraderie we have here. Inviting other people from the game would be great, and having family and friends who aren't on the forums would also be awesome, but I'd like to have the core of the guild be Matazonians. Basically, we're awesome people, and I think that grouping together would be an absolutely fabulous experience and I'd like to see it become a regular occurance.

I'll come back and finish off my posting here later, and that's a promise (or a threat, depending tongue.gif). Right now I'm tired and Randy has The Bourne Supremacy on, and I'd really like to see it. I'll leave you all with the official Guild Wars website. If you have any questions, I can almost guarantee that it will answer them all.

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Jan 17 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #2

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,379

WOWOWOWOWOW Those pics look amazing. I want in! And fighting etc alongside Matazonians would be fantastic. Hey, Guild name or what?!?! huh?

Oooo I'm all excited now...*twitches*

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jan 17 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #3

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

I already said so, but a Matazone guild would definitely make me buy this.

Also, it's going to come out in Europe at the same time as the US! Thank God, somebody finally did that.

Oh, and Fey, you forgot to mention one thing that makes it attractive among other MMORPGs: no monthly fee!

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Jan 17 2005, 11:48 AM
Post #4

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Member No.: 1,379

No fee only makes the whole prospect even more alluring biggrin.gif

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jan 17 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jan 17 2005, 03:46 AM)
I already said so, but a Matazone guild would definitely make me buy this.

Also, it's going to come out in Europe at the same time as the US! Thank God, somebody finally did that.

Oh, and Fey, you forgot to mention one thing that makes it attractive among other MMORPGs: no monthly fee!

Yes, as Commie says, there is no monthly fee! Hurray! biggrin.gif ::dances:: You only have to buy the game itself, and you support it buy buying any expansions you like. Sooo much better than Evercrack, let me tell you! laugh.gif

Froggie and Moop just found out that GW is PC only. sad.gif Maybe they'll change their minds later and add Mac support. I hope so. There's lots of Mac players out there. sad.gif

For those of you who want to try GW before you buy it, I know a way for $10. EB Games, CompUSA, and a couple of other gaming stores are selling the pre-order gift boxes for $10 without an obligation to reserve GW itself. And I think that other places might be doing it, too, but don't hold me to it. So for $10 you can go in and buy the pre-order box and get a beta code to play in the next beta weekend event, a poster, a neat-o CD with music and screenshots and desktops on it, a mini-gameplay guide, and a guest pass for someone else to try with. If you like the game, I know CompUSA will credit you $10 towards the purchase of the game itself, and if you don't like the game you can probably sell the box and reciept to another Matazonian who wants the money off. And if you don't like spending $10, you can split with someone else on buying the box and one get the beta pass and one get the trial.

*edit
For those of you who REALLY don't want to spend even $5 to try the game, and who can't get a guest pass from someone else, I think I'm going to make my GW account available while I'm sleeping for people to try. So when the beta weekend event gets closer (it starts Midnight PST Feb. 4th and ends Misnight PST Feb. 7th) just tell me and I'll PM whoever wants to try it a login name and password. Just..please...don't touch my Feyliya character, and if there's more than one person who wants to test it on my account, please be considerate with your time. (If you can't tell, I REALLY REALLY REALLY want an Otherside Guild! rolleyes.gif )

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jan 17 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #6

Excuse the double post, but I just thought I'd make another one to separate the minimum specs for the game from the rest of the posts.

Minimum specs to play are:

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
Intel Pentium III 800 Mhz or equivalent
256 MB RAM
CD-ROM Drive
500 MB Available HDD Space
ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX Series Video Card with 32 MB of VRAM
16-bit sound card
internet connection
keyboard and mouse

Gotta love how they listed EVERYTHING possible! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jan 18 2005, 04:15 AM
Post #7

Bump!

Anyone have any questions? Any discussion? Anything?

--------------------

+Quote Post
lar_di_dar
post Jan 18 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #8

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,526

im interested, i like to try all the new mmorpg's but like most games first few days the servers will have 1000's of people on so im gonna leave it a week...*remembers the first day of lineage 2 open beta and the 3 hours it took to get in game*

--------------------
If you marry your sister are you your own kids uncle?

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jan 18 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (lar_di_dar @ Jan 18 2005, 04:28 AM)
im interested, i like to try all the new mmorpg's but like most games first few days the servers will have 1000's of people on so im gonna leave it a week...*remembers the first day of lineage 2 open beta and the 3 hours it took to get in game*

Actually, since it's not an open beta, really, it's not that bad. And it's kind of hard to leave it for a week, considering the beta event is 3 days long. tongue.gif I don't know what they did to manage all the people, because technically everyone's on the same server, but in the entire time I was playing the only lag I got was because my cable sucks ass.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Jan 18 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #10

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

I'd be interested. albiet a late member as my funds are being depleted through various gigs and trips over the next few months. But in time I shall have Guild Wars...

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jan 18 2005, 01:06 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Jan 18 2005, 04:57 AM)
I'd be interested. albiet a late member as my funds are being depleted through various gigs and trips over the next few months. But in time I shall have Guild Wars...

Yay!!! We'll have Teapot-ey goodness! ::dances::
/spam

So will it just be me and Commie beta-ing the 4th-7th? I'd like to get as many folks as possible together at one point during those dates to create the Guild. (A 1337 little part of me wants to be able to say my Guild's been around since beta wink.gif ) I'll look up exactly how many people we need at once to create it, hopefully it won't be too big of a number. ::me remembers and fumes at the old EQ requirements:: I'd also like us all to be able to group together a few times while the trial is going on. I can't wait to feel the joy of grouping with people I already know and like!

*edit
To create a guild you need to talk to the guild registrar in Lion's Arch. This past BWE ArenaNet also imposed an extra restriction of needing a Celestial Sigil in order to create a guild. To get one of these Sigils you'll need to travel to the Tomb of the Primeval Kings and win the Hall of Heroes, or purchase a Sigil from a player on NPC.

Joy of joys...I'm going to be working all weekend to get all the way out to those two places and make the guild. But it'll be worth it! Who's up to doing it with me?!? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Jan 18 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #12

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

I've always been put off MMORPGs because of the monthy fee and the level grind. How bad is the grind in Guild Wars?

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jan 18 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #13

No grind, honest. It's spectacular from level 1 on. You do quests and you level up naturally. And if you're a little under-leveled for a zone, it doesn't matter if you're good enough at playing your character. And no monthly fees.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Jan 19 2005, 02:53 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 374

So, let's say that I want to play. I just go to the toy store and pick up this $10 thingy thing and I can play on the BETA?

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jan 19 2005, 05:14 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Jan 18 2005, 06:53 PM)
So, let's say that I want to play. I just go to the toy store and pick up this $10 thingy thing and I can play on the BETA?

If you want to play in the Beta, you go to CompUSA, EB Games, Fry's, Best Buy, or MicroCenter (HOLY SHIYTE, MicroCenter offers the preorder box for .49 cents!) and ask to buy a Guild Wars preorder (or presale, or presell, or whatever they want to call it) box. Might want to check online to make sure they have one readily available first. Might want to do the order itself online for MicroCenter to make sure you get that sweet, sweet .49 cent gaming goodness! I got mine from CompUSA with no problems and they (like the other places selling the preorder box for $10) are offering ten dollars off the game itself when you bring in the recepit for the preorder box.

Just thought it might be good for me to repeat this from the other site. Here's all the places where you can preorder the game online. Has information on international shipping and what in-game bonus item you get, too.

Checked CompUSA, they have a little section on the site where you can ask them if they'll ship to you. Go to the little customer service link at the top, then the international orders part under the Online Ordering section. I imagine that they would mail to you, which would be good, because the preorder bonus you get from them is a Bone Idol which is really good for Necros. You can buy the preorder box separate for $10 from them.

EB Games will ship internationally. Look here for full info. (The links broke when I copied and pasted, so you'll have to go into the MMORPG thread to look whenever you see this.) They give away a really neat Ithias Bow. Best for Ranger mixes, but supposedly a good all-around range weapon for other classes, too. You can buy the preorder box separate for $10 from them, too.

GameStop also ships internationally. Look here for full info. They give a War Pick to be used with Hammer Mastery. You can't buy the preorder box separate from them, dangit.

Fry's will ship internationally. Look here for info. (And yes, through some interesting quirk of fate, the Fry's online store is at www.outpost.com) The item they have is a Censor's Icon. It's meant to juice up Smiting Prayers, though I imagine it's also a good general caster item. You can buy the preorder box separate for $10 from them as well.

Best Buy doesn't ship international unless you're in the American military and can give them a military base address. Same with the Musicland group (Sam Goody, Suncoast, and Media Play) and Target. If there's anyone who reads this who's in that sort of situation, I guess that's good for you. Everyone but Best Buy in this list gets the Censor's Icon. Best Buy gets the Kanthan Targe Shield. You can buy the preorder box separate for $10 from Best Buy only.

Circuit City doesn't ship international at all. Neither do Fred Meyer or MicroCenter. Poo on them! Future Shop only ships Canadian, so good for any of ya'll there who want the game. All these places get the Censor's Icon. You can buy the preorder box separate for .49 CENTS from MicroCenter only.

I have no clue what Hastings is, or where to find it's website, so I'm going to leave it un-searched. If someone else can find info on that store maybe it would be helpful. Hastings preorders would also come with the Censor's Icon.

That's all the places the Guild Wars website has listed as having preorders available. Hope this helps!

--------------------

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Jan 19 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #16

Boughted at MicroCenter. Shipping was more than I expected but...it's 49 cents! Who can beat that? I don't think I'll buy from anywhere else, though that Kanthan Targe Shield looks pretty sweet. Then again... $9.51 for a shield? Naaah.

So...go me! Will have it in two days. Fear!

+Quote Post
Novander
post Jan 19 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #17

Take apart your head

Member No.: 1,599

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jan 17 2005, 11:46 AM)

That fact has sold it to me.

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Jan 19 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #18

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

I've been really interested in the game myself, and I'd say to definitely count me in upon release if I wasn't so concerned with how it'll run on my machine. I have a year-old laptop with only 64MB of onboard graphics memory, and although that meets the minimum for most games I've played, some of them still run slowly (like the Sims 2). It'll depend on if my poor lappie can handle it. If it can, I am SO IN, but it'll be a wait-and-see deal.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 20 2005, 01:27 AM
Post #19

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

got those minimum specs pretty much licked (gpu could be a close thing but I plan on upgrading soon), it'll be a nice change too, what sorta classes are there?

If there's a Knight, I'm SO gonna try and be Sir Psychosexy tongue.gif

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Jan 20 2005, 01:32 AM
Post #20

Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist [Fire/Element Mage?], Mesmer[Pretty Boy Mage?], Monk, Necromancer

Professions Here

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jan 20 2005, 07:14 AM
Post #21

Ooohhh....an in-game Sir PsycoSexy! /me drools! Ooohhh! Oooohhh!!! You could be a Warrior/Mesmer! A dashing rogue warrior who charms his friends and foes alike!

I personally play a Necromancer/Monk. The blasphemy inherent in that tickles me! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jan 20 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #22

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

I play Elementalist/Necromancer, which makes me a pretty hardcore spellcaster but means I'm somewhat dependant on group support, particularly from fighters and healers (though a couple of necromantic abilities allow me to drain health from my enemies).

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 20 2005, 12:55 PM
Post #23

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Is there a way these character types work? Do they rely on a specific atribute like chrisma, wisdom, strength etc? I know from NWN you have to mix your classes carefully....meh, I'll work it out I'm sure >_>

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Novander
post Jan 20 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #24

Take apart your head

Member No.: 1,599

I'm tempted by a ranger/monk

Healy and shooty. Everyone likes the monk.

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jan 20 2005, 03:50 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jan 20 2005, 04:55 AM)
Is there a way these character types work? Do they rely on a specific atribute like chrisma, wisdom, strength etc? I know from NWN you have to mix your classes carefully....meh, I'll work it out I'm sure >_>

The way you customize your character isn't by adding stats into strength or wisdom or anything, your character is built by choosing their skills and the spells you bring into battle. It's pretty easy and I'm certain that if you can figure out NWN you can figure out the GW way in about two minutes.

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 01:23 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!