IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Year Three Placement, It's a bit scary!
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Feb 9 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #1

dream to make believe

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 863

For my course I will be spending the next academic year working and, let me tell you, this really freaks me out! I've never had a proper job before, not for more than 8 hours anyway ( unsure.gif long story), so a whole year with no escape clause is a big thing to me.

Today we had to give our top three choices, now until this afternoon I'd only really had two definite ideas about where I would like to be;
1. Chesterfield
2. Anywhere but Doncaster
So when faced with a list of twenty to pick my top three from I freaked out a little and made impulse choices.
First I put Chesterfield, I went there for my part time (one day a week for twenty weeks) placement and I loved it, full of friendly people and the audiologists have their heads screwed on properly (which is more than I can say for Doncaster) and it's a pretty nice place in general.
Second I chose Norwich, I don't really know why. I think it's because I know that anywhere further north than Nottingham I have problems with accents, hearing impared people find it hard to understand accents they aren't used to and also they use strange phrases like "ten while twelve" meaning "from ten until twelve" and strange things like that. I also have issues with most South Yorkshire towns that the placements are in, I know I couldn't live there for a year it would kill me. Also the places in the South West are really important for the people who come from Coventry and can't move around because of family commitments and stuff and I don't want them to miss out because I want to go home every weekend, I don't care about going home that often and my dad has been spending quite alot of time in Norwich lately because of his work commitments so I wouldn't be completely cut off from them!
My final choice was Great Yarmouth for basically the same reasons as Norwich and the added bonus that the hospital is right on the beach so I can go eat my lunch by the sea during the summer. My decision was also encouraged by the clinical tutors as they say that both Norwich and Great Yarmouth are nice, modern departments who are fully equipt and good with students.
I put a note in the "conciderations" box that if somewhere near Worcester came up I'd take that instead because then I wouldn't have to worry about rent and such which would be nice... ooh and home cooked food!

So... my point, finally. Does anyone know anything about Norwich or Great Yarmouth, specifically the audiology departments or even just the hospitals. Am I rationalising or is my reasoning relatively sound?
Does anyone have any general advice?
Anybody want to rent a house in Nottingham?

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Feb 9 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #2

The Six Train.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 636

Umm..I'm sorry but I can't help you...I'm not quite familar with the subject.

But I do hope you make a good decision, and good luck!

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Feb 14 2005, 11:40 AM
Post #3

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 160

Great Yarmouth is really nice. But apart from that, you know more than I do. You'll be fine with working, it's not that bad. Just the odd day that's a bit off sometimes. If I was still applying for Nottingham uni, that house would be right proper handy though!

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 01:34 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!