Reply to this topicStart new topic
> University Questions
CommieBastard
post Feb 27 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #1

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

I'm going to university in October, and I think a couple other Matazonians are too. So, if I may, I'd like to draw on the wisdom of the British 'Zonians who are at or have been to university here.

First question: how easy is it to take individual modules that aren't a part of your course? I'm doing Philosophy; say I wanted to learn Mandarin in my free time. Could I?

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Feb 27 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #2

: P>

Member No.: 991

I'm not certain about other courses but on my course (Computer Science at Loughbourough) the only options were:

Second year: Straight Computer Science or Computer Science with some modules replaced with e-business.

Third year: A few mandatory modules and the rest picked from a list, but nothing outside of the course.

I'd assume it varies depending on the University and also bear in mind I never really looked into doing other modules.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Feb 27 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #3

If my only options are those within my course, that's really depressing... I love Philosophy, but damn it, I want to do other things too! In the US as far as I know you can pretty much sign up for any course you want...

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Daedalus
post Feb 27 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #4

Pretend you didn't notice

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 556

At Lancaster, you're pretty much free to choose whatever combination you want in the 1st year. Everyone is required to take (and pass) three subjects.

There are a few restrictions; some courses require another course in tandem, but mostly you're free to pick and choose. Personally, doing Philosophy, Politics and Economics as a joint major, I didn't get any choice in the matter beyond my choice of major.

Not sure about other Uni's. I know many other institutions only give you the option of a Major and an additional Minor if you really want to. It really depends upon where you're going and what you're doing. I doubt taking Philosophy will mean any restrictions though, assuming you get some additional choices.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
I wub snoo

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Feb 28 2005, 07:23 AM
Post #5

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

It very much depends upon your university and your course. I think the uni that I'm headed for (Durham) allows me to take any extra elective module that I want, but other places may be (and are!) much more restrictive. The best thing to do is to check the website/prospectus of your preferred university for details.

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Feb 28 2005, 09:01 AM
Post #6

not forgotten

Member No.: 323

Not sure how the England uni's work but I'm studying in Edinburgh and we have quite a bit of choice...here's how it works...

First Year - your degree subject (Psychology 1 in my case) plus two other random subjects at first year level of your choice (I'm taking Linguistics 1 and East Asian Civilisation 1).

Second Year - your degree subject (Psychology 2) plus one other subject from first year (Linguistics 2 hopefully) and a totally new subject (Social Anthropology 1 perhaps).

Third and Fourth Year - your degree subject only (Psychology 3 and 4)

Note - I've taken all full year courses but you can also take half courses which only last one semester each.

da-dum!

Be careful though, a lot of places require you to do two half courses (Logic and Science of Philosophy I believe) if you're taking Philosophy as your degree subject so you'll only actually be able to choose one outside course (or two half courses).

PS - This set-up is used in Dundee as well as far as I can tell, other than that I don't know which uni's have this policy, which are more restrictive, etc, etc.

--------------------
Little solace comes to those who grieve
When thoughts keep drifting
As walls keep shifting
And this great blue world of ours
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Feb 28 2005, 05:40 PM
Post #7

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 160

At York, I think I can only do modules from my course...but then, i never asked *shrug* could you not take a language program additionally? It might cost you though, I think it's 30 a term to do it at York unless you're off to Europe during your final year.

Question. Is it hard to get work done due to preconcepted student lifestyle, or does this phase only last a little while?? I have trouble as it is, and i've got people on my back while I'm still here!

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Feb 28 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #8

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

If my only options are those within my course, that's really depressing... I love Philosophy, but damn it, I want to do other things too! In the US as far as I know you can pretty much sign up for any course you want...

I only wish. It depends on whether or not the college has distribution requirements and/or core curriculum. In most colleges you still have to fulfill graduation requirements within your major, as well as core courses (most often phys ed, basic classes in mathematics and writing). It's generally possible, as far as I can make out to take some outside classes, but mostly it's based within the student's major(s)/minor. A few, mostly small liberal arts schools, don't though.

Woot to philosophy major, by the by; my vati's a philosophy professor (I get the classes free and most often unsolicited ^^).

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Mar 4 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #9

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Seems like it changes from place to place, I'm pretty sure my university has a few modules which anyone can do...I did one on building computers tongue.gif I'm also pretty sure they teach languages, I'm not sure if they cost anything. Your best bet is to find out who teaches what and speak to that lecturer, they're usually pretty cool about people sitting in on classes assuming they're not full (or over full) already.

Pie, I can't really speak for most people, my social life isn't the most active but friends usually motivate each other, failing that, fear of failing usually works wonders! tongue.gif
Having said that, the first year doesn't really count for much/anything in your final grade, you just have to pass it...assuming all universities work the same >_>

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
talking to faeri...
post Mar 4 2005, 01:14 PM
Post #10

put the aerial on your head

Group: New Members
Member No.: 89

In my Uni (Swansea) in the first year you have to take core modules for the course you are doing, which in my case was ancient and medieval history. But I had 12 modules to do and I think that only 9 or so had to be in the field of your degree, so if I wanted to I could have taken say a module in psychology or music. But when you get to your second year, all of your modules have to be in the subject that you're doing for your degree, and the same applies to the third year.

Lil Pie Fairy, the first year isn't that important. As long as you pass it then you're going good. What I would advise though is not to leave work til the last minute, I remember a few times in my first year not actually starting to read for an essay until the day before it had to be in, which is not really a good idea. But probably, most importantly, don't expect too much from what you do in the first year. It's quite a big jump from A level to University work so don't be disheartened if the work you do in the first year isn't as good as you expected it to be. The work you do and the results you get are guaranteed to improve over the time you're in uni, so if you don't do too well in the first year, it's not that important. smile.gif

--------------------
~I'm missing your bed, I never sleep, avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak, and this bottle of beast is taking me home. I'm cuddling close to blankets and sheets, you're not alone and you're not descreet. You make sure I know who's taking you home. I'm reading your note over again, there's not a word that I comprehend, except when you signed it "I will love you always and forever"~

+Quote Post
Novander
post Mar 4 2005, 01:15 PM
Post #11

Take apart your head

Member No.: 1,599

At my uni, in your first year you do set modules. Some courses offer a bit of choice to their students, but its all from a set list. Then, in the second year you can take one or more free choices depending on your course.

I think medicine and law students can't choose out-of-school modules, but as a philosophy student you'd be allowed.

If its a language you want to learn, there might be extra-curricular courses to teach it. I know we kept getting asked to join various evening courses teach italian and spanish.

I did an Introduction to Philosophy module as my free choice this year. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Mar 4 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #12

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

Depends totally on the course, which ultimately depends on the Department running it, I guess.

My course was a pretty hardcore engineering course. There was no option given to study modules outside of the subject (although there was choice within the subject e.g. choose 2 out of 5 to study).

I daresay that I could have arranged to attend lectures for other subjects, but it wouldn't have counted towards my degree. Likewise, there was a foreign language program, which for a nominal fee, you could go to a lecture a week outside of ordinary lecture times (around 6, if memory serves), and would get a certificate for, but once again, my degree program was stuffed enough that it wouldn't have counted for anything.

Plus, you have to consider that you'll be too busy having alcohol, drugs and young girls hurled at yourself to consider taking extra work.

Or maybe that was just me.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Mar 9 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #13

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Member No.: 535

When I was at uni my lot made me do 120 credits a year 100 of them HAD to be part of my main course. That lfet me with 20 to play with but they made it bloody difficult to add in extra modules that counted towards your degree. That said, there were plenty of societies that you could join that allowed you to do things like learn other languages they just didn't count for anything except your own personal enjoyment

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Mar 9 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #14

Jonman: I'm not looking for anything to be added to my degree, I don't care all that much about the actual certification. I just want to learn stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Mar 10 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #15

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

I think what he was getting at is that University is as much about the social experience than the learning, chances are you'll be busy with your course so don't over burden yourself....is that it JonnyJonman?

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Mar 10 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #16

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Mar 9 2005, 11:20 PM)
Jonman: I'm not looking for anything to be added to my degree, I don't care all that much about the actual certification. I just want to learn stuff.

Well in that case, what's to stop you wandering into any old lecture? It's not like they have bouncers on the door with a guest list.

You ought to be able to get hold of a timetable from any departmental secretary.

It would probably be polite to ask the lecturer if they minded you gatecrashing their lectures beforehand.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Fallen Element
post Mar 13 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #17

Obliterates Everything He Kisses

Member No.: 633

I have to take all of the available modules for my main subjects (English Lit. and Philosophy) and then two other half courses - this year I did History and Film+Media Studies. Each course is work 20 points and you need 120 to get through - like Faerieryn said - but I had freedom as long as I chose two valid degree pathways (1. English Lit. 2. Philosophy)

Dunno how it'll work at your chosen Uni but I couldn't take subjects from a different faculty unless it was set-up right - I know you could take English and Maths at my uni but you couldn't take Art and English or Environmental Sciences and Philosophy... There may be faculty restrictions.

Hope that helps - or at least makes sense...

Ps. What Uni are you going to? Out of curiosity.

A sleepy Fal xXx

--------------------
The bookworm - bellydancing tart of Snuggles Harem
Fallen World
I have done it again. One year in every ten I manage it. . .

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Mar 13 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #18

not forgotten

Member No.: 323

Gosh darn it why didn't I explain it using the points thing? Although I should probably point out that each full course is worth 40 points, it's the half courses that are 20 points, but we'll let Fal off cause he's sleepy tongue.gif

And although strictly you are supposed to stick to your main degree's faculty I got away with it so just wheedle your DOS into letting you do what you want to tongue.gif

--------------------
Little solace comes to those who grieve
When thoughts keep drifting
As walls keep shifting
And this great blue world of ours
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 05:50 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!