Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sat Time, oh, for joy
artist.unknown
post Mar 13 2005, 02:56 AM
Post #1

sesquipedalian

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 915

So. Took the new SAT today. Remember, kids, pencils are for making your mark heavy and dark, not stabbing through the eyes.

I'm ready to pass out. It was more draining than anything else. It's really nerve wracking to be constantly reminded that my entire college-going career rests on the results of four hours of filling in little circles. Wish me luck (ugh).

Anyone else share in the four hour fun? Going to? Thoughts on the new, improved test? What is the UK equivalent, anyway?

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Mar 13 2005, 03:10 AM
Post #2

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

I'm ready to pass out. It was more draining than anything else. It's really nerve wracking to be constantly reminded that my entire college-going career rests on the results of four hours of filling in little circles. Wish me luck (ugh).

Don't think like that. I've never been a particularly good test taker -- at least with multiple choice questions. I'm much better at the short answer response.

As far as the test goes it used to stand for Scholastic Apttitude Tesing. Now guess what it stands for. SAT -- the SAT's stand for SAT.

Yeah, that's great.
But you're not really being tested on anything but your ability to take the test. I suggest the ACTs if you can take them. I would have liked to but didn't get the chance. The ACTs give you the information you need and the questions -- so it tests your ability to use the information that you are presented with.

And besides, even if you did poorly (which I doubt) you can always retake them up to 6 times! Plus more and more colleges are starting to base their acceptances on your outside of school activities rather than test scores.

Even so, I'm sure you did fine. smile.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Mar 13 2005, 03:22 AM
Post #3

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

It's irritating as hell that it's now for four hours, but I am glad they ditched the analogies. God, I hate analogies.

To be honest, I have mixed feeling over Albany's insistance that this test will raise scores for women. It smells of cheating to me, such that I don't think I'll have earned my score, that I needed the test to be "fixed" so I'd be able to score the same as a boy getting about the same grades. Though I suppose one could argue that the previous test was tailored for white men and they're just levelling out the scores now.

However, I think I've read that colleges don't care about SAT scores as much, because the percentage of students with high grades applying to college is higher. They're really focusing on extras, which is why (in the years between being five and now) I've taken: ballet, art classes, horse-riding classes, viola, voice, a journalism course on weekends and girl scouting (until my mother got the hint when I buried my vest in the backyard). I've written for the school paper, joined an interfaith volunteer group, done extra volunteer work in another group, built sets for the drama club, and been an active member of the school orchestras in various schools for seven years. The purple ones were voluntary.

(is it overly obvious that I'm from Westchester, land of the stage parent?)

I'm sure you did well, but here's some very pretty good luck anyway :\~//Good luck!:/~\\

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post Mar 13 2005, 04:31 AM
Post #4

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

"done extra volunteer work in another group" wasn't voluntary?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Mar 13 2005, 06:47 AM
Post #5

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

I was probably something like Key Club where it's mandatory that you do some kind of service project to stay in the club.

As for the SATs, I'm really not the one to comment about how hard it is. I mean, I made an average of 1480 the numerous times I've taken it... ::gloats tongue.gif :: Good luck on them, though! ::sends her smarts::

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Mar 13 2005, 11:13 AM
Post #6

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

We have SATs (Standard Attainment Tests) but it doesn't sound like they're the same thing. They only last about 40 minutes and don't matter at all.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Mar 13 2005, 12:44 PM
Post #7

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

Yeah, I think it's another thing that our government thought would be a good idea to pilfer from the Americans. I imagine the exchange followed thus:

"Hey, I've a really great idea!"

"What?"

"Lets put more stress on the nation's schoolchildren by making them do some more exams."

"Oooh, I dunno, that sounds a bit harsh."

"Nah, it'll be fun, trust me. A right laugh."

"Oh go on then. But what test are we going to use. I can't be arsed to think up one myself."

"God knows. Oh, wait a sec! Why don't we just nick the SATs from the Yanks and dumb it down a bit."

"Sounds like a good idea to me. Fancy a brew?"

"Yeah, go on then."

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Mar 13 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #8

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

UK SATs are completely different from the US exams...

You're supposed to take three rounds of SATs here throughout the education process, but I only took one - I missed the first one because they were still arguing over whether kids of that age should sit them, and I missed the last one because I was at a private school.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Mar 13 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #9

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Isn't it more keeping track of how well schools are achieveing at levels lower than GCSE? Plus the ones you do when you're in year 9 count toward which set you're in for GSCE's and so which teir of GSCE you sit (foundation, intermediate or higher)? Well they did in my school...

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Mar 13 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #10

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Mar 13 2005, 12:58 PM)
Isn't it more keeping track of how well schools are achieveing at levels lower than GCSE? Plus the ones you do when you're in year 9 count toward which set you're in for GSCE's and so which teir of GSCE you sit (foundation, intermediate or higher)? Well they did in my school...

That's the impression I got!

My school also based GCSE subject sets on SATs but if you did better in the coursework and generally then you could get moved up to the next teir.

They stopped the SATs for 7 year olds here now though, haven't they?

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Mar 13 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #11

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

Canada doesn't have SATs. They tend to trust the nation's school teachers to give decent final exams to the seniors of high schools. Granted, you get 5 exams at 3 hours each, but still you're tested on what you know and what you've been taught in the classroom all year instead of having to cram for a standardized test.

Funny that, no?

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Mar 13 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #12

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

I'm moving to Canada.

And everyone where I live has to take the ACT. However, to apply to some other colleges I have to take the SAT too. I'll end up taking both. Yaay.

And I was actually good at analogies. sad.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Mar 13 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #13

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

And I was actually good at analogies.

I'm so angry those are gone...they were fun.

I'm mostly worried because of the mathematics section. For my PSATs (practice ones, for UK folk; they count towards nil but getting a National Merit award if you do really well, which is spiffy and can get you a free education in some schools) I got two perfect scores, but my math grade was unimpressive. I'm not worried about admission into college, it's the inverse relationship between higher scores and lower tuition that I'm concerned about. oof.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Mar 13 2005, 08:31 PM
Post #14

Lord of the Keys

"done extra volunteer work in another group" wasn't voluntary?

It was a fundy (fundamentalist) group that tried to brainwash me. They did some good stuff as far as volunteering went (packing food for the poor, reading to kids and all that) but you were required to attend this meeting afterwards where they literally tried to brainwash you. Twasn't fun, but my mother twisted my arm with "you don't want to help others?" logic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Mar 14 2005, 01:27 AM
Post #15

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

They're really focusing on extras, which is why (in the years between being five and now) I've taken

Same here except I learned the hard way that they ask only from your freshman year of high school up. dry.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Mar 14 2005, 08:31 PM
Post #16

Lord of the Keys

*expires over her keyboard*

That's a bit annoying. Freshman year was about when I started quitting things. Damn and blast.

--------------------

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Mar 14 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #17

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

What's really quite annoying about the SAT's (American) is now that they've changed it, it's become more subjective. Of course, that negating the fact that the test was biased anyway, but now it's blatently subjective.

Oh, and believe me, most schools don't really look at SAT scores anymore. That's why they felt they needed to change it in the first place.

But of course, I'm already done taking mine smile.gif

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 07:06 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!