Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Swear Words, acceptible or not
El Nino
post Mar 16 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #1

I pull the wings off god

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,340

Will someone please tell me, which swear words are acceptible on this forum please?

--------------------
Please try to remember, when reading my posts, that I've probably not watched the same films & tv shows as you. I try not to watch music vids & I've also probably not even heard about them from other people. Man to woman "If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong!"/She's all lips & hips, she knows how to use them to make you flip//Liquor store & gun store, next to one another, with only one purpose, so you all kill each other,//Member of the pro cath association // Froggys' sugar-e-daddy//You can't spell politics without tics/[b]/Note to self: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations = human stupidity.Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the females (not shemales).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sjbbandgeek
post Mar 16 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 618

To tell the truth, it is preferred that swear words be used sparingly if at all. An occasional damn or crap is o.k, but dropping an f bomb isn't. Remember that this forum is accessed by some younger audiances.
Besides, the english language has so many more better words to use in your dialogue. Which sounds better to you? "President bush is a ****head" or " I strongly disagree with President Bush's foreign policy".
The latter acually explains the complaint, the former is just an ignorant statement.

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Mar 16 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #3

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

Depends on the poster I feel. I've seen regulars get away with stuff that newbies would get flamed for.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Mar 16 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #4

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

It depends on the context to some degree. If's a valid context then most are acceptable but not incorraged. If you have a better way to express your self then it's prefered.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Mar 16 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #5

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

QUOTE (little_bear @ Mar 16 2005, 08:01 PM)
Depends on the poster I feel.  I've seem regulars get away with stuff that newbies would get flamed for.

You might want to take note of the context too.

Used sparingly and in a appropriate situation thay can be juat about acceptable. Used gratuitously, for no reason or in an inflammatory manner they are more likely to cause offense or get the user modslapped.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Mar 16 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (moop @ Mar 16 2005, 09:09 PM)
Depends on the poster I feel.  I've seen regulars get away with stuff that newbies would get flamed for.

You might want to take note of the context too.

Used sparingly and in a appropriate situation thay can be juat about acceptable. Used gratuitously, for no reason or in an inflammatory manner they are more likely to cause offense or get the user modslapped.

*nod*

Yep, I agree. Couldn't have put it better myself.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Mar 16 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #7

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

Will someone please tell me, which swear words are acceptible on this forum please?

You could try just posting a string of expletives and see which ones the Mods ban you for? laugh.gif

*warning* takes no responsibility for the consequences of her dumbarse advice.

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Mar 16 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Mar 17 2005, 12:16 AM)

You could try just posting a string of expletives and see which ones the Mods ban you for? laugh.gif

*warning* takes no responsibility for the consequences of her dumbarse advice.

Actually, I'm quite tempted to do that.

Shock horror! You said arse! Mods! Mods! I'm telling of you and getting you done!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Mar 16 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #9

Shock horror! You said arse! Mods! Mods! I'm telling of you and getting you done!

Kiss my arse. tongue.gif

*it's a mild form of tourettes... really*

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Mar 17 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #10

Ever been trying not to swear, then your mind goes and you mutter an expletive and before you know it you've lost yourself in a massive chain reaction of cursing?

Sort of like:

"Crap.."

"Arse..."

"Sh*t..."

"F*ck...

"W*nk..."

"B*llocks..."

"T*tty biscuits..."

No? Just me then.

Hehe Snugglebum, see what I did there? Cunning eh?

*awaits bannage*

_

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Mar 17 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #11

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Depends on the poster I feel.  I've seen regulars get away with stuff that newbies would get flamed for.

Mods in my back pocket? What ever could you mean? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Mar 17 2005, 05:57 AM
Post #12

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

A good rule of thumb is if they can say it on TV or on the Radio without violating FCC rules, then you can probably say it on here. If ever in doubt though, edit it.

You can get away with it if say you have a frustrating post or what not that warrants it, but that's pushing it.

Don't let SPS fool you about the mods in his pocket thing, he's been warned before.

You don't really get into too much trouble if you do curse though, the mods just edit it and leave a nice little note such as this : [editted by LoLo : watch your language dollface] If you do it in excess and on purpose though, then warnings will happen and perhaps eventually banning.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Mar 17 2005, 06:13 AM
Post #13

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

Another thought is replacing the curse words with something else. Here's an example :

F-bomb = jellyfish
@ss = oxymoron

So say your best friend has sex with your mom. You're infuriated and want to say something about it so your sentence comes out to be something like :

I can't believe my best friend, that oxymoron just jellyfished my mom!

Now you're not cussing and you got it off your chest, and it's even humorous so you can now laugh at it.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Mar 17 2005, 08:34 AM
Post #14

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

This is what I go by:

If I'm saying something and I'm not sure how well it'll go over, no cussing. Don't want what I'm saying to be misconstrued.

Personal Concerns is out of cussing range, unless I'm venting or comisserating. Same with serious discussions in Issues. In fact, serious discussions anywhere should go by this rule.

No curses directed at anyone on the boards. That includes even people who haven't been on the boards for a long, long time. Someone might remember them. And no curses directed at anyone who you might have tried to get to join the forums, either. Murphy's Law being what it is, the day you rant about your friend being a jack@$$ on here will be the day they decide to join up and see what you're always talking about.

Try to avoid casual cussing. Use freaking instead of f#ck!n6. Use arse instead of @$$. If you have any other curse word you have a particular attachment for, come up with a suitable replacement for it, too. Quite simple to do.

And if there has been a rash of cussing on the boards that the mods have been having to deal with, no cussing whatsoever. People tend to get sensitive to things if they have to deal with them regularly, mods being no exception.

Oh, and use "Jesus" with the same caution you do curse words. You never know when someone might take offense.

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Mar 17 2005, 08:55 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Mar 17 2005, 02:07 AM)

Mods in my back pocket? What ever could you mean? rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I'm on to you pal. dry.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (Feyliya @ Mar 17 2005, 09:34 AM)
Oh, and use "Jesus" with the same caution you do curse words.  You never know when someone might take offense.

Whoopsy daisy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Mar 17 2005, 02:33 PM
Post #16

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (Feyliya @ Mar 17 2005, 08:34 AM)
This is what I go by:
Use arse instead of @$$.

Over this side of the pond arse is more offencive than ass.

An ass is a donkey/mule type thing.

An arse is ones posterior!

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
JimiJimi
post Mar 17 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #17

I'm afraid I'm back.

Member No.: 1,308

Is there any forum filtering, so as to avoid offense, all swears are replaced with either a couple of stars as substitutes, or maybe replaced with slightly funnier versions, like changing f-bombs into 'fudge' or 'jellyfish' (?) or something like that?

Because that would be useful, and I remember on the notorious old band forum, which did get the band into some trouble thanks to bassist and bassist's GF, there was filtering for the name of the rival band - from '*******' to '******* (who we have no problem with whatsoever)'.

I've starred out their name, because they'd probably appreciate that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Mar 17 2005, 06:45 PM
Post #18

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Mar 17 2005, 07:42 PM)
Is there any forum filtering, so as to avoid offense, all swears are replaced with either a couple of stars as substitutes, or maybe replaced with slightly funnier versions, like changing f-bombs into 'fudge' or 'jellyfish' (?) or something like that?

Because that would be useful, and I remember on the notorious old band forum, which did get the band into some trouble thanks to bassist and bassist's GF, there was filtering for the name of the rival band - from '*******' to '******* (who we have no problem with whatsoever)'.

Mata doesn't want to use a filter cause he want people to be able to express them selves if they really feel the need to. There are many other threads around the forum where he explain this alot better than I ever could so go hunting if you feel the need.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Mar 17 2005, 07:34 PM
Post #19

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (snoo @ Mar 17 2005, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (Feyliya @ Mar 17 2005, 08:34 AM)
This is what I go by:
Use arse instead of @$$.

Over this side of the pond arse is more offencive than ass.

An ass is a donkey/mule type thing.

An arse is ones posterior!

My mouth, you took, words right out of.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Mar 17 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #20

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

It's hard for me personally to predict reactions as I don't get offended by much of anything (use of the word "gay" gets my goat sometimes, though). As a rule of thumb, I say never use the "f" word or the "s" word. Also, crude terms and descriptions are frowned upon, as is saying "a-hole" or almost any use of the "a" word.

I've gotten into trouble for excessive use of the word "bitch." The context was referring to people, not my bitching about how I had a crappy birthday.

I actually like to have fun with it. It halps me with my vulgarity repetoir IRL (with my friends, I cuss like a sailor). One of my favorite words to use is "bumhug."

As for "wank," I've used it and some equivilents before and it wasn't viewed as that big of a deal, but then again, those were maybe two or three posts.

The word "tit" was thrown around a few times during the "Big Boob Debate," but that's understandable. I don't think I've seen the word outside of that thread.

The best way to avoid all that is to limit your swearing to mild words if not eliminating them completely. I'm a fan of the words "damn" and "Hell" myself. Some have gotten shifty on me for "goddamn," so I'd shy from that.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Mar 17 2005, 09:54 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Cath @ Mar 17 2005, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Mar 17 2005, 07:42 PM)

Mata doesn't want to use a filter cause he want people to be able to express them selves if they really feel the need to. There are many other threads around the forum where he explain this alot better than I ever could so go hunting if you feel the need.

What's more, people will work out what means what so sooner or later people would adjust and in peoples minds it would be as if there wasn't a filter, the idea is to get people to censor themselves so the mods don't have to do it, we're all grown ups here.

Though I beleive the c-work is replaced with lady part....or at least it used to be...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Mar 17 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #22

Though I beleive the c-work is replaced with lady part....or at least it used to be...

Nuff nuff - has to be replaced by nuff nuff. *noddles*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Mar 17 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #23

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

Does that mean we can all call SPS a 'lady part'...?

... Just wonderin', is all...

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Mar 17 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #24

Does that mean we can all call SPS a 'lady part'...?

*tries not to spray beer from her nose*

*fails*

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

There are not enough smilies in the world to convey how hard I laughed at that...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Mar 18 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #25

only if I can call you a nuff nuff

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 05:42 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!