IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's The Diff Between Wazoo & Yazoo?, Is it up one and out the other?
altehase
post Mar 24 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #1

Patron Saint Of All Mediocrities

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,018

The other day I overheard some use the phrase "out the yazoo". If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time I've ever heard that. I myself have used the phrase "out the wazoo" many times. But it also seems perfectly acceptable to reverse it and say "up the wazoo". Hopefully the latter is somewhat self explanatory. If not...take a guess...you're probably correct.

But "yazoo" now seems acceptable as a substitute. OR...it has an alternate meaning. I think it does...and I'd like to know. I'm appealing to anyone who might be able to shed some light on this recent development in my life.

Oh, the term "kazoo" is also used in a similar fashion. It's certainly funnier. At least to my rather warped sense of being. But a kazoo is also an instrument of types. Though I suppose it could be played from either end...maybe that's where the term came from. I'll let the experts confer on this one...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Mar 24 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #2

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,102

Yazoo is a type of premade milkshake type drink is it not?

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Mar 24 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #3

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

Nope, that's Yahoo. It's a drink as well as a term meaning 'someone of low intellegence' happy.gif Gulliver's Travels.

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Mar 25 2005, 03:22 AM
Post #4

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

QUOTE (trunks_girl26 @ Mar 24 2005, 04:50 PM)
Nope, that's Yahoo. It's a drink as well as a term meaning 'someone of low intellegence' happy.gif Gulliver's Travels.

As opposed to Yay-Hoo, which is either a troublesome person, or a redneck... tongue.gif

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Mar 25 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #5

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

Are you in America by any chance? Because I'm fairly sure that there is a drink called Yazoo in England.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
FeralPolyglot
post Mar 25 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #6

=^^= ~~

Member No.: 1,690

Yoohoo is the chocolate drink which Ange is talking about. It's sort of like chocolate milk but it has a slightly different taste and a noticeably different viscosity/texture. I searched Yazoo online and it looks like it might be a similar product to the Yoohoo here in America.

As for semantic differences between yazoo and wazoo in phrases such as "up the ______", I don't believe I've ever heard "yazoo" used instead of "wazoo." If I have heard it, I understood the meaning and probably just coined it off on vernacular differences. I don't think they differ in meaning.

--------------------
-Cerin
=^^= ~~

What have you done today to make you feel proud?
"Be the change that you want to see in the world." -Mohandas Gandhi
"We do not inherit the land from our fathers, we borrow it from our children." -Native American Proverb
"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Walk beside me and just be my friend." - Albert Camus
"You can't change the music of your soul." -Katherine Hepburn
"Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth. (...) There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself." -The Matrix

+Quote Post
El Nino
post Apr 9 2005, 12:55 PM
Post #7

I pull the wings off god

Member No.: 1,340

Yazoo was also a band in which Alison Moyet sang vocals.

--------------------
Please try to remember, when reading my posts, that I've probably not watched the same films & tv shows as you. I try not to watch music vids & I've also probably not even heard about them from other people. Man to woman "If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong!"/She's all lips & hips, she knows how to use them to make you flip//Liquor store & gun store, next to one another, with only one purpose, so you all kill each other,//Member of the pro cath association // Froggys' sugar-e-daddy//You can't spell politics without tics/[b]/Note to self: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations = human stupidity.Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the females (not shemales).

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Apr 9 2005, 03:54 PM
Post #8

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

It IS yazoo in the UK for chocolate milk. Very yummy indeed

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
SPEAKERfortheLOS...
post Apr 10 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #9

Transdimensional Traveler

Member No.: 1,244

this has absolutely nothing to do with this but....

HUZZAH!!!!

had to do it....

Yoohoo is the greatest... Yazoo is ok....

--------------------
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Jack of all trades, master of none,
though offtimes better than master of one.

Carpe Noctem, pro cras nos necemus
Carpe Diem, pro hodie nos mutiamo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 10:03 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!