IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advertising - Would It Annoy You Too Much?
Bearing in mind that it will pay for the site if it goes well, would you mind too much there being banners on the top of pages (including the forums)?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 72
Guests cannot vote 
Mata
post Mar 31 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I've been looking into ways to make this site actually generate rather than deteriorate my income, and the old demon advertising has reared it's head.

It's worth mentioning that having the advertising on my site and people clicking on them regularly will mean that I shouldn't need to ask for donations any more.

I'm pretty convinced on the idea, but I'd like to check your feelings on this.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Mar 31 2005, 02:51 PM
Post #2

I plug directly into my computer

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,488

Yay! first person to vote

*ahem*

I would be a bit irritated if there were banner ads, but as long as you didn't start allowing popups I probably wouldn't mind that much. I could just go and download the ad blocker extension for Firefox and just see blank space though

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Mar 31 2005, 02:52 PM
Post #3

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

Thereby effectively defeating the whole purpose.

happy.gif

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 31 2005, 02:53 PM
Post #4

No, definitely no pop-ups. I despise the things. It would be nice if the regulars could make a habit of clicking on banners though, because I would get revenue per-click (although I suspect it will also be per-IP address, so multiple clicks wouldn't make any difference).

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
ravein
post Mar 31 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #5

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 40

I have no problem with it, and I would be happy to click on your banner.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Mar 31 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #6

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

So long as you don't start inserting them into the animations. Somehow, Little Goth Girl would lose its spark if Sarah stopped midway through to enjoy a cool, refreshing Dr. Pepper ™ tongue.gif

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Mar 31 2005, 04:13 PM
Post #7

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

Suddenly I'm really thirsty. Say, has anyone got a spare Coke or something?

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Mar 31 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #8

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

I dislike adverts but I'd rather Mata eat. Plus having not donated myself I don't think I have any right to say otherwise. So I will click the adverts also.

*curses lack of cash and job*

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 31 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #9

Sales of Mr Sb Max have been slumping a little lately...

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Mar 31 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #10

: P>

Member No.: 991

I wouldn't really be annoyed by banner ads.

If it turns out that delerium from lack of food was inspiring the animation goodness (and curtain monsters) then I may change my mind on the matter though. tongue.gif

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Mar 31 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #11

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

I'm touched you stopped to ask us before putting the ads up Mata, that's sweet smile.gif

Banners are easily ignored, and I trust you won't advertize anything annoying or that you don't believe in.

Oh, and I'm sorry you live on beans and rice to keep this site running. Advertize away, Mata!

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 31 2005, 05:49 PM
Post #12

It's not exactly beans and rice... Well, not all the time! But no, I also don't make a fortune either. If the advertising goes well then I should hopefully be able to pay my rent with the money, leaving just the food to poke around for, which would be rather nice.

Since everyone seems to be okay with the idea, I'll go ahead with it. There's a company that acts as an intermediary between me and advertisers. I've informed them of the nature of my site (games, films, technology, books = good, definitely no adult material) so hopefully they should do a decent job of hooking up appropriate advertisers.

If it goes well, then hopefully the adverts should be things that you're actually interested in anyway, so they will be quite useful... Okay, maybe that's a little too optimistic, but it is possible!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Mar 31 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #13

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

In terms of banner-style advertising, I've always preferred the vertical banners. Having a horizontal one at the top of the page is more annoying, I think. But a lot of sites incorporate a vertical one into the edge of their page design - and it seesm more seamless. I'd think it would be easier to design a site around a vertical banner, than a horizontal one? But then, I guess that does depend on the type of site.

In any case; some extra £££, $$$ or €€€ for Mata would be lovely.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Mar 31 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #14

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

You go girl! Earn some money off of us mooching bums!

What's more, you can expect anyone who complains on the forum to be flamed out of existance....in a nice polite way.

It'd be funny if you could work some of them into Mr Snaffleburger "This episode of Mr Snaffleburger is bought to you by....."

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
JimiJimi
post Mar 31 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #15

I'm afraid I'm back.

Member No.: 1,308

Although a bit of product placement would be funny, nothing so obvious as in I Robot...

'Converse Allstar, vintage 2004 [2004? Recognise that year? Yes, that's your year, that means you can buy them! Yes! Then you can be like Will Smith! Now doesn't everyone want that?]'.

Anyway, as long as everyone vows to click on them AND THERE ARE NO CRAZY FROG/SWEETY THE CHICK BANNERS then I think it's a good idea, but I'd still be happy to donate if needbe. Also I prefer vertical on the right and horizontal on the bottom, but no pop-ups is good... smile.gif

I think I've droned on for long enough now, but I think it's a good idea, and as long as it doesn't get in the way I've voted for the first choice. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Mar 31 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #16

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Although I back the ad's I'm not keen on vertical ones, it may be that I never have my browser windows in full screen so taking space from the sides causes me issues. It's just an OCD thing, I'm sure I'll get over it... unless they are the flashy "You're the 10,0000000000000000000000000th person to view this page" type thing.

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Apr 1 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #17

: P>

Member No.: 991

Skyscraper ads make sense on sites that are designed for them but they rather clash with the design of Matazone.co.uk (note menus down both sides) and the forums (need the full width of the screen or they would just be annoying, and the pages are too tall for it to work properly without big gaps).

Banners would probably fit okay, provide less disturbance (since people tend to design pages so they scroll up and down) and personally I find them less intrusive.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Apr 1 2005, 11:47 AM
Post #18

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

Banners on the main site, or on the forums too?

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 1 2005, 12:42 PM
Post #19

The current plan is for banners on the tops of all pages. That way it's easy to scroll down and get them out of view but they also get the maximum amount of views.

I'm not sure how much control I will have over what goes on there. Obviously I'd like to make sure that it's not the bloody annoying ones that flash at you, tell you you're being hacked, launch cougars at your toes, etc. but I'm not certain I will be able to do this.

For purely practical reasons I won't be getting the skyscraper ads on the side of the window. This is because I'm really not sure how to make them work with the page layout! Also they would probably make it so that on lower resolution monitors (800x600) a vertical banner would be off the side of the page when placed next to an animation, which would be really annoying. Lastly, it's easier to scroll an annoying banner off-screen than it is to get past a vertical one, and I want it to be possible for people to ignore them as easily as possible if they want to.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Apr 1 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #20

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

I personally wouldn't dig them at all. For me, a lot of times they make the page take about eight to ten years to load. And call me weird, but it could give this place the feel of being purely commercial. However, this is not my site; it's Mata's and he needs to pay bills at the end of the month. Depending on the company, I wouldn't mind terribly. If it was something sweet and pertinant to our collective tastes, I'd be cool with that. If it was something like "Fix your debt today!" then I'd be quite upset.

Once again, it's Mata's site and he pays the bills, so whatever happens, happens. That's just my two cents.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 1 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #21

I can really understand your view. I didn't want to have to do this. As you can see, take-up of the banner system that I've already got has been pretty low, and the income from it has been tiny. I tried to run it myself, but big companies just don't want to talk to the little guy, even when they make games and you run a website that has a majority of young and technologically aware people visiting it.

Essentially I need to make sure that I don't leave all my eggs in one basket. I'm bored of fighting each month to make the income add up to the bills, so I need to find a way to make a living with what I've got.

I've emphasised the types of things that I'd like to be advertising. I'll be using the same company as Weebl's site, which usually does a good job, and only _occasionally_ does annoying adverts.

I've come to the conclusion (again) that while it's all well and good being completely independent, you can't pay the bills easily if you don't occasionally suckle from the corporate nipple. Looking on the bright side, you guys can help me take their money. Hurrah!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Apr 1 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #22

Samauri Teapain

One site, which I shant name, decided to put adverts up without for warning and after the initial uproar I don't think they were noticed at all. One side was the bar with links, the other side was a phat advert column but after a while it just became part of the layout.

For one I'm glad Mata asked us. *bows*

--------------------
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."

+Quote Post
Novander
post Apr 1 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #23

Take apart your head

Member No.: 1,599

First the b3ta newsletter, now you... what is the internet coming to?

But seriously, I'm not going to run away just because a little bar of epilepsy appears at the top of the screen, and if it gets you extra money, you go for it.

One simple question though: do you promise that if you win the jackpot on the lottery, you'll get rid of the banners?

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Apr 1 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #24

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

Please implement Google ads on the forums biggrin.gif Considering some of the stuff we talk about, that would be hilarious.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Apr 1 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #25

Samauri Teapain

QUOTE (Novander @ Apr 1 2005, 05:53 PM)
One simple question though: do you promise that if you win the jackpot on the lottery, you'll get rid of the banners?

If he does then perhaps we'll be seeing Mittens banners on other websites, or maybe TV even oh that would be good.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 06:01 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!