Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Learning Linux
MistressAlti
post May 30 2005, 04:58 AM
Post #1

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

So, I've decided to learn Linux. In my future career (management information systems) it's more than a bit useful to know about, but it isn't something they actually teach courses on at my university. So I think the most direct way of making myself learn is to have one of the distributions installed on my computer, I tend to learn best from doing.

Anyway, I've had trouble getting very useful reviews/explanations of various distros from the internet. Every distro has its fanatics and it's hard to find any information about what might be best for beginners, or useful for teaching, or easiest to install, etc.

So yeah. Help. I know that a few of you have had at least some experience with it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post May 30 2005, 10:46 AM
Post #2

: P>

Member No.: 991

There are a lot of LiveCD distros around nowadays that boot from a CD so you can skip the rather difficult step of installing it and experiment a bit first. Knoppix is a rather good LiveCD distro and it automagically configures itself (which is a good thing - it makes a lot of sense to learn to use Linux _before_ trying to configure it on your own).

Alternatively Fedora (which used to be Red Hat) is rather good, quite commonly used by companies (so a good one to learn) and has a graphical installer and configurator (is that a word?).

Of course, I'd have to say Linux is for bitches, it's just required of me as a BSD (FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD) fan. But FreeBSD is probably not a good beginners system, the others even less so - it's considered harder to learn than Linux but personally I found it a lot more logical to use (and of course, being just another UNIX variant a lot of stuff is laid out similarly to Linux). I guess it's a matter of opinion.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
DarkInferno
post May 30 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #3

Serpents hide behind your eyes

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 346

Linux is indeed for bitches.

Knoppix is fun to play with, without all that pesky hard drive wiping buisiness. Easy but you won't learn much. Easy to learn the basics on.

Fedora knowlage is good for business use, as moop pointed out. It's fairly user-friendly so it is fairly easy to setup and play with. Good to learn an intermedite level.

BSD owns your soul, live with it. Advanced.

--------------------

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
- Bill Hicks

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Jun 2 2005, 03:35 AM
Post #4

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

Well, I'm playing on SuSE for the moment, figuring it to be an easier transition from Windows. It's slow-going but I've a few local Linux users that are hand-holding my way through it. I don't intend to stay on SuSE any longer than to get my major "wtf" moments out of the way, and then it's on to a different distro.

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jun 2 2005, 08:00 AM
Post #5

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

I have a linux-whore as a buddy. and he keeps wanting me to try out a LiveCD that he refers to as "Ubuntu"? Anybody feel like giving me a brief explantion to what he's talking about? Whether it's old/new/indiferent?

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Jun 2 2005, 09:59 AM
Post #6

: P>

Member No.: 991

Just another LiveCD - nothing terribly new, nothing awfully old. I haven't tried it though or read much about it.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Erin
post Jun 29 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #7

the one that is me

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,578

linux is awesomeifying. i've tried out many types of it. i guess i've mastered using linux by now. ^^ i pick up on computer things very easy. now..getting a microphone to work in linux is hard stuff to do..but i can do that also..thankfully..even though i only used it for a day.

--------------------
--Owner Of Lilith The black and white kitten--
--Cheesemooses Lovely noob--
--Member of the Cult Of Brother Black Sheep--
--Official Beautiful Feathery Girl Over There Erin of Tribe Wyvern--
--damned and dastardly is my noob ^^--

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 01:45 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!