IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Contemplating Trip to London, Any pointers?
Righteous
post Jun 3 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #1

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

Okay, my brother, his best friend, his girlfriend and I are contemplating a trip to London. It's rather up in the air now, so I'm trying to gather some info.

First off, when would be a good time to visit? Winter break would be most condusive to our scheduals, but if it's chilly here on an island in north Florida, I assume it'll be effin' cold across the pond. I, personally, am not a big fan of cold, but am willing and able to deal with it. I'm not too sure about Matt and Candious, though. They're Floridian and Georgian respectfully.

Her Sauciness told me about a place in cenntral London that costs about ten pounds or so per night. That sounds digable, but if the number ends up dwindling to just me, I may have to beg and plead for someone to put me up for a few days. Should I that be the case, I'm a rather pleasent houseguest, willing to do chores, pay my own way, sleep on a couch or floor, smoke outside as far away from the house as possible, and keep my stuff confined to a corner or other small area.

What's cool to do in London? I once told Commie that I don't want to go somewhere where all I see are shirts that say "I Went To London And All I GOt Was This Crappy Tee Shirt." I live in a tourist trap and would like to avoid places like that at all cost. I don't drink, but the guys do. Rick's dead-set on going to a pub and ordering a Guiness ("But dude, you can get Guiness in the States; why don't you get something you can't buy here? "I want a f*ckin Guiness").

Once I figure out when I'm coming, anyone wanna hang out? I've met a grand total of three Matazonians IRL thus far and Aislinn doesn't even really count. That and I'd like to introduce some of the guys to what they consider to be my cult.

Any help, tips, pointers, whatever would be appreciated.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jun 3 2005, 09:22 PM
Post #2

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Even though England can get pretty cold during the winter, it's not so bad. Just a lot of rain. But then you can get the great feel when you're inside and can see the cold outside. Also, in the summer it's pretty humid, so perhaps not then. I think that autumn is a lovely time to visit when it's warm but not hot and the trees are so beautiful.

I think that you ought to go to Madam Toussauds (sp?). It's full of wax models of famous people and so is quite a laugh. Camden is also a fun place to go. There are lots of great shops and everyone is so friendly there. Oh, and Covent Garden is a good place to visit. There's a small market but if you go down the steps in the market square place, then there's always either a string quartet or an opera singer which is always fun to listen to for a while.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
zivane
post Jun 4 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #3

Goddess of Purple Froot Loops

From: various, Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Member No.: 1,682

England is cold in the winter. I live not that far from you. It gets cold. It's not as bad as say Amsterdam, but it still gets cold. Which is why the English dish out tons of hot food. Camden town is awesome. Prices in London are high from what I've experienced in the past. I didn't do too much touristy stuff there... I was actually being sent there for shopping trips... you do have to at least walk into Fortum and Mason to drool, Harrod's to get lost in. Silly stuff like that. London does have like, the best variety of food in England though... but don't expect to find cheap Chinese take-out like we've got here in the good ol' South. Ditto with the barbeque if you happen to be a fan of that.

--------------------
hawtt?! perfect ^.^

niao! ^.^ mr. cheeseiemooseys n00b - kinda, eh?

t3h uber 1337 LJ monster Little Gamers Web Comic My Space

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 4 2005, 01:48 AM
Post #4

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

You can usually get a cheap-ish carton of monosodium glutamate (sp?), otherwise known as 'Chinese food' in Camden market, but pretty much everything else in London costs a fortune.

Cold is, as you say, relative. It can get cold in the winter, but it would be unlikely to drop more than one or two degrees C below freezing even in the middle of the night in the city. Not that this is impossible, just unlikely.

I'm sure we could sort out a London mini-meet with a little notice.

Avoiding _all_ the tourist stuff might mean you miss out on some cool things, like the Tower of London. Keep an open mind to the tourist side of things otherwise you'll never see the really distinct things of the place. I've been to San Francisco twice now and I've still not been to Alcatraz because I always end up wandering around the Castro and alt bars. I regret not having seen it yet, so try and find the balance of tourist stuff and culture.

I suggest going to the old and the new Tate galleries. There's some great art there that you won't see anywhere else in the world.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jun 4 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #5

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

The Natioinal Portrait Gallery is free to get into, as is The Science Museum (which is really cool!). Camden is touristy to me. And it's become even more so, but I 'm not knocking it. Then there is Porabello Road, Spittlefields Market.

With regards to food, you will pretty much get what you pay for. It you buy cheap food it's because it's cheap. Hey. In saying that I've spent most of my life in London so prices are normal here to me, it's other places that are cheap.

There are a few cheap clubs. There might even be a gig on by a band you like when you are over here.

I've always wanted to stay in the Holland park youth hostel, it's basically in the middle of a public park. If Saucy's 10 places is unavailble, YHA will pronbably be a good bet. There is even a youth hostel just off of Oxford Circus. I wouldn't be able to put you up, my house is to small for my family and me as it is.

There is stuff to do, but I just don't know it all.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Jun 4 2005, 11:56 AM
Post #6

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

Guiness tastes different wherever you are, it can't be shipped abroad easilly most countries just make it in their own breweries so Brit Guiness is a little different to your Guiness.

Again I recommend Camden, I'm guessing you'll love it there. Don't even need to buy anything, though I'm sure you will. Just turn up, walk around for a few hours and eat some poison (chinese) then relax in the Worlds End pub afterwards, if you can.

A place where you can go there are quite a few things to do without being exclusivly a 'tourist' is Covent Garden. Shops there will even remove your arms for you, but there are a few cinemas, galleries and good theatres in random directions around it. And plus you really get that 'London feel' walking around the old city backstreets exploring. Some of the best places you'll find are tucked away out of sight so well that even the locals haven't found them yet.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 4 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #7

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (zivane @ Jun 3 2005, 08:35 PM)
... but don't expect to find cheap Chinese take-out like we've got here in the good ol' South.

*gasp* ohmy.gif

Avoiding _all_ the tourist stuff might mean you miss out on some cool things, like the Tower of London. Keep an open mind to the tourist side of things otherwise you'll never see the really distinct things of the place.

I see where you're coming from, Mata, but it just creeps me out being at touristy places. It makes me feel as though I fall into the same category at the out-of-staters who drive around the island doing fifteen in a thirty zone and ask where the beach is where there are signs pointing to Main Beach everywhere (that and for God's sake, we live on a small island; head east and drive around a little; you're bound to hit it sooner or later or, more likely, run into a few signs). My guess, though, is that y'all's suggestions'll be worth it instead of just coming back and being able to tell people I was there.

Cold is, as you say, relative. It can get cold in the winter, but it would be unlikely to drop more than one or two degrees C below freezing even in the middle of the night in the city. Not that this is impossible, just unlikely.

Dude, I'm Floridian. I'd die. I remember being chilly in Philadelphia around Holloween when I went to visit Spiffy and some of the old guys. We'll have to bundle the Hell up just to get around, dude.

Guiness tastes different wherever you are, it can't be shipped abroad easilly most countries just make it in their own breweries so Brit Guiness is a little different to your Guiness.

Groovy. I'll let the guys know about that.

Hmm. I'll need a big map of London and a marker. That way I can mark down all the places y'all suggested and figure out the best circuitous root per day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 4 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #8

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Navigating the city is fast and easy by the underground (the London one is called The Tube). You don't really need to work out a walking route, but planning is always good.

If you do want to see the city then by all means get a London A-Z. Most monuments and places in the middle are within 15-30 minutes walking distance from each-other. However, I warn you in advance, London grew. I mean it is really like a plant that has been there, destroying and reconsuming itself for a couple of thousand years. We don't have many straight lines and the shortest route is often only something that you will learn after living there for ten years. Like organic things, loiter too long in the dark places and you'll get eaten too. I'm not saying you can't look after yourself, but London is very twisty and if you don't know what areas you will be going through then sometimes it's best to skip them with the train.

We do urban decay in a very serious way, and even open concrete spaces are prone to gangs. We don't really have gangs like LA, where you might be safe as long as you don't look like a rival, we just have groups of yobs who would happily pick on anyone that they see as different.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 4 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #9

Shut up, noob!

See, we don't have rails, undergrounds, public busing or anything here (it's quite rural). I lived in Jacksonville for like six months and still didn't learn the bus system. Eh, well. If there are a number of us, then I'm sure we can figure it all out.

I just realized that I'm probably going to have to translate for the guys since I speak some British English ("Dude, what's a bird?" "A chick, dude").

--------------------

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jun 4 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #10

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

QUOTE (zivane @ Jun 4 2005, 01:35 AM)
... but don't expect to find cheap Chinese take-out like we've got here in the good ol' South.

I can get more than I can eat for 3. How freaking cheap is it in the South?

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 4 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #11

Shut up, noob!

For about $6.50, I can go to New China and fill myself the Hell up. Takeout's a bit pricey if you don't get specials and you have to order $10.00 or more to get delivery. It's a bit more expensive where Ziv lives, I'd assume. THere are places that sell buffet takeout by weight. Depending on how much you get and where, it can be pretty cheap.

THings in general are cheaper in the south. Frog told me how much cigarettes cost in London and I was appalled. A pack of Marlboro lights costs three bucks and some change here. She says they go for five pounds there.

And dude, where? We're going there, man. We're going. You can come, too. biggrin.gif Tell your mates, "I hung out with a bunch of small-town Americans. They were weird."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Jun 5 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #12

Samauri Teapain

QUOTE (Righteous @ Jun 4 2005, 06:07 PM)
I just realized that I'm probably going to have to translate for the guys since I speak some British English ("Dude, what's a bird?" "A chick, dude").

I doubt you'd need to translate anything, I'm guessing that anyone you speak to will either think your odd for talking to them or will speak down to you in very basic English incase you happen to be one of the stupid Americans which we hear so much about.

Not quite as many people use so much slang so you wont have to translate 'bird' every other conversation. Bird? What kind of British English have you been taught?

--------------------
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Jun 5 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #13

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE (Righteous @ Jun 4 2005, 06:07 PM)
since I speak some British English

You mean Real English?

/spam

Yeah, I'm with Mata on the not avoiding touristy places on principle thing. Some of them are quite good, like the London Eye and some of the museams are excellent. Definatly go to the Tate Modern, just for a good laugh if nothing else, and just walk around Theatre District for a bit and soak up the vibe. It's great.

but don't expect to find cheap Chinese take-out like we've got here in the good ol' South

I'm with Commie on this one, last time I was in Central London I found this little restaurant actually in China Town that did a nice all-you-can-eat for 3. I think it was called Mr. Wong's or something like that.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Jun 5 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #14

Samauri Teapain

QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Jun 5 2005, 08:27 PM)
i'm with Commie on this one, last time I was in Central London I found this little restaurant actually in China Town that did a nice all-you-can-eat for 3. I think it was called Mr. Wong's or something like that.

You mean Mr. Wu's. I love Mr Wu.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Jun 5 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #15

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Jun 5 2005, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Jun 5 2005, 08:27 PM)
i'm with Commie on this one, last time I was in Central London I found this little restaurant actually in China Town that did a nice all-you-can-eat for 3. I think it was called Mr. Wong's or something like that.

You mean Mr. Wu's. I love Mr Wu.

I do indeed mean Mr. Wu's. Mr Wu is great.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Chronotub
post Jun 5 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #16

Worrying

Member No.: 1,776

The museums in London are excellent, if you have an interest in that subject then you can spend almost the entire day in them (particularly the imperial war museum, the science museum, the British museum and the natural history museum). And as mentioned earlier the Tate modern is fairly interesting.

--------------------
Rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn!

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Jun 5 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #17

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

La la la.

Me and the boy entertained an American today, and she really liked Camden. Kicked around, did some shopping, up to the markets, and then down to the World's End for beers. So yeah, that's recommended.

On Tuesday, he took her to Soho and down a sex shop alley, and then to a gay bar for Guinnesses. Fun! I didn't attend, so it was a bit weird having someone say your boyfriend took her down a sex alley.

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jun 6 2005, 09:21 AM
Post #18

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Some of them are quite good, like the London Eye and some of the museams are excellent

The London Eye issupposed to be closing I think.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jun 6 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #19

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

Here's your list of things NOT to do to avoid looking like a dumb ammurr-kin tourist.

1: Complain about the price of anything. Especially petrol (translation: gas).
2: Allow anyone to hear you say that anything is better in America. It'll piss people off, as inside our heads, the British Empire is still alive, and Brittania really does Rule The Waves. Americans are only one small step up the evolutionary ladder from Australians, who were criminals 200 years ago, so clearly still are.
3: Wear white socks pulled up to your knees with shorts.
4: Ask where the restroom is. You'll get a blank look in return. The correct phrasiology is 'toilet' if you're being polite. If you wanted to be more colloqial, you could ask where the crapper or bog is.

That's all I can think of now - will add more if they occur to me.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jun 6 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #20

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

don't forget calling things of national pride 'quaint' or 'cute'. This will rile anybody anywhere, and is a habit often observed in trans-atlanticans.

Example:

"What's that?"

"Those are the Houses of Parliament"

"oh, how cute!"

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jun 6 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #21

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Woo, Jonman, I have a couple to add:
-Standing infront of entrances/exits and blocking them whilst looking at a map, whilst people squeeze themselves by you.
-Waiting until you get to the cashier to take out your money and figure out a 5 note from a 50 note.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 6 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #22

Shut up, noob!

What kind of British English have you been taught?

My sources in no particular order:
1. You cats
2. My extended family
3. Skate documentaries and movies made by skaters (e.g. Haggard) that seem to include an abnormally large amount of English skaters, including the long-winded Jason Ellis, Alex Moul and his friend Clifford of Liverpool
4. Out, about and around

I picked up "bird" when I asked Froggy for a UK equivalent to "chick," though "bird" isn't much better according to her. It's great for annoying my friends, which is how I started habitually using the word "fag" for "cigarette."

2: Allow anyone to hear you say that anything is better in America. It'll piss people off, as inside our heads, the British Empire is still alive, and Brittania really does Rule The Waves. Americans are only one small step up the evolutionary ladder from Australians, who were criminals 200 years ago, so clearly still are.

According to my cousin and aunt, everything is better in the UK. Then again, my cousin was born in London and my aunt pretends she is (she's Welsh).

3: Wear white socks pulled up to your knees with shorts

Dude, that applies anywhere. I live in a tourist trap, remember? We sometimes go tourist spotting for fun. WHat's even worse is when they wear flip-flops with them.

You mean Real English?

Smartass.

I also speak Georgian English, Phildelphian English and some upstate New Yorkish English. My Philadelphian English allaows me to know the meanings of the words "cheesesteak," "Tastykake" and "Wawa." biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jun 6 2005, 04:47 PM
Post #23

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

QUOTE (Righteous @ Jun 6 2005, 05:26 PM)
According to my cousin and aunt, everything is better in the UK. Then again, my cousin was born in London and my aunt pretends she is (she's Welsh).

Exactly, see?

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 6 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #24

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

QUOTE (Jonman @ Jun 6 2005, 08:01 AM)
Here's your list of things NOT to do to avoid looking like a dumb ammurr-kin tourist.

3: Wear white socks pulled up to your knees with shorts.

Well damn! That's Randy's NORMAL way of wearing shorts! rolleyes.gif Maybe I can re-train him before we get hitched. laugh.gif

/spam

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 6 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #25

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (Pab @ Jun 6 2005, 12:20 PM)
don't forget calling things of national pride 'quaint' or 'cute'. This will rile anybody anywhere, and is a habit often observed in trans-atlanticans.

Example:

"What's that?"

"Those are the Houses of Parliament"

"oh, how cute!"

Do "sweet," "snazzy," "awesome," "cool," "stellar" and "righteous" count?
Rick says things are "righteous" all the time; it may make things confusing.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 10:42 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!