IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any idea what went wrong* with my Apple?, Macs are infallible, so it was prolly me
froggle-rock
post Jun 12 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #1

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,174

Okies, so what happened to my Mac? The first thein I remember is that the background from iChat windows disapeared, which has never happned before. Then I restarted, whenever I shutdown the puter it asks if I wasnt to file vault thingy, which to the best of my understanding is defragging it saying summit about "recovering disk space". Which I near always let it do whenever I restat/shutdown.

Then xChat lost all it's server information, Keychain Access isn't filling in passwords, programmes have gone back to thier default skins/setting, iTunes said the library thingy was fubared, so then it had to look for everything again and re-summit or other. applications are showing me the "Fisrt time you use, blahblahblah" window but some still have the last project I worked on already opended. AND, and my dock (taskbarish thing) went back to it's defualt position, with it's default icons ohmy.gif . Luckily Mos Def is okay, and still my wallpaper smile.gif . It could have been really serious if Frogg (for that is my Apple's name) had gone to some pooey deafult wallpaper.

Pretty much it seems to have set everything back to default, like KeyChain (the password remeber proggy) which is a bugger beacause I can't find my password book (Sod's Law innit) And, I dunnno. I have all the programmes I had before it started acting blink.gif and it's running fine (well it's a bit annoying that iTunes now has the soundeffects fromm iMovie), but well: Why would that happen?

I welcome any "I'm not a Mac user, but the reason on a PC would be yadda yadda yadda", becaus eI haven't the foggyest

Many thanks wink.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jun 12 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #2

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

My experience with macs is next to zilch, and I should keep my fool mouth shut unless I make it worse.

... but i see 2 possibilities:

a. you have in fact bought a new mac. look out for colour changes in the plastic, a shift in model number, large holes in the bank account, small supicious bits of polistyrene and other packaging material....

b. doesn't the mac OS use folders to put that stuff in? Could an extensions folder or setupy folder have been moved or nuked? Are there automatic backups of said folders?

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
zivane
post Jun 12 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #3

Goddess of Purple Froot Loops

Group: Established Members
From: various, Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Member No.: 1,682

Have you kept up with your updates? Something funny happened to my Mac when I did an update a few months back... and for some reason it was all better about a week later. *shrug* All I can say is check for new updates and maybe find your reset button (those are listed somewhere on the apple website).

Oh yeah, if you knock onelittle thing the tiniest micrometer out of place, all hell breaks loose on a Mac. I know when I installed an airport card on a 14'' powerbook, I didn't close the door for it entirely snapped into place and it wouldn't even start. So, check to make sure nothing's fallen in anywhere, that every last thing is in place.

--------------------
hawtt?! perfect ^.^

niao! ^.^ mr. cheeseiemooseys n00b - kinda, eh?

t3h uber 1337 LJ monster Little Gamers Web Comic My Space

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 12:37 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!