IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> driving lessons
what should I go with
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 28
Guests cannot vote 
depressed lonely...
post Jun 15 2005, 07:24 AM
Post #1

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,469

O.K I've recently come into some money from selling stuff on ebay and now my mum is sugesting that I spend it on driving lessons her rational is that A) I need at least a few professional lessons cool.gif I need $30 for my P plates any way and C) I should learn to drive now while I'm living in a small town because I'm planing to move to Sydney next year which apparently will be harder to learn to drive in and is bigger so I'm more likely to need a car AND my gran has suggested that she may wish to buy me a car if I was driving enough.

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Jun 15 2005, 08:13 AM
Post #2

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

learn to drive
its the most useful skill I can think of, it can mean the difference between an job or not, it gives you freedom.

Save up for fabric and CD's another day.

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jun 15 2005, 11:34 AM
Post #3

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

I voted for the driving lessons too. I really do wish I had taken up the offers for lessons when I was a lass. Anyways, it'll open up your options, look good on CV, be of use. If you have enough money to do it then go for it.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Jun 15 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #4

I have a total of $210.
$21 is going on my sisters birthday in july
$30 would go on P-plates
I was hoping to get my septum peirced FINALY $40
I'm looking at the Velvet goldmine Soundtrack on Ebay curently going for $12
And I need fabric for some projects which I intend to make up and use in my portfolio which I will need to get into 4 out of the 5 courses I plan to apply for in October.
Another plan I had was to ask a lady I know in sydney if she would be willing to have me for work experience in her costume shop just so I'd have a person reference that wasn't a family friend/family member and it should proove that I can interact with humans.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jun 15 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #5

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Lessons. If Australia is anything like America, the lessons'll pay off in reduced insurance. Either way, driving is very useful (I can drive anywhere as I learned to drive in New Jersey. The worst place to drive. Ever.)

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Jun 15 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #6

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Jun 15 2005, 06:07 PM)
(I can drive anywhere as I learned to drive in New Jersey.  The worst place to drive.  Ever.)

Do you have roundabouts in New Jersey?

/spam

On a more relavent note; definately get lessons... learning to drive is one of the awesomest things you can do, it's so liberateing to be able to go anywhere, anytime and not have to worry about relying on someone else!

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Jun 15 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #7

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

Learn to drive -> Freedom.

Basically. I wish I'd had driving lessons earlier and saved up for a car. But alas, I though "Oh no, I won't need a car." How I rue that decision now.

So, get driving lessons!

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 16 2005, 01:32 AM
Post #8

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

Driving lessons, hands down. I came from a small town and live in Seattle now, and I can vouch for the fact that it's MUCH easier to learn how to drive there than in a city. Just think of how many hundreds of cars more there will be on the streets of Sydney than in the town you live in now....

I'd find out how much the lessons are going to cost before you start splitting up how you're going to spend your money. The lessons I paid for cost $250 American, but that's because he was the best guy in the town I was in and my grandparents wouldn't settle for less. I could have gone to a different place and paid $100 instead, or just have taken it in school for $50.

So do a little research and hopefully you can find classes on the cheap, then start mentally tallying what else you want to spend it on. It'll save you a lot of heartbreak in the end, if you find out the lessons are expensive and that after it all you can't afford that perfect fabric.

Oh, and deffinitely ask the lady if you can work in her shop! That would be great experience! Go for it!

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Twitching
post Jun 16 2005, 06:11 AM
Post #9

like peppermint aftertaste

Group: New Members
Member No.: 714

I took lessons at my school based on the fact that it would get me out of gym class. And it was cheap- like Feyliya said, $50. But I lived to tell the tale, and haven't had any trouble.

So spending some money on them might be a good idea, just so you've got someone to tell you what you're doing wrong while you can still correct it and all.

--------------------
Medae is my n00b!

Oink!

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Jun 16 2005, 06:52 AM
Post #10

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

I currently drive a Vespa. I'm 24 and am now thinking that learning to drive a car would be advisable as my job requires carting shite around. If you are working in fashion/ art based stuff you will also need a boot to stuff crud in. Get the driving lessons. Busses suck

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Jun 16 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #11

I had hoped to spend $40 on re-soling a pair of boots too sad.gif

I think I'll save half for driving related stuff and use the rest to a bare minimum on what I need, And I think I'll have to find some stuff to sell on Ebay
Tell me would you buy the following
PVC trousers
Elton john cds
Platform mary jane shoes
Platform spice girls shoes
Djembe drum
3 metres of black synthetic fabric
Ugg boots
Big old shells
Coral
Wish bones
Anne rice books
John wyndam books
Silver bangle (cost $280 in 1983)
A dozen pairs of white/cream evening gloves

Maybe I'll see if I can find any more semi valuable crap in my room or should I just start buying things to sell?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jun 17 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #12

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I am sure there will be someone out there who would want to buy those things. Especialy the spice girl shoes as they are reforming for live-8..

I can't believe you can just pay $50 for driving lessons in America! It costs about 25 an hour where I live!

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 17 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #13

Here in America things are spread out so much that you pretty much HAVE to learn how to drive, so folks try to make things cheap for the poor kiddies who have to pay.

I wouldn't suggest selling anything you would want to use later, DLCP. Then you'd end up paying more for the thing later on. The Spice Girl shoes, I'd sell them just on principle ( ::shudder:: ) The CDs I'd burn or just copy from the CD onto your computer then sell. Shells and coral could sell pretty well. Books sell pretty well, too, if they're in good condition. If it's a book that you plan on reading again, or particularly like, I wouldn't suggest getting rid of it, because it wouldn't be worth it (books > everything). The evening gloves could probably go pretty well, but I'd keep a pair or two back for yourself, and sell them in sets of 2 or 3. I don't know how well a Djembe drum would go.....you could try, I guess. I don't think the PVC pants, platform Mary Janes, Ugg boots, black fabric, or wish bones would go for very much. Used clothing is generally not the best thing to sell on Ebay, unless it's antique, retro, or name-brand, and people generally want more than just 3 meters of fabric. And I don't suggest selling the silver bracelet, unless it's just the ugliest thing in the world and you'd never EVER wear it. Jewelry is just one of those things that people should hang onto, especially when it's real. Save it for when you're older and have something really REALLY important to spend money on before you get rid of it (like rent, car payments, food, school books, etc...).

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Jun 18 2005, 12:24 PM
Post #14

I went to spotlight today and got the most unbelievable bargains.
brocades at $2 and $4 a metre ohmy.gif and shirting at $3 and $4 a metre in total I spent $74.85 and got 25 metres of fabric for use in skirts, corsets, and possibly some matching blazerish coats.
I know I should've saved it but the bargains were irrisistable, the brocades were originally $16.95, $18.95 and $21.95 a metre. And I totallly ignored a bunch of nifty stuff that I have no real use for and I had to leave the wool suiting that was marked down from $27.99 to $12.99 just from lack of money which is frustrating when it's still a bargain. I feel all happy tongue.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif look emoticon abuse

*bounce bounce*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 18 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #15

So, in my estimation, you've got about $135 left over. And you said in your other posts that you wanted to do all this:

$21 - sisters birthday in july
$30 - P-plates
$40 - septum peirced
$12 - Velvet goldmine Soundtrack on Ebay
$40 - re-soling a pair of boots

If I were you, I'd spend the $30 for your P-plates and the $21 on your sister's birthday, then save the rest for your driving lessons. That way you've got the fabric for your portfolio (I still say talk to that lady, too; beefing up your portfolio is deffinitely a good way to go! biggrin.gif ), you've got your P-plates that your mum wants you to pay for out of the way, and you've got your sister's birthday covered. Then you'll have $84 for your driving lessons. The rest you can wait for until you get more money in. And when you get more money in, I'd spend it on re-soling your boots first. Unless you run into any more deals like the ones you just did!

Speaking of which.....I don't suppose I could make big puppy-dog eyes at you and get some of that fabric? Pwease? ::makes giant puppy eyes:: O.O

J/K, I'm just jealous! laugh.gif

*edit
But I must insist that you post pics when you're done, if you can! I've got to see what you're going to make!

--------------------

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Jun 19 2005, 07:28 AM
Post #16

Thanks Fey, That was what I was deciding to do
You know I just realised I'm a little scared of the whole idea of driving which is silly.
If all else fails I do get $8.50 a week in pocket monies so if I stay off Ebay I end up having money pile up.

BTW I was hoping you'd like my fabric, it's kind of nice to have somone to appreciate your good luck.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jun 19 2005, 11:45 AM
Post #17

Wait for the uprising

I love fabrics! There is a little fabric shop in a small local town which I have been going to with my mum since I was about 3- it's like an Aladdin's cave biggrin.gif

Do you just make clothes, or bags etc as well? I make hats, bags and jewelry except I can't find anywhere to sell them and I have a whole load of stock sitting in my room...

I was thinking about e-bay, but then I wasn't sure if you can sell stuff like that as I am an e-bay virgin.. biggrin.gif

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Jun 19 2005, 01:16 PM
Post #18

Depending on how well made and original they are they're probably a perfect thing to sell on Ebay.
I make ordinary clothes(button down shirts, trousers etc)because I'm a weird shape (short,big thighs, busty etc) and pretty semi historical clothes because I've never gotten over playing dress up hence the whole Goth thing and because I love old fashioned (pre 1915) styles also I just get a certain sense of satisfaction from sewing.
I used to make bags but stopped when I realised I had 22 of them on the back of my door and I use 3,
I'm also currentlly trying to work out how to make a triquarter hat, when I get the pattern figured I'll make one out of velvet tongue.gif .
Have you tried making a duct tape dressmakers dummy?duct tape dummy Thats another thing I want to spend some money on when I have $15 to spare just to use on draping for 1850-1890 style dresses

--------------------

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Jun 19 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #19

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

I can't believe you can just pay $50 for driving lessons in America! It costs about 25 an hour where I live!

In NJ $250 is considered cheap. Plus the DMV fees. We don't have the school-run driving lessons, due to the fact that the insurance is too high for the schools to afford, due to the fact that drivers in NJ are a few clowns short of a circus. Which is why I don't drive. Because I think this "living" thing is kinda cool.

Still, get lessons over CD's. You'll probably not even like the CD's a year from now, and driving is--I am told--a useful skill. (As for me, I've got my own theme song by Queen.)

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 21 2005, 02:03 AM
Post #20

I'm a nut about fabric, and I hope that some day my sewing will become proficient enough for me to make my own clothing. I HATE most of the generic clothes you find in stores, and when I do find something that I like it's bloody freaking expensive. Sadly, though, right now I'm only good enough to do basic sewing. I could probably do better than basic sewing if I was sewing by hand, but that takes a long, long time. rolleyes.gif

I'm deffinitely going to try that duct-tape dummy idea! That's so awesome! One of my biggest problems with sewing is that I can't really fit things on myself, and I suck at taking my own measurements (and so do most of the people around me!).

And don't worry about being scared of driving. Most think people are when they start out. I sure was. That's why it's such a good idea to have a professional driving instructor. My driving instructor had seen everything and was so calm it made me relax automatically.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jun 22 2005, 11:45 AM
Post #21

Wait for the uprising

Have you tried making a duct tape dressmakers dummy?
- Sounds as though it could be fun but umm... dangerous if I got any of my friends to help me out biggrin.gif

My stuff isn't all too original, as I don't have the time or space to do my own designs, but it's pretty well made. My mum is a costume mistress for a local amateur dramatics club, so I get to help her out with stuff like finding clothes in certain sizes and periods when we go to cotume places. There was this one place with a huge room dedicated to shoes, hats, bags, etc etc... It was amazing! biggrin.gif

If you can get yourself a toy tri-quarter hat, and take it apart, it might help. I have found that deconstructing is a good way to then start to construct.

(As for me, I've got my own theme song by Queen.)

"I like to ride my bicycle, I like to ride my bike..." laugh.gif

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Jun 22 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #22

If you can get yourself a toy tri-quarter hat, and take it apart, it might help. I have found that deconstructing is a good way to then start to construct.

I can't I'm thinking I could use A three peice pattern for the actual over my head part and a normal brim and pin it up, It might work if I used two layers of iron in interfacing with a layer of sew-in just to give it some body

taking things apart is a great way to see how thinks are assembled also I recently found a book called the history of fashion which shows the standard dress for richer men and women from 1035 to 1950 then goes into under garmants, hair and assesories then on the next page shows the exact shapes scaled down to 1.16 so you can see all the bits and then show where boning was inthe corsets and ire in crinolens it's eye candy to me:rolleyes:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jun 23 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #23

Wait for the uprising

Wow, sounds amazing biggrin.gif (no sarcasm!)

Are you going to make like a skull cap for the main bit, and then get the three sides and sew them onto a brim, and onto that?

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Jun 24 2005, 05:40 AM
Post #24

yeah pretty much, It's just finding the right fabric to make a draft out of and then getting my stuff together to do it that gives me trouble, I need a clean area to sew in and none of my house is ever clean, even my sewing room seems to get messed up if I don't go up there every few days to make sure that things are put back after people have looked for stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jun 24 2005, 12:30 PM
Post #25

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

Looks like the majority of people want you to have driving lessons. Makes sense to me smile.gif Best thing I ever did. Although I'm selling my car in a few weeks and will be car-less for the first time since 1998 sad.gif I don't use it at the moment and it's pointless having it sitting there costing me money.

Good luck if you do have lessons biggrin.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 04:20 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!