Reply to this topicStart new topic
> User details harvesting site, Dont't know if this is the place to post
KOPITE87
post Jun 15 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #1

More proficient guppy

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,840

Hi, sorry if i am posting on the wrong thread...

Earn free rewards from chocolate - wristbands - footballs - T.V's!

You dont have to get referrals, this is optional. You can earn your rewards simply for signing up to a few offers.

Have a look at the site - its all free!

[and now the link has been removed... For free! - Mata]

There's also a forum wth daily quizzes to win some great prizes
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 15 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

It's usually considered polite to make a few posts before promoting a site that encourages people to give over their personal details in return for trinkets.

Funnily enough, I decided that I didn't really fancy letting you do this. Ask me first next time.

I think I'm getting psychic about usernames. I saw the registration email and I thought 'that looks like a spammer, I bet their first post is junk' et voila!

Sorry if you're an innocent person genuinely trying to promote something that you like, but... Well frankly it just looks like you're trying to use my site to promote someone else's for profit. That's called advertising, and you don't get it for free (unless I really like you, which you've not got off to a great start with).

EDIT: Well there's a surprise:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=kop...le+Search&meta=

Kopite's been spamming the web with this. Excuse me while I don't die of shock.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Jun 16 2005, 09:13 AM
Post #3

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

Haha! Koplite got pwned! Roffle!

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 16 2005, 11:01 AM
Post #4

I like roffles. They go well with beans and sausages. 'Great hangover food.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
KOPITE87
post Jun 18 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #5

More proficient guppy

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,840

Only tryin to do what the rest of the peeps are doin on YSC...this website is no competition to you anyway, so i dont see why u gotta b1tch about it?

+Quote Post
arachnidoc17
post Jun 18 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #6

Entomophobic

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,231

QUOTE (KOPITE87 @ Jun 18 2005, 12:02 PM)
Only tryin to do what the rest of the peeps are doin on YSC...this website is no competition to you anyway, so i dont see why u gotta b1tch about it?

Ree-ow!

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Jun 18 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #7

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

Mata frowns on what he calls "vigilante modding" on his forums, and I respect his wishes because I use his bandwidth, so I'm NOT going to point out your awful grammar or your inability to spell the word "bitch" (1 is a long way from i on the keyboard). I am not going to do that at all.

What I am going to say is that he has every right to "b1tch" about it because; one, this is his site and what he says goes; two, as he already pointed out advertising is not free - ads haven't been something seen on his site until recently and when he made the descision to put them on he did not do it lightly, and so I can see that this would be a rather personal matter for him too and; three, spam is spam is spam is spam. If you had read into these forums at all you would have seen straight off that not one person would have clicked your link anyway. We are, for the main part, rather against your type of behaviour and also not very interested in "signing up for a few offers". We've been there, done that and are now in a position to sell the t-shirts and could care less about this sort of thing.

And, imho, that's why he felt he had to "b1tch" about it, unneccessary question mark?

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
arachnidoc17
post Jun 18 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #8

Entomophobic

Member No.: 1,231

*sigh* Another spam monkey invading the forums. WHEN WILL IT END?

I suggest a mod lock this topic.

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 19 2005, 01:57 PM
Post #9

I am not 'b1tching', I am pointing out that this is spam that is encouraging people to give their personal details to companies in return for almost nothing. These details will then sit in databases probably until computers cease to exist or we evolve into being of pure energy that no longer need capitalism for low concerns such as commercial profit. Until that day, people who give their details out to companies will contacted by 'carefully selected partners' (ie, companies that can afford the list). They will then reuse the list, pass it between one-another, and probably use the names in dark Satanic rituals.

Okay, maybe not that last bit, but you get the idea. You, by promoting that site, were encouraging people to do something that I think is very unwise. As the owner of this site I have a duty to try and protect my members as much as I can. One way to do this is to help prevent them beign lured into giving away the Manhatten that is their personal information in return for glass beads.

More than this (as if that weren't already enough of a reason to edit out your advert for that site) by Googling for your other posts about this on the web, it is clear that you rarely become involved with the websites that you post an advert on. This means that you log in, spam with an advert, whether the people want it or not, and then move on to somewhere else.

So, to summarise, you were:

trying to get free advertising
encouraging people to give over their personal details to companies (something which I disagree with)
doing this with your very first post on my forums
probably not going to bother talking to anyone after you had posted this

Now in your follow-up post you've used mild swearing and constant incorrect English (both of which break the rules of my forum).

In this light, does it seem so surprising that there has been a strong reaction against this?

This forum isn't run like most of the web, and I'm happy about that. If you had taken the time to get to know the place you would have realised that, which is another reason that this classifies as spam. If I did not explain to people why this sort of thing is unwelcome here then I might get more. I don't want more spam on this site, which is why I'm taking the time to explain this to you.

Here's a funny thing I've noticed: I like to explain things fully, so that there is no doubt about my position. People on the web are so accustomed to one-line statements that it seems like I'm on some kind of rant. I'm not, but isn't it odd that being polite and fully explaining your position is now read by people as being argumentative? It's quite sad that we've got to the point where discussion is viewed in this way.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
DarkInferno
post Jun 19 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #10

Serpents hide behind your eyes

Member No.: 346

Everybody knows the true reason Mata doesn't want you to give out your personal details is because it weakens their powers in his own dark Satanic rituals. ph34r.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
- Bill Hicks

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jun 20 2005, 09:27 AM
Post #11

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 19 2005, 02:57 PM)
... I like to explain things fully, so that there is no doubt about my position. People on the web are so accustomed to one-line statements that it seems like I'm on some kind of rant. I'm not, but isn't it odd that being polite and fully explaining your position is now read by people as being argumentative? It's quite sad that we've got to the point where discussion is viewed in this way.

Quite. This fracture in rational behaviour ranks right up there with sentences like ...
Only tryin to do what the rest of the peeps are doin on Y_S_C

... where just because one person does something, all responsability and/or thought processes are wavered or ignored. "I just do what they all do" is the mentality that turns a society into a limp thoughtless ebb of slime and takes us closer to the great metaphorical head-lights that break the bunnies neck.

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 10:37 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!