Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Java script confusion
I_am_the_best
post Jun 19 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #1

Dirty Laundry

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,573

We have to make websites at school using Dreamweaver and I'm making mine on the harmonograph. I've found a little java applet that I would like to use on my site, (I'm not sure about copyright and such but I shall mention the website underneath), just, I'm not sure how to make it work. This is the website which the java applet is in and this is the code for it.

Please can someone help me how to put it on my website using simple terms. I'm a girl who knows zilch about computers and such technical terms.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jun 21 2005, 06:05 PM
Post #2

Dirty Laundry

Anybody know how? I kinda need this done by Friday. I'm sorry if this is a spammy double-post but I'm freaking out because I only have 1hr 10min that I can work on it before Friday... sad.gif

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Jun 21 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #3

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

I don't know any Java, but looking at the source for the page, the applet seem to be inserted with this tag:

<applet code="Trochor.class" width=600 height=400>
"Trochoid style"
</applet>

As to whether it requires anything else, I have no idea. Stick it in your html and see if it complains. The 'code="whatever" ' bit should be the URL of the applet. More about the <applet> tag if you're interested.

With regards to copyright, the first comment in the Java bit states:

"This version Fergus Crawshay Murray, February 2000."

Again, I'm not really knowledgeable about this, so I suppose it depends on just what you're going to do with it. There's an email address in there too, so you could always ask permission.

That's about the best I can do.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jun 22 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #4

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

Let's imagine you are putting that applet in a page called thatpage.htm

1. copy/paste this address into your browser:

http://fergusmurray.members.beeb.net/Trochor.class

It will ask if you want to save it. Yes you do. Stick it in THE SAME FOLDER as thatpage.htm.

2. in thatpage.htm paste the code greeneyes spotted:

<applet code="Trochor.class" width=600 height=400>
"Trochoid style"
</applet>

It doesnt have to take up 3 lines. Its just neater.

3. Sit back and look smug, cos it works

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jun 22 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Dirty Laundry

Thanks both of you!! I shall try the methods at school because I haven't got Dreamweaver here. smile.gif

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Jun 22 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #6

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Jun 22 2005, 07:31 PM)
Thanks both of you!! I shall try the methods at school because I haven't got Dreamweaver here. smile.gif

If you've got a copy of the html document, you can just stick it in with any text editor. Just find the appropriate part of your page and insert the tag in. Simple as that. No fancy software required.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jun 23 2005, 11:26 AM
Post #7

Dirty Laundry

unsure.gif I've tried putting the applet into the html code like suggested and it appears on the page. However, when I try it out using IE, it just appears like a grey square with a red cross in the corner.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jun 23 2005, 01:25 PM
Post #8

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

well, I've just whacked up a simple html document with only that code and it works fine. Whilst testing, I was getting a grey box when the Trochor.class file wasnt in the same directory as the html file that calls it.

So lets make this completely clear:

the Trochor.class file MUST be sitting right next to the html file, in the same directory, if you are using the <applet> tag exactly as it is in the example.

If this is the case, and you still get a grey box, then we have to wonder why your IE wont show you the java applet. Security could easily be a point. My comp told me it had blocked it, so I clicked on that yellow bar thing that appears up top and that was that. Maybe your explorer is set to "Neurosis" level, and simply wnt open an applet it doesnt know?

If you're still stuck, pm me with accurate descriptions of what is and isnt happening, and we'll find a way.

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jun 24 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #9

Dirty Laundry

Thank you so much! I had put it in the 'assets' folder instead of the 'pages' folder where the page was stored. It works now! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 11:38 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!