Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I need some help with my computer, Attack of the pop-ups
voices_in_my_hea...
post Jun 19 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #1

If my woman were a fire...

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,473

Here's my problem: My computer has been taken over by pop-ups, (and I'm Suspicious that there is spy ware involved too) which is causing the whole computer to run slower. I've tried Getting rid of them with Spybot search and destroy, norton AntiVirus, and Yahoo Anti-spy, but only to have the following things happen:

Norton AntiVirus: Won't let me delete anything.

Yahoo Anti-spy: All of the problems come back the next day.

Spybot Search and destroy: Scans completly, but freezes up right before it finishes deleting everything.

So, any suggestions for something I could use to Block or Delete Spyware? (Or maybe just some help fixing the Programs I already have, so that I don't have to download stuff under my dad's nose)

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 20 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Try Ad-Aware

http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910...page&tag=button

It sounds like you need a decent firewall too. I'll let someone else suggest what to use.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jun 20 2005, 09:39 AM
Post #3

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

It is likely that the spyware fairies have taken root. What you need to do is:

- Bare in mind my comp isnt in English, so all instructions are translations. Find nearest equivalents.
- Print these instructions
- If you have the right operating system (lets just assume you do, for now) right click on "My Computer" and look for "System Restore". You must make the little tick box say "Disable System Restore".

* this will stop windows from sticking back a beautuful copy of your muoldy computer everytime you fix something. This may well explain the yahoo behaviour you mentioned.

- Turn your computer off
- Turn it on again, whilst tapping the F8 key about twice per second until the screen stops and asks you to choose an option to start up the comp

* (if this does not work, do it again until it does or say so here)

- Choose the option closest to "JUST Safe Mode" using the arrows on your keyboard to move the white 'bar' up and down

* This starts your comp up with the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM stuff going on, so in theeory most or all of the evil spirits are out of action and cant defend themselves so flaming well.

- Once in windows (that now looks really ugly, but thats fine) you run Spybot again, and complete the process. Then also run Norton. If you got Adaware, run adaware too.
* You may find'em all to be quite a bit slower. No worries. Go for a walk or something. You should still get much further than last time.

- It is possible that spybot says something like "Cant nuke'm all, Can I try again when you reboot?" in which case say yes, but finish Norton scan first before rebooting normally.

*You end up rebooting normally (no F8 key) and hopefully you will have a nicer comp than before. You can repeat the whole excercise if you like.

It is possible that your comp is further gone than that and still can't get back. If this happens you must either identify which spyware has grabbed you, and nuke it specifically with a specific tool for removing that spyware, or give up and format the whole lot and reinstall everything. Yuk.

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jun 20 2005, 01:10 PM
Post #4

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

It's possible, but unlikely with all the stuff you're running, that you're getting pop-ups in windows alert boxes (the ones where you have to click an OK button to get rid of them). If you're getting those, it's an easy fix (but I'm lazy so I won't type it out unless someone wants it tongue.gif)

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
torn love notes
post Jul 15 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #5

Worrying

Member No.: 1,891

I live in Texas too, and I had the same problem. Go to Best buy and buy a pop up blocker.

--------------------
Where'd the cheese go?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is life but a death sentence waiting to be completed?

+Quote Post
arachnidoc17
post Jul 15 2005, 05:07 AM
Post #6

Entomophobic

Member No.: 1,231

QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Jun 19 2005, 07:42 PM)
Norton AntiVirus: Won't let me delete anything.

Norton gives me the address of the spyware. I delete it manually.

If your version of Norton doesn't give you the address, use what Mata said.

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Jul 15 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #7

It'll take me about a week to convince my dad to let me install that... Or I could just wait until he goes on another business trip. biggrin.gif

Any suggestions for a firewall, though?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 16 2005, 01:36 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (torn love notes @ Jul 15 2005, 04:02 AM)
I live in Texas too, and I had the same problem. Go to Best buy and buy a pop up blocker.

Yes, you could go and spend money, or you could download something else completely legally that does exactly the same job for free.

As well as Ad-Aware you should also get Spybot Search & Destroy

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest...4-10122137.html

Between that and Ad-Aware you should be able to nuke anything bad on your system. Both bits of software basically do similar things overall, but Spybot has an 'immunisation' facility that can prevent nasty things from getting onto your machine again in future. Clever stuff. Again, free and legal to download. Brilliant stuff.

Firewall: I can't believe you're on the web without one. No wonder you've got nasty things on your machine! I hate to think what's skulking around on your system. It's amazing that it works at all considering the amount of rubbish trying to get onto computers at the moment... Anyway,

http://soho.sygate.com/default.htm

Sygate Personal Firewall Standard is free and rock solid. I use it, and I know several other people who use it, and I've never heard any complaints. When you first use it it will ask you loads of times about whether you want to allow systems to access the internet. You'd be amazed at how much of Windows wants to talk online to other things all the time. Generally it's best to let anything from the System32 folder to talk if it wants to. Do a really good scan of your system for spyware and viruses before installing it and then you should be able to comfortably agree to let pretty much everything access the system when you first run it. After the first few days you will probably almost never get asked questions by it unless you're installing new software, and then it's just a case of saying 'yes' and ticking the 'don't ask me again' box.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
ravein
post Jul 16 2005, 03:08 AM
Post #9

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 40

Also let me suggest Spy Sweeper. This is what we used at my last job. You can download the free version at www.spysweeper.com, chose free trial.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Jul 16 2005, 06:35 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Mata @ Jul 15 2005, 08:36 PM)
Firewall: I can't believe you're on the web without one. No wonder you've got nasty things on your machine! I hate to think what's skulking around on your system. It's amazing that it works at all considering the amount of rubbish trying to get onto computers at the moment...

Can I blame my dad again? Last time I put a firewall up, all he did was complain about... Well, I honestly don't know what he was complaining about laugh.gif . Maybe this one will last longer.

I'm going to see if I can get away with Adaware first, and then I'll try to get away with other things. Thanks for the help, guys! Maybe some day, not today, and not tommorow, but some day - my dad will relise that he really doesn't know what he's talking about. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 16 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #11

I've put a pinned topic in this thread about this stuff because it seems to be a fairly common problem.

And yes, you definitely need a firewall running! You've got two options:

1) let anyone on the web with some basic skills see everything stored on your computer

2) get a firewall.

Simple really! smile.gif Good luck with your dad!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Jul 17 2005, 12:52 PM
Post #12

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE (Mata @ Jul 16 2005, 01:36 AM)
http://soho.sygate.com/default.htm

Sygate Personal Firewall Standard is free and rock solid. I use it, and I know several other people who use it, and I've never heard any complaints. When you first use it it will ask you loads of times about whether you want to allow systems to access the internet. You'd be amazed at how much of Windows wants to talk online to other things all the time. Generally it's best to let anything from the System32 folder to talk if it wants to. Do a really good scan of your system for spyware and viruses before installing it and then you should be able to comfortably agree to let pretty much everything access the system when you first run it. After the first few days you will probably almost never get asked questions by it unless you're installing new software, and then it's just a case of saying 'yes' and ticking the 'don't ask me again' box.

Argh. I use Sygate but it is really annoying me at the moment because it ignores me when I click the 'don't ask me again' box so I get it asking me about stuff about once every 30 seconds. ARGH!
[/rant]

But yeah, don't let that stop you getting it, you really do need a firewall.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 17 2005, 03:38 PM
Post #13

The pop-up things really do need careful calibration when you first set it up otherwise they will be telling you all the time that it's blocked some completely harmless thing that Wincdows always runs in the background. this is why I suggest getting your Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware scans done thoroughly before installing Sygate, so when it asks you if anything is okay you can say 'yes - don't ask me again' with good confidence.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Aug 3 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jun 20 2005, 08:10 AM)
It's possible, but unlikely with all the stuff you're running, that you're getting pop-ups in windows alert boxes (the ones where you have to click an OK button to get rid of them). If you're getting those, it's an easy fix (but I'm lazy so I won't type it out unless someone wants it tongue.gif)

Grr... I'm getting those now too, and they just refuse to stop. So, Could you please type that out for me? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Aug 4 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #15

This space intentionally left blank

Member No.: 203

Aaargh! I strongly suspect that you are bad people! Who do things that are not right!

Usually the only time you get spam through the Windows Messaging Service is if you: A)Have no firewall or B)Have your firewall set up incorrectly so it isn't doing its job.

I should point out that while the boxes and manuals for off the shelf routers may say that they will act as a firewall they really do not in the sense that you may be expecting. It can't be stressed enough that is absolutely essential to run one. A decent virus scanner too. A machine with no security whatsoever will very quickly be totally raped and, while some people may be able to live with a machine that runs like a steaming turd, it'll very likely be pumping out spam and virii left right and centre, and that is a problem for everybody else.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
DarkInferno
post Aug 5 2005, 07:02 AM
Post #16

Serpents hide behind your eyes

Member No.: 346

I also sugest killing the Windows Messaging Service. It has no real use, except spam.

--------------------

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
- Bill Hicks

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Aug 5 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #17

I'd really rather not do anything that my dad can easily find out about, or I'll get a hour lecture about how it's his computer and he knows what he's doing, (Har Har) And then He'll just un-install anything that I may have put on here. This is usally followed by him being in a bad mood all week, until he has to leave for another trip.
*sigh*

Okay... Any Ideas on how exactly I messed up the firewall?

Sorry if these questions are starting to get on your nerves, but The only knowledge of computers that puts me ahead of my dad is
1) Don't put magnets on the computer.
2) He hasn't the slightest Idea of what he's saying.

Edit: Um... Now Adaware is freezing up too... It'll complete the scan and everything, and It'll get half way done with deleting all of that evil stuff... but then it'll freeze.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Aug 5 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #18

This space intentionally left blank

Member No.: 203

Can you possibly get your dad to a decent computer shop at any point? If you can you can ask one of their techs to run him through basic computer security, and quite possibly do it while looking at him aghast.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Aug 5 2005, 11:50 PM
Post #19

Unless my phonebook and computer are lying to me, the Only Store around us that even sells things for computers is Wal*mart. I don't think that's what you meant by "decent" is it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 9 2005, 10:51 AM
Post #20

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/09/key_log_scan/

Now that is precisely why you absolutely need to have a firewall running. Maybe leave this article open on the machine for your dad to see?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Oct 11 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #21

My dad finnally gave in after I showed him that, and after it got to the point that we were having to close out about 10 pop-ups every time we went to a different page.

He still keeps insisting it's all my fault though rolleyes.gif

Anyway, the firewall is up, most Adware has been deleted and I think that anyone who took their time to stop and post to help me deserves a big
Thank you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 11 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #22

Yay! Success at last! I'm really pleased that your father has finally seen sense. One down, countless millions to go...

I've updated the computer help thread to point to Avast! for their anti-virus software. It's really amazingly good for a free application. I'm very impressed with it.

http://www.avast.com/

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2017 - 10:26 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!