Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tie dye, hippy needs help
artist.unknown
post Jul 30 2005, 01:33 AM
Post #1

sesquipedalian

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 915

Okay, so I accidentally dyed my fingers brown cutting zucchini (henna-like), and it got me to wondering if I could do the same to a shirt. However, I haven't found and haven't heard of any ways to do organic tie dyeing, and what plants are good to use, or even how to make a dye from plant material. Does anyone have any experience or advice? Thanks. ^^

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jul 30 2005, 03:20 AM
Post #2

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

All I can think of is this project a girl did when we were in the 3rd grade and she boiled different kinds of flowers and such to extract their colors....

I did look up how they died fabrics in the medieval times once and it seemed pretty complicated, theres all these compounds you need (yes, they had powdered chemical-like stuff back then.... strange huh?) and most of the recipes I found were still using the medieval terms for the plants.... O.O Very confusing.... But I can send you thoes links if you're intrested! just send me a pm

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Aria
post Aug 4 2005, 03:48 AM
Post #3

Confused. Very Very Confused.

Member No.: 941

I don't think veggie dyes will last, especially if you're using strong detergents to wash the clothing in. Your best bet would be to use chemical dye... Unless you can find some sort of sealant for the veggie dyes.

--------------------
In your misery
You're not alone
So come share your tears with me
And witness it all go wrong

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Aug 4 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #4

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

I'm pretty sure clays are used as dyes, but you'd have to look into that a bit more... I know nothing about clothing dyes.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Aug 4 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #5

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

You can use also sorts of stuff as a natural dye but it the getting it to stay that's your problem. For the colours it's best just to experiment with pretty much any thing you can think of. You will need a desent amount of anything your going to use because you'll need to boil it. Onion skins give a yellow colour. I think there is stuff you can buy to stay the colour but I'm not sure what it's called.
But as I've said to find differnt colours your best bet is to PLAY! biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Aug 4 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #6

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

I have a T-shirt that was dyed with "Real Red Texas Dirt" (Don't you love the way that tourist will buy anything?)

Maybe you could try different types of dirt?

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
eleraama
post Aug 5 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #7

There is glass between us...!

Member No.: 1,091

Most berries have lots of pigment, and irises stain well too. I think I've heard of using soda (the caustic powder, not the drink) to lock in colour, but I'm not sure... Maybe you could make do with baking soda?

--------------------
"Hell is... other people." No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 3 2005, 02:19 PM
Post #8

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

Salt usually locks in the colour, but I'm not sure for how long...
Walnut husks (the green things that grow around the shell when they are on the tree) make a black dye, Lichen makes yellow (except it is rare in some parts so don't pick it all then find out you have got rid of the local lichen population), and red cabbage and beetroot make excellent purples and reds.
For greens and blues, I have no idea as although green is a very common natural colour it is only because of the chlorophyll in it. And blue is quite an unusual colour, so I suppose you could use lots of flowers for that. But as with most of these, you would probably have to boil them down in lots of water and make a concentrated solution.
NB- If any of my advice goes horibly wrong, ignore it, and don't sue me biggrin.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Sep 3 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #9

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

Most flowers, regardless of the petal colour, will make varying shades of yellow when you try to make them into a dye. Better to use marigolds than lichen...you'd need a ton of lichen to make just a little dye. And marigold are easy to grow, cheap, and not at all rare.

For a strong blue dye, you generally need indigo, I think.

Edit: Whoops. This is Cand. blush.gif

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Sep 3 2005, 08:31 PM
Post #10

sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes the bug

Member No.: 1,348

For a good deep green cabbage leaves or spinach is superb although it takes alot of rather smelly preparation.

Fushia flowers give a good violet/cerise although the amount you'd need would probably be prohibitive.

From memory I think its blackberries and similar fruits give a deep purply colour too.

Rocks and minerals can give some beautiful shades, but again its getting htem in sufficient quantities.

For fixing the dyes it depends on the source and the material you are using. Some use caustic soda (nasty stuff), others use salt which is pretty good all round fixant. Most of them involve a boiling process as well and although colours can be quite vibrant you have to be very careful as washing them and even sunlight affect the colours much more than modern chemical dyes.

Anyway as Cath says PLAY its the best way. If however you do want a few recipes to play with PM me, as I've a book full of ones for dyeing natural wools and yarns. I used to tinker about with it and it certainly gives hours of fun tongue.gif

--------------------
[CENTER]Proud participator in the Noob adoption sharing scheme.
Trial specimen: Raevnkite.
Progress:Progressing Nicely

Tribe Wyvern:Come visit!
Im Irishguys Pockety Pet!!!
[/CENTER]
Maps alter your perceptions, confuse your mind and make familiar things seem very strange and thats before you unpack the compass...

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Sep 3 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #11

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

QUOTE (Wyvern @ Sep 3 2005, 03:31 PM)
From memory I think its blackberries and similar fruits give a deep purply colour too.

Well, I know that they stain your hands a blood red color (which is fun around Halloween) but maybe it's different with fabric?

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 06:36 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!