Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Katrina, everyone clear?
artist.unknown
post Aug 31 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #1

sesquipedalian

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 915

I'm not sure who lives where, but I hope everyone here and their family and friends got clear of the storm. Are we certain everyone's OK? My prayers everyone down South. Keep safe.

For those who haven't seen as much coverage as we're getting on US news, Katrina devastated several southern cities and will probably rack up as the costliest natural disaster in our history. There is no running water or electricity and hundreds, possibly thousands of people are already known to be dead and tens of thousands more are stranded in the Superdome or on rooftops. The AP article ishere

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fluffy
post Sep 1 2005, 01:44 AM
Post #2

Haibane

Member No.: 731

Thank you very much for your concern. Well, I'm all right. I'm pretty lucky, too. If the storm had followed the course it looked like it was going to follow, I'd be out of a home right now. Fortunately for my family (please, anyone who got hit because of Katrina's change in course, forgive me), it veered to the east. We lost a small tree that was already dying from being hit by a car, and a lot of our shingles fell off. Nonetheless, no one and nothing was hurt beyond the point of minor annoyance. Also, all of my family, including the ones living in New Orleans, are all right. Thank you, again, for your concern.

--------------------
Odd Numbers = Raisins
Proudly e-married to Silver Star! This happened on January 11, 2004.
I'm DarkProtector's foob!

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Sep 1 2005, 07:16 AM
Post #3

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

This is a storm that is going to affect a lot of lives for a long time to come... all the death and destruction of the storm itself is being followed by deprivation and shortages... and not just in the hardest hit areas. Even while those of us not directly affected by the storm pray for -and prepare to assist- our brothers and sisters, our attempts are being hampered by Gas and material shortages in our own communities, caused by panic, hording and price gouging.... all of which, at the moment, are perfectly legal, because no state of emergency has been declared! Here, in South Carolina, the law is that complaints of Gouging can not even be investigated, unless a disaster has been declared, here. Meanwhile, news of refineries being down in other states has caused gas prices here to skyrocket...

And, I know, that Complaining about gas prices may seem petty, in the wake of this emergency, but those greater prices and shortages will only increase suffering in the storm wracked states, in the long run... While the rich get richer...

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Sep 1 2005, 07:24 AM
Post #4

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

QUOTE (Fluffy @ Aug 31 2005, 08:44 PM)
Thank you very much for your concern.  Well, I'm all right.  I'm pretty lucky, too.  If the storm had followed the course it looked like it was going to follow, I'd be out of a home right now.  Fortunately for my family (please, anyone who got hit because of Katrina's change in course, forgive me), it veered to the east.  We lost a small tree that was already dying from being hit by a car, and a lot of our shingles fell off.  Nonetheless, no one and nothing was hurt beyond the point of minor annoyance.  Also, all of my family, including the ones living in New Orleans, are all right.  Thank you, again, for your concern.

I'm glad to hear that you and yours are alright... I've been seeing some truly horrendous images coming out of that area. And it amazes me, once again, how something so bad can happen, so close by, without so much as a breeze, elsewhere...

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 1 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #5

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

'Glad you're okay Fluffy. Do you know if anyone else on here was in the area hit?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Sep 1 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #6

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

Some of my friends over on the west coast came over when the storm was coming. We're cool here on the east coast, though.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Fluffy
post Sep 1 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #7

Haibane

Member No.: 731

QUOTE (Mata @ Sep 1 2005, 07:59 AM)
'Glad you're okay Fluffy. Do you know if anyone else on here was in the area hit?

Well, if anyone remembers Beans, Godfather, and Nachodude (none of them stayed very long), they all live within a few blocks of me. They're all fine; they didn't even lose any shingles. Other than that, I don't know if anyone on the board lives in the affected area. If whoever reads this does, though, I wish you well (that's not to say that I don't wish you well if you weren't hit, but if you were, I wish you especially well).

--------------------
Odd Numbers = Raisins
Proudly e-married to Silver Star! This happened on January 11, 2004.
I'm DarkProtector's foob!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Sep 1 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #8

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

My friend Jax lives in Miami-Dade where Katrina hit first before it refuled in the Golf. His power was out for 4 or 5 days but he's alright. I suppose his house is fine too (I didnt ask) and his friends. It would be a rather sad bit of irony if he was killed by a hurricane named Katrina, seeing as my name is Katrina and I'm his EX girlfriend.... Heh unsure.gif

I'm glad to hear you're alright Fluffy ^^ Hope everyone else on here is doing alright

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Sep 2 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #9

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

First of all I just want to say how happy I am that Fluffy is okay...for the past few days I've been a nervous wreck...I can sleep easy now.

Second of all... it's kind of frightening to see all the damage. Yesterday a cable news channel showed footage of some kind of oil leak I guess, but it made it look like the floodwaters were on fire.

Third of all...I was thinking of starting some kind of charity business to raise money to donate to the victims. I'm considering selling cookies...

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 08:42 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!