Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gap Year
Daria
post Sep 4 2005, 08:08 PM
Post #1

Wait for the uprising

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,735

Wasn't sure if this came under Tips and Tricks, or daily life (please move it if it's not in the right place) but I need some help about my gap year.

First question- should I have one? My sister who had one seems to think so as it will broaden my mind and help me concentrate on work at Uni instead of just going "oo! Living on my own for the first time!"

Second question- where? Although I would like to change the world, or at least help it, I don't have the thousands of pounds needed to go help save turtles in Mexico etc. I was thinking of doing the whole Camp America thing, but wondered whether I could stand the "chirpy-ness" of summer camp. I was thinking that I would like to go to America as it is a beautiful place, just has a screwy government (wait a minute... It sounds like most countries...).

Any annecdotes/ help/ thought would be appreciated. I have another year of rather [insert expletive here] and oppresive 6th form to make up my mind in, but I would quite like something to work towards.
Oh, and I want to do a Marine Biology degree at uni, then go on to do a post grad/ doctorate (not exactly sure how these things go, but by the end I want to be a doctor...)

Perhaps I should even take out two years- one to earn money, the second to go and have fun...

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Sep 4 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #2

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

I'm taking a gap year in Tanzania. It'll cost me a load so I'm spending a few months looking for work and then only a measley 3 months out there (all I can afford). Meh, I should really apply for it soon.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Sep 5 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #3

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

Well, firstly, you don't need to have a gap year. You won't explode, or be unemployable, or dissolve if you don't. Most importantly thing is not to be railroaded into doing something that you don't want to do.

That said, if you want to do one, frickin' go for it! Have you looked into TEFL (teachin English as a foreign language)? Just an idea - I don't really know much about it. Look into VSO as well (Voluntary Service Abroad). Best bet is to go have a chat with your school's careers adviser - they might be able to put you in touch with some organisations that can help you to have a wicked ninja gap year.....

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Sep 5 2005, 10:02 AM
Post #4

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (Jonman @ Sep 5 2005, 10:46 AM)
Have you looked into TEFL (teachin English as a foreign language)?

As far as I know, most TEFL programs require at least a bachelors degree. At least the ones that are a year-long thing and not just a couple weeks that you don't get paid for.

I'm sure you could find some sort of volunteer program, though. Like Jonman said, ask your school's career advisor about it. I fully recommend spending some time living overseas if you can (and if you want to). Everyone I know who has done it has been incredibly happy with the experience (including me!).

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Sep 5 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #5

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

QUOTE (candice @ Sep 5 2005, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE (Jonman @ Sep 5 2005, 10:46 AM)
Have you looked into TEFL (teachin English as a foreign language)?

As far as I know, most TEFL programs require at least a bachelors degree. At least the ones that are a year-long thing and not just a couple weeks that you don't get paid for.

My bad. Thanks for the update - hadn't realised that. Even so, I know folk who spent their gap year teaching english to kids in Nepal. It's not TEFL, but it's a similar program, designed around gap years. Have no idea what it's called, mind.

QUOTE (candice @ Sep 5 2005, 11:02 AM)
I fully recommend spending some time living overseas if you can (and if you want to).  Everyone I know who has done it has been incredibly happy with the experience (including me!).

And me. Huge reccomendations. Living in another culture really opens your eyes to the things about your own that you normally take for granted.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Sep 5 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #6

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

Oooh! Oooh! Camp America!

I worked at Johnsonburg Camp this summer with Camp America people, and it was loads of fun. They're all planning to come back next summer too. The people who work at camps are generally really nice because, heck, greedy bastages aren't the type to spend three months in the woods working with kids for less than minimum wage. Several of the guys were doing their gap year; one had come here straight from something in Africa. I can definately recommend it. If you'd like I might be able to put you in touch with some alums. It's a great way to experience the people and culture while not losing money in the process.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Sep 5 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #7

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

If you go with a company then you don't need a bacholers degree, if so I'm going to waste a few months.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 5 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #8

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

I didn't take a gap year partly because I don't know what I'd do with myself, but mainly because the Government is changing the laws on how much universities can charge, and if I take a gap year I'll come under the new fees and end up having to pay about 9,000 more, which is no small beans.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 5 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #9

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

With me, the financial side of university, and the increase in uni fees shouldn't be too much of a problem because of the grants I can get because of my mother being a "single working mother".
The whole Camp America thing, it was just a passing idea...
But with the whole gap thing, it doesn't have to be a year, and I don't necissarily (sp?) want to go where everyone else goes. Ie Australia and Thailand biggrin.gif

I don't know! AHHH! It's really annoying me how things can't just be as simple and well planned as they sometimes are in my head. Like me getting fantabulous grades and just going somewhere at the click of my fingers, and me actually being able to click my fingers...

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 10:42 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!