Forum Rules 
> are you a thinker or a feeler?
Witless
post Sep 8 2005, 10:09 AM
Post #1

happy.. sad.. happy

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,536

Basically, do you think with your heart or your head?

Everyone does both, but we all tend to value the advice from one part of ourself over the other. Some people find it hard to do this. here's some help

Thinkers
Make desicions based on impersonal values
Would organise 10 most phoned friends alphabetically
Distrustful of using their feeling judgement, that can be overly biased.
Tend to critisise others more than compliment
"Truth more important than tact"

typical example:
Mr Spock from star trek deciding that while stranded on a planet, burying the dead would waste time and energy better used to staying alive. (a valid and rational point).

Feelers
Make descions based on personal values
Would organise 10 most phoned friends based on how much they value each friend
Distrustful of using a logical judgement that can often ignore it's real effect on people in favour of objectivity.
Tend to compliment rather than critisise
"Tact more important than truth"

typical example:
Mr McCoy on that same episode as above pointed out that if they do not bury the dead, it will effect the morale of the survivors. (a valid and again rational point).

I think the thing to note is that both feelers and thinkers seem rational (as I see it). It's just feelers tend to base their desicions on personal values, like morals and sentiment. Thinkers use impersonal values like Justice, and objective truth.
Since both are rational ways of looking at the world they can often come to the same conclusions in many situations.

Key point however is that the very often don't. Many many big opposing debates throughout time has been a thinker vs a feeler. Note above that Both are rational. This isn't a case of rational hitlers vs emotional hippies. Very often you can use a feeling based judgement without feeling particularly emotional at all. Vice versa, a thinker can feel very passionate about his objective opinions.
This is about values, vs objective truth. We use both, but what do we trust when they conflict?

I have a theory on the distrust between the two...
I'm a thinker basically.. I have a feeling judgement I just don't use it much. As I've grown up being like this.. my feeling side hasn't really developed beyond what it was when I was much younger. As a result when I try and use my feeling judgement, it's very crap (for want of a better word). I come up with very passionate (almost childlike) desicions that seem based on nothing. Common things my feeling side comes up with are things like "I want this to be true so I'll believe it's true regardless of circumstance".

Problem is, I am tempted to believe anyone that uses feeling as their primary way of judging things are all living the world as immaturally as my feeling side does stuff. However.. I like studying people and observing and analysing.
I think I was rather wrong. Just as my thinking side's developed out pretty well because I use it a lot. Other's went down the other road. When they use feeling judgement they wield it like sword. Just as I can analyse a situation pretty fast. They can observe a situation like a conversation, and instantly gauge what's important. They seem far far keener at understand what matters to who and what, and adjusting themselves to that, than I could ever hope to be.
The fact is, when a feeler uses feeling, it is as reliable to them as when a thinker uses their thinking. But thinkers using feeling just aren't very good at it, and vice versa.

Wow... I ramble...

ok, so you guys.. feelers or thinkers?

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Yannick
post May 24 2010, 01:53 AM
Post #2

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 12,759

I've been thinking about this for a while, and have come to the conclusion that it's complicated. >_>

I feel in the sense that I value myself above everything (aside from possibly future children?), so every decision I make will be based on personal values. However, this can be classified as thinking, because as an animal, it makes sense to strive to preserve oneself and aim for happiness. Which is feeling, because I'd rather feel happy than make the right choice. However, I would think about things first before instinctively jumping into what makes me happy. ..Thinker by nature, feeler by choiceish? I don't know.. =/ To me, a lot of the time it seems like I'll spend forever overanalyzing a situation, but at the same time, only because I feel so strongly for it. Other times, I'm completely indifferent and can't think because I don't care enough. It's almost as if my thinking and feeling rely on each other, and without them, I can't function. My "knee jerk" reaction doesn't go either way, I think I do them both simultaneously, and don't act until I've reached some sort of consensus between the two.

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldnít be here if stars hadnít exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - werenít created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Witless   are you a thinker or a feeler?   Sep 8 2005, 10:09 AM
- - funky fairy   I am definitely a feeler. I would never hurt some...   Sep 8 2005, 10:38 AM
- - depressed lonely crazy person   Most of the time and in the short term I'm a t...   Sep 8 2005, 11:22 AM
- - crazymat   I dont know, I could be either.. but my msn buddy ...   Sep 8 2005, 02:27 PM
- - Calantyr   I would say that I am equally split between the tw...   Sep 8 2005, 04:42 PM
- - {Gothic Angel}   It takes me ages to mae a decision, which is usual...   Sep 8 2005, 04:45 PM
- - Witless   Well.. if you believe what I believe. feeling IS r...   Sep 8 2005, 04:53 PM
- - IrishGuy   According to Jung, I'm a feeler. INFP.   Sep 9 2005, 04:16 PM
- - Daria   I am a feeler. And then over analyse things.   Sep 10 2005, 01:04 PM
- - Jimmy-von-Lucidious   I'm a thinker and overly so at that, sometimes...   Sep 11 2005, 09:38 AM
- - Witless   QUOTE I'm a thinker and overly so at that, som...   Sep 11 2005, 09:48 AM
- - Marriegold   I am a feeler and maybe rely on my feelings too mu...   Sep 13 2005, 10:46 AM
- - Matthew   I've been described as a robot! I'd l...   Sep 13 2005, 11:06 AM
|- - Jonman   QUOTE (Matthew @ Sep 13 2005, 12:06 PM)I...   Sep 13 2005, 11:24 AM
- - Matthew   * Looks around tearfully as his dreams of being a ...   Sep 13 2005, 11:41 AM
|- - Jonman   QUOTE (Matthew @ Sep 13 2005, 12:41 PM)* Look...   Sep 13 2005, 12:43 PM
|- - little_bear   QUOTE (Jonman @ Sep 13 2005, 01:43 PM)QUOTE (...   Sep 14 2005, 01:59 PM
- - pgrmdave   I'm primarily a thinker, but I've spent a ...   Sep 13 2005, 03:10 PM
- - Sir_Psycho_Sexy   Now this makes me wonder, is the saying "Life...   Sep 14 2005, 09:13 PM
- - Jimmy-von-Lucidious   Hmmm well being a thinker I find much in the world...   Sep 16 2005, 03:18 AM
- - uninspired pizza guy   Yeah i agree with that entirely. I know that I am ...   Sep 16 2005, 03:43 AM
- - syuu   I'm pretty sure I started out as a feeler, but...   May 21 2010, 05:15 AM
- - CarefulMarshmallowHiddenDragon   Holy necroposting batman! I think both catego...   May 21 2010, 07:48 AM
- - syuu   heartless idiot would be a thinker, I'm assumi...   May 21 2010, 08:20 AM
- - Mata   I couldn't draw a line in the sand between the...   May 21 2010, 12:47 PM
- - EvilSpoon   That's a hard thing to answer about oneself......   May 21 2010, 04:10 PM
- - syuu   Yes, we all know that everyone is everything and w...   May 24 2010, 01:06 AM
- - Witless   Ok, will post in my own topic again. This was nev...   May 24 2010, 01:23 AM
- - Yannick   I've been thinking about this for a while, and...   May 24 2010, 01:53 AM
- - Daria   I'm a feeler. I'm also a groper.   May 25 2010, 12:11 PM
- - EvilSpoon   QUOTE (Daria @ May 25 2010, 08:11 AM) I...   May 25 2010, 12:38 PM
- - I_am_the_best   I'm a thinker when giving other people advice,...   May 25 2010, 12:49 PM
- - Lurker in the Dark   Thinker to the point of coming across as a heartle...   May 26 2010, 09:05 PM
- - winli   I dont know, I could be either.. ______...   Jun 23 2010, 08:10 AM
- - craziness   I'm definitely more of a feeler but I try to b...   Jun 25 2010, 05:17 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 01:39 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!