IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LGG animation style, 2D, 3d, or blend?
Jatopian
post Sep 26 2005, 04:01 AM
Post #1

Only posts when he's something to say.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,933

Mata: I distinctly recall you saying after making 'First Date' that you were through with 3D. Yet, you used it again. Now you say that you will return to 2D. I am skeptical that you will, but here is something to think on:
Please do not completely. I understand the length, and I sympathize, but it does not all have to be like the first few... surely you could at least have Sarah walk in a direction other than directly across the screen or something... and the 3D is quite stunning visually. Most people I have tried to convert have liked the 3D and found the others "primitive", "amateur", "basic", and/or "not so engaging and complex as Magical Trevor [a catchy weebls-stuff toon]".
So, I propose a blend. Keep it when it has high visual yield (a la the trans-city jump in 'First Date'), scrimp where it does not, and above all keep it smooth and consistent.
Of course, you are the Mata. I will not presume to order you, and these should be taken as well-meant strong suggestions.

Also, is it just me, or is Sarah getting shorter while her wings enlarge?

--------------------
The fansite quiz says I am Mr. Snaffleburger. The fansite quiz is easily manipulated.
"How fine you look when dressed in rage. Your enemies are fortunate that your condition is not permanent. And you're lucky too; red eyes suit so few." -Cheshire Cat, American Mcgee's Alice
"Didn't anyone tell them that it's in the darkness that you see the stars?" -Sarah, "Little Goth Girl: Open Mike Night"
QUOTE(Witless @ Oct 3 2005, 02:16 AM)
My advice, stick to aliens.. they have appendages of all shapes and sizes! Something there for everyone!
[right][snapback]315520[/snapback][/right]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 26 2005, 12:06 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I will be using 3D occasionally, but usally as special effects. The First Date episode was completely in 3D and it just took way too long to make, although the end result did look nice.

Considering that the first Little Goth Girl episode was made after I'd only been using Flash for about a year I think that it is very fair to describe the animation as amateur or basic. Bear in mind that Magical Trevor was made after at least four year's experience, possibly more like five or six. You wouldn't expect people to pick up a pencil and suddenly be a master, so why would people expect the same from an animator?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Jatopian
post Sep 26 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Mata @ Sep 26 2005, 07:06 AM)
Considering that the first Little Goth Girl episode was made after I'd only been using Flash for about a year I think that it is very fair to describe the animation as amateur or basic. Bear in mind that Magical Trevor was made after at least four year's experience, possibly more like five or six. You wouldn't expect people to pick up a pencil and suddenly be a master, so why would people expect the same from an animator?
All of which I tell people who say these to me. Most teens, oddly, value the incredible innovation of a Flash series with a plot over the early graphical [insert something politically correct here], while most adults think that basic animation means simple laziness. I would expect the other way around, but then I expect a great deal of sanity from humanity and often am disappointed...

--------------------
The fansite quiz says I am Mr. Snaffleburger. The fansite quiz is easily manipulated.
"How fine you look when dressed in rage. Your enemies are fortunate that your condition is not permanent. And you're lucky too; red eyes suit so few." -Cheshire Cat, American Mcgee's Alice
"Didn't anyone tell them that it's in the darkness that you see the stars?" -Sarah, "Little Goth Girl: Open Mike Night"
My advice, stick to aliens.. they have appendages of all shapes and sizes! Something there for everyone!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 27 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #4

While I think you might be overstating things to describe a plot as an incredible innovation, your support is kindly received!

Yes, that is odd. I've always been slightly surprised by the way that the early LGG episodes continue to be so popular in terms of hits considering their lack of technical finesse. Maybe once I've finished my PhD I'll go back and polish them up... But don't worry, I'll leave the originals online too!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Sep 27 2005, 03:04 AM
Post #5

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

Touching them up might be fun, but the original quick wing morph is classic. I'd love to see a bit more detail on the early counselor. I like the old ones overall, and some of them are funnier because of the primitive style. the goth bunnies aren't incredibly detailed, but they still make me laugh every time I see that animation.
"That wasn't there a moment ago..."

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Jatopian
post Sep 27 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Mata @ Sep 26 2005, 07:24 PM)
While I think you might be overstating things to describe a plot as an incredible innovation, your support is kindly received!

Yes, that is odd. I've always been slightly surprised by the way that the early LGG episodes continue to be so popular in terms of hits considering their lack of technical finesse.
No, I am very careful of my speech; overstatements are rare from me.
I have been to many major Flash sites, and while I have seen consistent series (sharing characters, a theme, etc.), and have seen great plots, I have never seen a long series with an engaging and overarching storyline. One would expect someone to have done it sooner, but apparently Flash is culturally too much of a hobbyist thing (think short loops and animutation) for that sort of masterwork to go into it.
If you have found another example of this, though, by all means tell me! In this I would love to be wrong...

--------------------

+Quote Post
MrRandomQuotes
post Oct 6 2005, 07:31 AM
Post #7

Fear me randomness

Member No.: 2,047

I have to agree with Jatopian that, whilst many flash shows/animations/cartoons (delete as aplicable) have good graphics, there are remarkable few that are developed into full series. If you take a spin round somewhere like AlbinoBlackSheep or NewGrounds there are many one-offs. Yet you seem to far prefer storylines and continuity. The only other example of this that springs to mind is Weebl and bob, although this doesnt display the same desire for technicallity that your animations do.

Anyway, enough complimenting you. Now hurry up and finish your PhD so there can be more Mr Snaffelburger!!

--------------------
“Come to the edge.”
“We can't. We're afraid.”
“Come to the edge.”
“We can't. We will fall!”
“Come to the edge.”
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

Remember, be yourself. Unless you suck.

Imitation is the highest form of praise.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 6 2005, 01:45 PM
Post #8

Funnily enough, I'm taking a break for a couple of days from my thesis to work on a new Mr Snaffleburger. Goodness knows how I'm going to find the time to make my halloween animation though.

Personally I really like the Weebl series. I might not always find it particularly funny (but many people would say exactly the same thing about my animations, so that's just a personal taste issue, and no reflection on the writing) but Jonti does experiment with new visual ideas and Flash tricks more than many animators, so I have a lot of respect for him in that regard.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Oct 10 2005, 10:33 AM
Post #9

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

I saw 'weebles' and need to add spam:

After doing out weekly leg workout one day my legs were perticuarly jello-y feeling and I exclaimed to my dad who wanted me to do the last set "I'm not a weebl! I fall when I wobble!"

/spam

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 10:44 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!