Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Make up a monster
Witless
post Oct 10 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #1

happy.. sad.. happy

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,536

So I was on a long train journey today, reading a book called 'Evolution' by Stephen Baxter. It's basically an account of the history of earth from way back in dinosaur times, to a bit into the future from the perspective of various inhabitants.
It's about 50% based on researched evidence, and 50% imagination and creativity.

The parts I like are the made up part, where he makes up dinosaurs, and/or creatures of the past that could have existed. Like the air whale that floats high above the clouds gliding for 99% of it's life feeding on the floating debris of pollen and insects. He goes into great detail talking about how it survives and is made it. It's an inspiring read.. well it was for me. Enough to inspire me to create some artwork based on it.

Anyways.. since then I have been playing a game in my head where I make up a creature, and real think through when it could have existed, what it fed on, how it survived. Whether it bred often like rabbits, or rarely like the great reef turtles and all other details. It's quite fun I think.... bit childish, but who cares?

So basically lets just for fun start making up creatures.. they can exist in any time period (past or future), they can be mundane and down to earth, or really out there.. basically just have fun..

I'll start!

Giant doom sponge

The giant doom sponge can normally be found in tropical waters around the carribean islands. It has been the blame of many a sea monster story due to the often rather swift nature of it's attacks.
The sponge isn't a fussy eater, it is normally found firmly attached to the sea bed looking as innocent as a coral, that is until a large fish investigates too closely. Anything touching the sponge is instantly paralysed with jellyfish like barbs and inenveloped. Even whales are considered prey to the giant sponges insatiable appetite.
Tales from various pirates tell of ships being dragged down by the anchor after dropping anchor in tropical climates, this could well be signs of doom sponge acitivities!

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Oct 11 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #2

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Five words: Giant pink flying tropical penguins.

'Nuff said.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
arachnidoc17
post Oct 11 2005, 01:30 AM
Post #3

Entomophobic

Member No.: 1,231

The Animated Plague

These horrific little monsters got their name from the way they feast upon their victims. To better understand their methods of eating, we must first be able to visiualise them.

The Animated Plague are very tiny creatures- small enough to fit through the tiniest capillaries in an animal's bloodstream- and they travel in huge, agent-based swarms, sometimes thousands at a time. They are dark red in color, so they resemble a glob of floating blood when in flight.

The Animated Plague enters the body of an animal through the nostrils or mouth and travel down into the trachea. From there, they make their way into the bloodstream. They attatch themselves to the walls of the arteries, and tear them apart. Of course, this causes massive internal bleeding spots, which resemble the "buboles" of the Black Plague.

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 06:16 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!