IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A very dodgy employer., UK employment law.
Mr Fuzzy
post Nov 10 2005, 05:45 AM
Post #1

This space intentionally left blank

Group: Admin
Member No.: 203

For those who don't know, my employment is of the half-arsed nature due to my hatred of full time work. Recently (for the second time) the newsagent in which I casionally lurk has changed hands. The new owners, not to put too fine a point on it, seem to be taking the piss.

Since they have come on the scene I have been subject to mysteriously expanding hours - on Monday a 10:00 to 5:00 at the latest shift becoming 10:00 to 20:30 with no breaks - calls to come in for the morning after 23:00, and payment of 30p per hour under minimum wage on a cash in hand basis. Now, as a more than commonly expectedly together chap with an inherent governmental distrust, at the age of 18 I contracted out of the state pension so as to have a portion of my taxes payed to a private pension instead of relying on a state pension which is unlikely to really exist by the time I could claim it. As a result I like to keep at least a smidgen of National Insurance being paid in the hopes of a few groats in my senescence. Obviously this is not gong to be happening as things stand. Due to my curmudgeonly nature and my few morals being very firmly set this is not acceptable to me, and I have come to the decision that I will simply walk out, particularly because they chose to insult my intelligence by lying to me about how sly payments would cost them more than paying me a legitimate wage with the concommittant NI and income tax payments would, and that I'm lucky to be getting 4.75 an hour when I should actually get an absolute minimum of 5.05 by law.

My question is how best I should go about making sure I get paid the money currently owed to me and, more importantly, how to absolutely crucify them for stealing from me, impoverishing me in my old age, endangering my health with illegal working hours, and generally pissing me right off. Obviously I shall be calling in every legal weapon in my armoury, but any suggestions would be most helpful.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
oobunnie
post Nov 10 2005, 06:17 AM
Post #2

''Am'nt I the cutest ickle bunny?'' asmodeus

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 64

I would contact who ever the equivalent of our labor board is in Britain. Generally they make it their business to harass employers that aren't doing things properly. They should also be able to force these people to give you outstanding pay (including overtime if your hours fit the bill). I dont think theres much you can do about the pension bit, but it does seem a bit shady that they didn't give you the choice on enrolling or not. And hopefully to give these unscrupulous folks a hefty fine.

I would look it up and try to give you contact info. but all I seem to be able to find is the labor board for British Columbia.

(Edit) Wait I know! Call you local unemployement office and ask them for the contact numbers. (/edit)

--------------------
Heaven has a road, but no one travels it; Hell has no gate but men will dig to get there. ~Chinese Proverb
I am the Ickle Mascot of Ish
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 10 2005, 04:13 PM
Post #3

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Three words: Citizens Advice Bureau

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 10 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #4

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Citizen's Advice have always been very helpful to me when I've needed that kind of thing. Our local one is here:

http://www.winchestercab.org.uk/

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Nov 10 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #5

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

For reporting on the Minimum wage

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/nmw_help.htm

You also need to call HMRC (HM Revenue and Customs) office that deals with that employer and report them tax evasion. This will seriously screw them.

There is a mediator that will take on your case for free to get you the money owed back. But i forget who, i will edit this once i remeber.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 03:53 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!