Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Final Design Decision help
LoLo
post Nov 21 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #1

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

Please keep in mind that these are not the final product, and that I do need to clean them up on my computer, but you'll get the basic concept of the design. The outline of this design was to find 4 photographs that represented 1 of 7 different gestalt design principles and then use circles to represent that principle in an abstract manner based off of the photograph. Things to avoid were making the abstract design actually look like the photo itself, and having the design itself not fit the principle that it was meant to show. Now the design itself didn't have to follow the picture exactly either, just be based off it and if you looked at it and then design you could tell that the idea came from it, so angles may differ ect.

First is closure : This principle is pretty much a statement that we can finish off a picture in our mind even if we cannot see all of the information.

Here's the photo I chose :

Here are the resulting top 3 designs to come from that photo :

This next one is a concept called continuance : Basically all this is that there is a continuance line or curve or something that leads you around a page or design.

The photo :

and the resulting designs :

Next is equilibrium : This one is our drive to make things feel balanced and for this case in particular symmetrical.

Photo :

Design :

The last concept I went with was similarity : This is basically just saying that when we look at something with similar objects we group them together.

Photo :

Design :

The issue I'm having is that I either like them all or I like 2 the same so I'm having trouble choosing which one is the best design and what should be the final project for my portfolio. Any help, suggestions, opinions would be greatly appreaciated. Oh and it's not just one design, but one design from each concept.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Nov 21 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #2

Browncoat

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,958

Huh. Some of the photos only displayed when I opened the reply window. Does anyone else have that problem, or is it just my comp being evil again?
Not quite sure that I understand closure, but I like the first one best.
I think the first one is most interesting for continuance as well.
The second one for equilibrium appeals to me the most. The first seems too blunt and the third seems really similar to the photo.
The third for similarity seems most interesting and complex.
Feel free to correct me if I'm insane (or explain continuance tongue.gif ,) as I know absolutely nothing about the principles of visual art. All the pictures were fun to see.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 21 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #3

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Well, not all the images seem to have worked... I'm not sure why.

I can only see the first photograph and the three images below it. Of those images I'm torn between the second and the third. I think I like the second because of the large circle representing the shadow and distant eye: the eye that is further away being converted into a big circle compared to the one that is close creates an interesting visual dynamic.

I like a very specific part of the third one: the top three circles. The way that they suggest the gradient of shade on the hat is very pleasing to look at.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Nov 22 2005, 02:08 PM
Post #4

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

They all worked for me on all my different computers so I'm not sure what's up. Perhaps a refresh?

Thanks for your opinions and advice I really do appreciate it. Between this, the post I made on my journal, and the critique we had in class yesterday, I've got my final selections.

For closure I'm going for the second one only I have to tweek it just a bit because apparently without the photo there to make someone go "Oh ok" the idea of closure doesn't work as well.

For continuance it's the first design. For equilibrium it's the third and for similarity it's the 2nd.

It came and went so quickly and is due tomorrow so I just have to digitize it and print those puppies out when I get home from work today.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Apollyon
post Nov 25 2005, 09:00 PM
Post #5

Super Cool

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,734

On the first photo, I have to say I like the first one, because the dots seem to be in the right proportion to each other.

In the second group, I like the second one, and I think it really does seem to represent the picture. Not quite sure why...

In the third group I like number three, because the differing sizes of the dots makes the symmetry more... symmetrical.

And in the last one, I like the first and second ones because they show the picture's shape without being too concrete.

I really think the whole concept of this is pretty, cool, and on a lot of them I had trouble picking between the three. Oh, and I had to refresh the page a few times before I could see all of them.

Edit: Ah! You already picked! Well, those are my opinions anyway.

--------------------
Subliminal
LIMINAL!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 08:30 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!