Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Homework Help, Any questions?
Kitty
post Jan 4 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #1

Professionally Unprofessional

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 580

I dont think this has been done before, but I think its probably a good idea. I have an idea that alot of people out there discover that they really dont know how to do a certain thing in math, or need help in some other odd subject or another. So!

I figured people could post things they're having problems with homework wise here and hopefully someone can help them out!

I'll start with a generic kind of question.
I have a class where basically we go to the class, the teacher hands out a TON of papers, tells us to go home and read the chapter, do all the worksheets, she'll collect them _eventually_ and we have tests and quizzes on the chapter. We go through about a 30-40 page chapter every week or so. I've been struggling in this class all year and have never really worked out a way to read the chapter and do all the work without being bored to a point of near death. Another problem is I get antsy and need to move around and (I probably have ADD) keep changing what I'm doing.

I was wondering if any of you have found a solution to this. People have told me to set a specific time to sit down and do work, when no one's around to bug me or anything, but everyday in my house is completely different and I cant count on having any certain amount of time where I can sit and do my homework peacefully. Blargh! I really dont have any other place to go either. Suggestions?

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Jan 4 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #2

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

Hmm, I know all too well how hard it is, but there really is no substitute for sitting down and just slogging through the material. Just find yourself a quiet spot and work through it, no matter how boring it is. Try and alieviate the boredom by making your work/revision active.

Um... yeah, I don't have any other advice.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 4 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #3

Candbrush Threepwood

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 345

One thing I've found that helps me concentrate is instead of just reading the chapter, also take notes at the same time. If I just read things which don't interest me, my mind wanders and it takes twice as long. But if I'm actually doing something like writing down an outline of what I'm reading at the same time, it helps a lot. It's also a good study aide for right before the test, because it's quicker to look through and review your notes rather than go through the entire chapter, trying to find all of the important stuff.

As for doing the worksheets...when you sit down, look at how many problems you have. Set a specific goal...say the problem that is 1/3 or 1/4 of the way through. When you have reached that problem, then reward yourself with a 5 or 10 minute break to walk around, get a snack, whatever. Then when you come back, set another goal and repeat. You can do the same thing with reading or outlining the chapters...like say you're going to reach a certain page and then you'll take a short break. It also helps if you have someone to help you enforce the length of the breaks at first, like a sibling or a parent.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 12:37 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!