Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Locks Of Love
Daria
post Jan 11 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #1

Wait for the uprising

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,735

I have a friend who is doing a very wonderful thing.
She is donating her hair, and not only that- she is also raising money for this charity-
I'll let her tell you about it-
Dear everyone,

For those of you that may suspect otherwise... I have hair. Lots of hair, in
fact. It nearly reaches my bum.

Exibit 1 - Angelina's Hair.

On Tuesday, I'm getting aforementioned hair cut off. Why? It's going to be donated to Locks of Love, a charity designed to help an underpriviledged child in America or Canada who's going through any illness that causes long term or permenant baldness. I'm donating approximately 16 inches of hair to the cause (about 40cm).

Anyway. I would rather like to send, along with a big handful of Angelina!hair, a nice wee cheque to help them pay for the production of the wig. If you would like to send a donation, please, please message Becky (aka Daria) or post here or contact me in some shape or form (I hear messenger pidgeons are turning a bit vogue these days...)

I promise, 100% of what you send me is going to them; I'm paying to get my hair cut off, for my hair to get sent and will pay to convert any money into dollars.

Locks of Love has helped thousands of children suffering to regain a sense of normality and confidence in their appearance, enabling them to start to overcome their condition - if you can make a donation, no matter how small, please do.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

<3
Angelina

I thought a few of you would be interested in this, and she is trying to raise as much money for this as possible. Every little helps smile.gif
The website is http://www.locksoflove.org.
Any other questions and I'll forward them on to her- she's only doing this through me as she doesn't frequent these boards and thought I would be more trusted than a newbie biggrin.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 11 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #2

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

My sister donated her hair (which was about the same length as your friend's) a few years back. Hair salons in my town always ask people who have really long hair and come in to get it cut if they want to donate it...and they have an annual awareness day when they offer free haircuts to people who come in to donate. They said they'd get 3 wigs out of my sister's hair since it was so long and thick (her hair is a lot like mine, minus the curls). So since there's 16 inches of it...it should help more than just one child as far as a wig goes smile.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jan 11 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #3

Wait for the uprising

Cheers Candice smile.gif I have forwarded that to her.

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Jan 11 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #4

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

Good for your friend! I'll probably do that once I get a few more inches grown out, and my little sister did it last year. My hair has about grown to my waist, but I want to be able to donate a lot (16 inches or so) without having really short hair afterwards.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jan 15 2006, 10:29 AM
Post #5

My direction

Member No.: 495

Eee, I wish I'd known about this when I had my hair cut. I took about 6-8 inches off of it, and it's pretty thick sad.gif

Maybe I should grow it back before I get it cut again, seeing as I'm in no position to be making financial donations.

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 15 2006, 11:19 AM
Post #6

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Wow, that's a really kind thing of your friend to be doing. I'm sure any child would be thrilled to have hair like hers! And 16 inches! Phwoar, I haven't even got 16 inches on my head yet, so long...

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 15 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #7

Candbrush Threepwood

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jan 15 2006, 02:29 AM)
Eee, I wish I'd known about this when I had my hair cut. I took about 6-8 inches off of it, and it's pretty thick sad.gif

The minimum donation is 10 inches. Anything under that gets sold to offset the cost of production. Or hair that is unsuitable for children (ie: gray or blue or something).

--------------------

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jan 15 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #8

My direction

Member No.: 495

I'll make my own wig for them! biggrin.gif

Meh, I could grow it longer. It grows down to my waist if I let it.

QUOTE (candice @ Jan 15 2006, 06:20 PM)
Anything under that gets sold to offset the cost of production.

Would that not be also helpful? And who on earth do they sell it to? blink.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jan 15 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #9

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

QUOTE (candice @ Jan 15 2006, 02:20 PM)
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jan 15 2006, 02:29 AM)

The minimum donation is 10 inches. Anything under that gets sold to offset the cost of production. Or hair that is unsuitable for children (ie: gray or blue or something).

My mum always told me that if you've had your hair dyed before they automatically strip out all the color and dye it all one even color to make a wig with. She could be wrong though.

I had really long hair when I was little, and decided to cut it all off once (I have no idea why, but we did) And I ended up with about 10 or 11 inches of hair, which I kept for a while and eventually my mom told me I could donate it for little kids with no hair, so I donated it tongue.gif

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jan 15 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #10

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Around my first year of high school I chopped all my hair off into a one-inch pixie with every intention of donating it. When it came out, though, twas only 8 inches, meaning that I have had a ponytail of gorgeous brown hair in my lower-left desk drawer for some time now.

I named it.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 15 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #11

Candbrush Threepwood

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jan 15 2006, 11:10 AM)
Would that not be also helpful? And who on earth do they sell it to? blink.gif

It would, but not as helpful as growing your hair the extra 4-6 inches so they can actually use it. Especially not when you factor in the cost of shipping it internationally...may as well make a monetary donation for that.

And I presume they sell it to places like the ones that make cosmetics brushes with real hair.

The thing about the gray hair is specifically on their site. Your hair can be dyed a natural color, but it can't be chemically damaged or bleached.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jan 17 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #12

Wait for the uprising

She had it all cut off today, and has about 184 pledged to it!

I will post pictures when she gets them all loaded up.

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 12:30 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!