IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Flatmate, It's a bit of a story...
Righteous
post Mar 18 2006, 01:55 AM
Post #1

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

"Flatmate" for me refers to a friend that is staying at my house for an indefinate period of time (this does not include mine or my brother's freeloading friends). This has has happened twice before.

Well, my friend PJ had been having problems at home for a long time. A few nights ago, he, another friend of ours and I were hanging out at my house and he got a call from his folks. Apparently, they put his PA system in the driveway, not caring what happens to it. We went over to pick it up and had a bit of a confrontation with his parents (lemme put it this way: the only reason it ended up the way it is, is because I didn't want to get arrested again). Long story short: He no longer has a home there and will have a restraining order put against him.

Here's the real kicker: PJ's sixteen-years-old.

I told him he could keep his drum kit and some other stuff at my pad. He thanked me profusely. I also told him that if he needed to crash for a few nights, it was cool. So then two nights ago, he gives me a call telling me that he was at the gas station near my house. We met up, came back and I told him he could stay for a few nights, as I wasn't sure how my folks liked the idea of having a strange gutter punk crashing on their sons' couch (our rooms lead to the den, which is separated from the rest of the house). I told my folks of the situation and they were cool about it, as they had met PJ before. I went to work the next day and came home to find out that PJ was officially my new roommate and my dad set him up with a job.

Now, some of you may be thinking, "Gee, Ri. This really isn't your problem. Why are you dealing with it like this?" Well, no. It isn't my problem; it's PJ's and I never said it was mine. However, I will say that I am helping him at a bit than what is expected. I'm a Christian and one of my favorite teachings regards our generosity and I believe in it whole-heartedly. PJ's a good kid and appreciates what we've given him and I feel really good about it.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Mar 18 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #2

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

What parent puts a restraining order on their kid?!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Mar 18 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #3

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

Good for you, Ri! smile.gif PJ's parents sound like absolutely useless scum, and he should have a better life in general now that he has a job and a place to stay. He sounds like a good kid, and I think that the help you're giving him will be great.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 19 2006, 02:26 AM
Post #4

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

That's really nice of your parents to let him stick around and fix him up with a job. Poor kid...only 16. That kind of stuff always breaks my heart.

But you do know you don't live in a flat, right? tongue.gif (I'm kidding, you can call him whatever you want)

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Mar 19 2006, 03:56 AM
Post #5

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

Ri, I must say, you have to be one of the most wholeheartedly nice people I have EVER met. You're lucky to have parents that will let your friend stay at their house, I know my parents wouldnt do that.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 19 2006, 09:41 AM
Post #6

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

That's a really nice thing to do Ri.

I don't know about the US, but in the UK a sixteen year old would be given housing in a flash by the government in that situation. I know because I once dated a girl who had been in a similar sort of situation. It might be worth talking to the local authorities about housing options. You've given him a short-term option but he can't sleep on a sofa forever!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 19 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #7

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (Mata @ Mar 19 2006, 01:41 AM)
I don't know about the US, but in the UK a sixteen year old would be given housing in a flash by the government in that situation.

He'd be put in foster care, I'm sure, since he's under 18. His other option would be to go through the emancipation process, then he could live on his own. I have absolutely no idea exactly what that entails, but I think there's a court hearing involved and he'd have to prove he was capable of living on his own. He'd be given housing, sure, but it'd be with some adults he didn't know.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Mar 19 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #8

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

QUOTE (candice @ Mar 18 2006, 09:26 PM)
That's really nice of your parents to let him stick around and fix him up with a job.

We've done it before with our "brother" Tim and our boy CJ.

But you do know you don't live in a flat, right? tongue.gif  (I'm kidding, you can call him whatever you want)

Well, I don't like the term "roommate" because I don't share a room and my brother and I have our own livingroom, our own bedrooms, our own bathroom and our own (small-ass) refridgerator and we're separated from the rest of the house. It's the closest to an apartment I've had since I lived with my sister in the city. This is what enables my friends to crash over all the time and why I believe God allowed us to buy this place for coins on the dollar. I mean, I'm sure that even if we lived at our old house where my brother and I shared a small-ass room, we'd still be able to put our boys up, but this makes things easier.

What he wants is to get emancipated, which around here, you can get at sixteen. He would then need to prove that he can function properly on his own and provide paystubs from a legitimate job (the job he and I have won't be legitimate until he's eighteen; it's construction). His parents are willing to sign over custody, so I don't think they're adverse to the idea of emancipating him.

If emancipated, he's thinking of getting a place with another friend of ours. He told me that if that's the case, I could room with them, but I've already gotten another offer, but that's onother story. blink.gif

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Mar 21 2006, 01:21 AM
Post #9

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

That really sucks, tell him I'm sorry. But I'm really proud of you for helping him out. You are really a great person.

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 12:17 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!