Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Matazone Sings, or trombones or flutes or pianos
elphaba2
post Jul 16 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #1

Lord of the Keys

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,329

Matazone! Don't cover it up anymore! I know you are melody-loving mic-hogs. This is a place to share your music, if you have any of it recorded. It's also a place for me to whore myself (too lazy to dig up snugglebum's harem, you see.)

Matazone Sings. Because the Today I'm Wearing thread just wasn't enough.

But for real, everyone, I would love to hear what music other people play. Pimpled teenage boys of Matazone! Dig out your computer mics and share your fuzzily recorded guitar genius! Nervous songstrii (songstresses, songsters) of Matazone! Hum with embarassment into your computer and then be astonished at your capabilities! And as for you Matazone virtuousos, well, you already know that you are great. But share anyway!

As a pimpled nervous song-type myself, I am hoping this does not die a sudden death in the Creations slot, because I have a song I would love some critique on. I am not very good at all on piano, but quite sick of other people having to accompany me (often against their will) so I tried to do the Counting Crows song "Raining In Baltimore". Here is a link to where you can download it: link and one to tell me what you think: link 2

Thanks everyone! Please post what you've got--I'm very excited to hear what might come out of this.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jul 17 2006, 05:35 PM
Post #2

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

It sounds really pretty, though the piano is too loud or your voice is too soft, its really hard to hear what you're singing at some points. You do have a very nice voice though, I'm jelous

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jul 21 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #3

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

you have a beautiful, strong voice. Although as Kitty said, the piano is a little loud. This is nice idea for a thread, I may record my new piano piece as I yearn for an audience!

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jul 22 2006, 06:37 AM
Post #4

I'd add some of my recently almost tolerable singing to get some criticizm on it (sorry I cant spell tonight, Where is that spellcheck button, Mata?!) because I'm just singing to be able to sing along with songs and not have people wincing and covering their ears. But I would like to be able to improve upon it.

But I dont know any sites that allow free uploading of sound files. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jul 22 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #5

Lord of the Keys

The one I used was mysharefile--pretty comprehensive and no-hassle. You do have to sign up, but they don't ask for anything incriminating.

I've also used iHud, which lets you upload things without signing up. Both sites delete your files after not using them for 30 days.

Also, thank you both for the nice things you had to say. Hoorah for pending uploadsions!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jul 24 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #6

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

This is neither me singing or playing the guitar, but it is my sister and my best friend singing and guitaring respectively. Yes it's a cover of Picking On Me by Skunk Anansie.

Oh, I recorded/mixed/edited it. (Sorry about that.)

Edit: A link would probably help.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jul 27 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #7

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

I am keen to try recording myself playing piano, guitar or singing (or a combination of the lot), but have no real equipment to do so. I'm yearning to get myself a decent soundcard, with mic ports and - rather importantly - a MIDI port, which is horribly lacking in my current soundcard and thus my MIDI keyboard is going slightly unused.

All you computer-music buffs, I would welcome any suggestions re: soundcards?

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jul 28 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #8

The other day I was bored and recorded myself singing a song that was stuck in my head. And when I get bored and sing I usally thing things in an entirely different way than they were ment to be sung.... So I did this a couple times and one of the times sounded really nice, I spliced all the files together and sent them to a friend of mine who stared at me like I was crazy, and then he got to the last file (the one that was sung really nicely) and his jaw dropped and he demanded to know when I learned to sing.

Well I'm not that great of a singer but he was shocked! Here's me singing rubber ducky

Oh and I just put another thing up, It's me singing the doom song, which, sadly, I can sing along perfectly with the MP3.... This was done about a year or two a go when I was at home bored.... All done in microsoft sound recorder

--------------------

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jul 29 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #9

My direction

Member No.: 495

Kitty, that's nice (the rubber ducky song - choice of subject matter aside tongue.gif). You're just a bit breathy. Once you stopped worrying about it in the middle, the actual quality of your voice sounded good.

elpaba - I'm not gonna say anything that hasn't been said already but you do have agreat voice and the piano is slightly too loud.

This is also an AWESOME idea for a thread happy.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 8 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #10

I've been working on sounding less 'breathy' but havent yet recorded anything (it takes me forever to memorize the lyrics to a full song)

--------------------

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Aug 8 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #11

Dirty Laundry

I recorded my new piece (Prelude in G Sharp Minor - Rachmaninoff) but then in one of the sections my left hand made a couple of mistakes and so it's far too embarrassing to let anyone hear. I'll make it better and post it soonish. Perhaps instead I'll post last year's concert piece ('Revolutionary' Etude - Chopin) if my left hand can still do it. Hah.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Aug 9 2006, 11:05 AM
Post #12

Dirty Laundry

I have recorded myself doing Prelude G Sharp Minor by Rachmaninov and the 'Revolutionary' Etude by Chopin but neither are up to any sort of decent standard. They are both absoloutly swarming with mistakes! I mean, the Rachmaninoff is a work in progress and the Chopin is a work going down in progress but I shall post them both because I would appreciate a lot of criticism. Also, if there are any pianists here, I was wondering if anyone knew how to make the right and left hands compliment eachother - I'm finding that although they're playing at the same time they're still sounding like two separate parts.

Anyway: Prelude in G Sharp Minor and 'Revolutionary' Etude. Criticise me! smile.gif

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3

+Quote Post
Tantei Sayumi
post Aug 10 2006, 03:08 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,335

QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Aug 9 2006, 04:05 AM) *
I have recorded myself doing Prelude G Sharp Minor by Rachmaninov and the 'Revolutionary' Etude by Chopin but neither are up to any sort of decent standard. They are both absoloutly swarming with mistakes! I mean, the Rachmaninoff is a work in progress and the Chopin is a work going down in progress but I shall post them both because I would appreciate a lot of criticism. Also, if there are any pianists here, I was wondering if anyone knew how to make the right and left hands compliment eachother - I'm finding that although they're playing at the same time they're still sounding like two separate parts.

Anyway: Prelude in G Sharp Minor and 'Revolutionary' Etude. Criticise me! smile.gif

I don't think I'm the most reliable person to ask--I'm only a piano student at the moment ._.b Not to mention that I've only heard the Chopin before, and have never played it... I've played other Chopin etudes before, but not that particular one (and I'm feeling to lazy to go find my book)... so I'm probably wrong about everything I'm saying right now... and I'm sorry if you don't understand my wording--I never studied theory (though I should)...
On both, the LH especially sounds a bit choppy in places. Also, for both, it would be nice if the repetition of the... uh... main part that repeats would have a change in dynamics (i.e., softer the last time you repeat it).
Etude:
For the parts around 0:15 (where the LH and RH join together), it could be cleaner (as well as other parts of the song)--not to say that it shouldn't sound like it's "underneath"/smoother/more subdued/softer than the rest, but more exact w/ the notes, I guess... but then again, it's just in progress, so nvm.
In the beginning, after the RH chord (like at 0:04), I think that the shorter notes (are they 18ths?) should crescendo, then get softer before the next chord that starts off the rest of the shorter notes. On these shorter notes throughout the song and overall, I think that it should be "wavier" (more change in dynamics).
And some of the places where the two hands play together could be more "aligned"
For some of the RH chords around 1:15, though it's nice (for some of them) that you slow down a little bit before playing them, I think that the first, at least, it would be better just not to pause there.
After the split chord around 1:40, the RH chord sounds a little strange when it's so loud. There's prob. an accent mark there, but I like it less choppy. I highly doubt that it would be a good idea to pay attention to this comment, as I'm quite unsure about it.
Hm... for the chords... maybe you should take them a little slower--well, not really slowing them down, but not playing them altogether. Er... letting your arm "drop" down so that they "rest" once you've gotten a chord, I guess I should say.
I'm definitely not done commenting yet, but...
Prelude:
IDK, but at about 1:20, I think the RH should sound a little sweeter...
I have to now... my comments were so pointless sleep.gif;;

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Aug 10 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #14

Dirty Laundry

Wow, thank you! I shall bear all of that in mind!

QUOTE (Tantei Sayumi @ Aug 10 2006, 04:08 AM) *
change in dynamics

I do have a crescendo as the 'wave' goes up and decrescendo as it goes down, decrescendo on the original fast notes downward and it does get quieter after the fff 'tsunami section' (just before the original theme repeats itself) and I know it is bad to blame one's tools but my mic doesn't seem to pic up the dynamics very well. unsure.gif

Still, thank you so much! You must be amazing at piano - post some things to hear! smile.gif

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Aug 11 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #15

My direction

decrescendo

Diminuendo?

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Aug 11 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #16

Dirty Laundry

^ Yes. I think you can say either. Sometimes 'decres.' is written in sheet music.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Aug 28 2006, 03:46 AM
Post #17

Lord of the Keys

IATB---it would be much easier to just call you emma? Can I call you emma? Four capital letters is a lot to ask of a person. Anyway, I am a very large fan of the pieces you've posted though my current rather remedial state of piano knowledge leaves me with just a disappointing "wow" to comment with. They sound beautiful (I particularly like the Chopin, but that is because I am an orchestra dork). Keep posting things!

Hobbes, if I must, I will mail you my iTalk. And, if I must also, my iPod. I think it would be really excellent to get to hear you sing/play guitar/piano. Wish I could assist with the soundcard info, but I have no idea what to look for in a good one or which ones are good.

I've been very bored in the past few weeks and am working on a few different recording projects (all of which are extensive and require lots of editation) but while I was taking a break from them, I recorded this! It's the Decemberists song "My Mother Was a Chinese Trapeze Artist" and I like how it sounds. Tell me what you think!

(Also, a memo to everyone else:

Post things. I want to hear you doing music things.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Aug 30 2006, 01:34 PM
Post #18

My direction

I would post things... If I had some decent recording equipment dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Aug 30 2006, 03:17 PM
Post #19

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jul 27 2006, 09:38 PM) *
All you computer-music buffs, I would welcome any suggestions re: soundcards?

If you were just after a midi interface then you could get a USB one for...some money, probably not much, depending on the brand. Your best bet for a soundcard with a head unit (which is more than likely to be the only way to get a MIDI thingy. Such as this one (it's old but I have one knocking about).

Better still, you could go for an mbox. They're pricey but come with bundled software and have the added bonus of XLR inputs (which you'll find in every studio ever) and which all worth while microphones use.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Sep 17 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #20

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

Yes, I am after a MIDI interface, and mic ports at least. My singing teacher has the opportunity for a good recording setup, but isn't very technologically minded so doesn't really try to get it organised. Hopefully she will soon, and I can try and record something with her.

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Sep 22 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #21

My direction

Hypothetically, were I to have something to post, where/how would you recommend (I hate that word, it's impossible to spell, and that bugs me *cross*) hosting it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Sep 23 2006, 01:07 AM
Post #22

Lord of the Keys

This is a decent place. You might also want to try this site--they're both decent but will delete your files after 30 days.

(post things post things post things)

--------------------

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Oct 4 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #23

Lord of the Keys

*bump*

Hey guys, post things. Posty posty post.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Oct 9 2006, 01:37 AM
Post #24

http://www.mysharefile.com/v/9495029/roses.wav.html

Just a short lil thingy I randomly sung, really liked, and recorded.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Aug 5 2008, 03:35 AM
Post #25

Lord of the Keys

This is a little silly, but I spent three minutes imitating Madeleine Peyroux and I thought somebody might want to hear it? Maybe?

Gosh, what an old thread! Whoever made it must have packed up and left by now, though it sure it nice that they aren't embarrassing themselves by bumping it. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 11:36 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!