Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Travel Plans, Arg!
Daria
post Jul 17 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #1

Wait for the uprising

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,735

This summer for me, is full of going places, seeing people and spending money I don't have. Part of this includes going to see a friend in Orkney.

I live in Suffolk. I will be travelling from London, to Aberdeen then to Orkney. The ferry from Aberdeen to Orkney takes 6 hours.

I can usualy organise things pretty well, but for this I am freaking out a leetle bit. There is just SO much to think about and my parents are going to France at the same time as me going off traveling. This is also the first time I am going traveling somewhere by myself entirely.
There is only one ferry a day, the cheapest way to get to Aberdeen would be by bus which takes 11 hours and there would be about a 10 hour wait between the bus getting into Aberdeen and the ferry I would take.

Eeep.

I'm used to waiting about, and I want to get to know Aberdeen more as I'm going to uni there after my gap year- but I'll have a HUGE backpack with me and I get lost very easily. VERY easily.
Lucky for me, my parents are footing the travel fares as my 18th birthday present but I still want to go the cheapest way. I could go one way on aeroplane and one way on bus but that just seems complicated.
Not really sure why I'm writing this topic- probably just to vent and to ask if anyone knows of anything I could do in Aberdeen to kill some time/ anyone who fancied meeting up for a drink at a ridiculous time in the morning. Or perhaps even anyone who owns a helicopter who fancied flying me from Mr Teapot's house direct to my friend Peter's house on Orkney. Anyone? No?
Oh well.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Jul 17 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #2

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Buy and carry a couple maps. One of the general area and one of the city itself. There may also be tourist stuff at a tourist info center which may give you a list of cool stuff to track down. That way you're not wandering aimlessly hoping to bump into something interesting. A little net research might be good beforehand also.
I find most people are pretty friendly about pointing the way back to a bus/train/airport depot. A good but expensive option is to keep the phone number of a local cab company in your pocket and as the time approaches to get back phone and get a ride directly there.

Have a great trip. It sounds like a great time.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jul 17 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #3

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

See if the ferry terminal has left luggage. This way it'll give you an idea where the terminal is in relation to the city and you can ditch the huge rucsac and wont have to chase it up later. It will probably cost but does pay off in the long run to my experience.
If the ferry terminal doesn't most bigger train stations do and coach stations sometimes have lockers, but then you have the chasing up to do later when you have less time.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 17 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Ohhh. Now, see, that is actually a lengthy journey. Yay Daria for not complaining about a measely 5 hour train journey or something. biggrin.gif

I've never been to Aberdeen, so I can't give you any advice that's specific to it. Ashbless and Cath had good suggestions, though. I managed to only get minorly lost once while in the UK whenever I had directions/a map with me...and this is coming from someone who once got lost in the town she had lived in her whole life (which had a whopping 4500 people). Maps are definitely our friends.

Ooh. IRC should come up with a scavenger hunt for you to occupy yourself on your journey. *schemes*

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jul 17 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #5

Wait for the uprising

Hehehe, well a scavenger hunt does sound fun.
I have booked my bus and ferry- the bus is overnight and the ferry gets onto the island at midnight. So that's about 24 hours of traveling. It's ok though, I have done it before (that length of time). I will definitely take a map with me, but knowing me that may or may not work.

Everything is getting a bit scary- the big wide world (well, the outermost parts of Scotland anyway) is looming. Eeep!

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 15 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #6

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Has this happened yet? If so, how did it go?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Aug 15 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #7

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

It happened! The way up to Scotland was fine.
I got into Aberdeen at about ten am on Tuesday morning, walked with rucksack to the tourist info, found some cool things to pass the time with (ie art gallery, museum etc), found that the left luggage is by the bus station, walked all the way back, dropped it off, Went to find the ferry terminal, couldn't, went into a cafe by the docks, bought a drink and got directions. Spoke to mother on the phone, used up the last of my battery, walked back to the bus station, picked up my rucksack (this was only about an hour or so later), sat in the cafe charging up my phone, reading The Beach, slowly sipping on another drink. Fell asleep. Woke up about four hours later with a cafe full of people watching me (it was empty when I first arrived), bought some chips and then left to board the ferry.

Met an interesting old Australian lady called Thelma who resembled somewhat Jabba The Hut: she was looking for her glasses at one point and couldn't find them due to them being enveloped by her chin.
Had a wonderful time in Orkney; although I wasn't impressed with the amount of desperate middle aged drunk men who tried chatting me up, using the line "I see you haven't got a wedding ring..."

Coming home was a different matter. I had a whole 12 hours to kill in Aberdeen this time; I tried sleeping on the ferry in the morning instead of getting off immediately as you were able to stay until ten am. I failed to sleep much as muy "nest" I had made from chair cushions, chairs and my rucksack wasn't all that comfortable.
I went to the ferry check in place, noticed they had cushy chairs and so sat down and slept for a few hours. Woke up at half nine, checked my bag into the left luggage place at the bus station and found my way (by a far longer route than was necessary) to the art gallery. Spent 5 hours wandering about in there, started to make my way to the left luggage dept. as it closed at ten to five. Found THE most brilliant record shop I have been into ever, spent a bit of time talking to the owner and looking through al the different genres of records (they even had jazz flute!), reliased it was quarter to five and went and picked up my bag.

Sat at the bus station for two hours; NB Aberdeen Bus Station isn't indoors. It is a row of chairs outside under a kind of permanent awning. Also note, Aberdeen is fricking cold.

The bus finally came, we all got on, went home, but got stuck on the M4 on Friday morning, thus lengthening the journey from eleven to fourteen hours. Sleeping in my own double bed on Friday night was one of the nicest things I had done in weeks.
Oh, and I did all this without a map. Woo! Get me and my (finally!) grasping a sense of direction! biggrin.gif

Edit: this is actually Daria, I just forgot to log out of T's thingy.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 17 2006, 12:31 PM
Post #8

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

That sounds fun, and was strangely like reading Jack Kerouac! smile.gif

How strange that the women leave the Orkney Ilses, if that's the best chat up line that they get...

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Daria
post Aug 21 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #9

Wait for the uprising

I know! I was oh so tempted to stay. It wasn't just the line though, it was also the kiss on the hand that sealed the deal...

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 11:32 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!