Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Discovery safe., space shuttle back in one piece
Ashbless
post Jul 19 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

In a rare burst of effort this morning I was up and out of the house by 8 am. That gave me time to wait in the usual 30 minute line up (q?) for a cup of Tim coffee. Fort McMurray has nasty long wait times at the 2 Tim Hortons in town and not much else is open in a coffee shop way at that hour.

Anyway I read about the safe re-entry and landing of the space shuttle on monday. I also found a blog that one of the space station astronauts is adding to. Last is the cool bit of news on msn's page of a module that's meant as a starting block of an orbiting hotel. Open 2015 I think. How cool would the view out of that hotel room's window be?

Anyone else read/hear/think something interesting regarding us, species wise, eventually wandering off earth?

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 20 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I think that, eventually, while the significance of our steps into space so far should not be underestimated, the orbital stations barely count as space travel.

Compared to the vast distances between ourselves and even our next closest star, the tiny jump into space is nearly insignificant. We might have escaped earth's gravity, at least enough to give the appearence of weightlessness, but we're still not out of the solar system.

It's easy to believe that humanity is doing incredible things, but on a cosmic scale we're still just a tiny bit beyond algae!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
El Nino
post Jul 26 2006, 06:26 AM
Post #3

I pull the wings off god

Member No.: 1,340

I was actually going to put something in my signature about this. But as much as I'd like to get off this planet I've got to ask, that, If we, as a race, can't handle the planet that we've been given. Then what makes us think we could handle another one?

We'd become a bit like the aliens in Independence day (in as much as using the resources and moving on)

--------------------
Please try to remember, when reading my posts, that I've probably not watched the same films & tv shows as you. I try not to watch music vids & I've also probably not even heard about them from other people. Man to woman "If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong!"/She's all lips & hips, she knows how to use them to make you flip//Liquor store & gun store, next to one another, with only one purpose, so you all kill each other,//Member of the pro cath association // Froggys' sugar-e-daddy//You can't spell politics without tics/[b]/Note to self: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations = human stupidity.Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the females (not shemales).

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post Jul 27 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #4

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

I just want to rant about the complete lack of drive to push back the boundaries of space travel since the Soviet Union fell. Don't stop just because you don't have a rival to strive against. It is important on its own merits.

And don't get a big head and rest on our laurals at what we have achieved. Sure we have done something no other civilisation (that we know of) has done, we have left the constrains of the planet of creation. But at any moment our planet may die and I do not think the International Space Station can carry on the human race by itself....

Meh. I wish the UK had a bigger space budget. Lets cut back on John Prescotts luxuries, we could probably afford a Mars base or two with just that.

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 09:13 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!