Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The French R, That most evil of letters
Fluffy
post Aug 11 2006, 01:50 AM
Post #1

Haibane

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 731

Can anyone tell me how to make the French R sound properly? I have a choice between taking Spanish or French next year, and I'd really rather know French (I really like Jules Verne). So, I figured I should at least look into a bit of it before I take the class (especially since at the moment I'm still waiting for my Heisig kanji books to come in). Anyway, I haven't yet been able to pronounce the R. I think I probably shouldn't take a language I can't even pronounce properly, and I can roll my R's quite well, if I do say so myself (rolled R's are almost exactly the same as the "tt" in "butter" or "dd" in "ladder" in American English anyway). Ergo, switching to Spanish would be an option, but I'd really rather not. Any pointers? Thank you.

--------------------
Odd Numbers = Raisins
Proudly e-married to Silver Star! This happened on January 11, 2004.
I'm DarkProtector's foob!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tantei Sayumi
post Aug 11 2006, 04:26 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,335

Um... you roll it in the back of your throat... kind of like gargling... well, Scots can do it... it's in a number of languages, including Persian and Russian... need I record it for you?

IDK... it's probably something that'll be hard for you to imitate on your first try, like rolling your tongue in Spanish. It's more of something that you have to do a number of times if you're just learning it, because it's more of the physical shape of your mouth, not what you hear by ear.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Aug 13 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #3

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you- I can speak French to a pretty good standard (have finished my A-level in it and about to move to Paris) and I can't roll my Rs for anything. I am trying to think of a word that specifically needs a rolled R in it, and I can't. I have found that the language is spoken further back in the mouth than English, and that you use your lips far more expressively, but apart from that *shrugs*

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Aug 20 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #4

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Ever heard a Hebrew 'r'? Thought not. But it's similar to it anyway. You need to sort of let your soft palette flop about onto your tongue. Try it with gargling water.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Aug 22 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #5

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

First off, try gargling with water. Then try gargling with air. Try and almost make a snoring sound, but with any noise.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Aug 24 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #6

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Ehh, how you say, to " 'ock up a loogie?" To be crude, that's the right kind of motion to make--air coming up through the throat but impeded by your soft palette and tongue. As you practice, try and make it more subtle as you go. In the first few months of speaking French it will probably be exagerrated as you're not used to making the noise.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 8 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #7

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Aug 24 2006, 02:49 PM) *
Ehh, how you say, to " 'ock up a loogie?" To be crude, that's the right kind of motion to make--air coming up through the throat but impeded by your soft palette and tongue. As you practice, try and make it more subtle as you go. In the first few months of speaking French it will probably be exagerrated as you're not used to making the noise.

You got it! Without that ckkkkkkkkk sound, you end up having very flat r's and sounding awfully English.
It's silly, I get told I sound English when speaking French, I get told I sound posh (i.e very English) when speaking English.
I wonder why? tongue.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 05:57 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!