IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How's uni/college/school?, Starting somewhere new?
Mata
post Sep 27 2006, 06:55 AM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Since it's that time of year, I thought it might be nice to have a place for people starting new routines to tell us how they're getting on. I know Froggie has just started at uni/college, and I'm sure others of you are doing the same. Basically I'm being nosey! smile.gif

How's the new stuff going?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Sep 27 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #2

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

I just started the upper division coursework for graphic design at my uni and I must say it's a bit stressful. For those who didn't know I had to go through a whole portfolio review thing and get accepted into this program, which was stressful in iteslf, but not even half as bad as the course itself.

I'm excited and I do like school, but at the moment I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all and trying to keep up with homework and my job. I spent 11 and a half hours on Sunday just doing homework and I still didn't get everything finished that I needed for Monday.

All in all though it is for the most part good to be back. I don't have a cool Mac Suite like Froggy does, but I get to carry my own personal Mac around on my back for when I need to do that type of stuff. lol

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Sep 27 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #3

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 197

Well....I've just finished uni. Which I suppose counts because I'm now in the real world...sorta. I now have a job at my favourite pub in town. Only just started and it's only weekends at the moment, until one of their full-timers leaves to go traveling, then there'll be like 50 hours (I kid you not) going spare so they should be able to give me full time. Yay!

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Novander
post Sep 27 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #4

Take apart your head

Member No.: 1,599

After much worrying, I got accepted onto the MSc course (in Advanced Computing Science) three days before it started. A great relief. It looks like I'm going to have to work harder this year than I ever have before. If I get an MSc then I can forget the 2-2 I got in my BSc.

The course seems to be mostly made up of foreign students and we have to work in groups for some of, so that should help improve my communication skills. Plus presentations. I know I've got to do at least two this year. Hate presentations.

But Virtual Reality! Virtual Environments! I don't know how much I'll actually get to play with all the equipment, but I do know we've got a Motion Capture suite hidden in the basement of one of the buildings. I hope I get to play with that. Maybe I'll try to work out a dissertation project to do with it. Expensive toys are the funnest.

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
Witless
post Sep 27 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #5

happy.. sad.. happy

Member No.: 1,536

Hehe, Looking at my time table it looks more like playtime than work. Part of my brain will be thinking, "no way.. it can't be as fun as it looks". Because if it was, I'd do it for fun if I had the equipment.

I even get access to motion capture equipment, and a blue room to do blue screen work for special effects!

*scores*

A vary wide varied cross section of people i'll be with for the next 3 years.

Oh oh oh.. and when we were introducing ourselves I managed to get a couple of laughs!

*poses*

Digital Animation for the win!

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Sep 29 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #6

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

Well, it's my first year of middle school, but it's at the same school I've been going to since forever.(It's a new building, does that count?) But we get to pick classes this year! Yay! For this semester I have rocketry, and for next semester I have computers.

I hate school.

They gave us homework on the first day this year!!!! Is that...legal???
I have 3 cool teachers, 1 OK teacher, and 2 evil I want to destroy you teachers.

I have all advanced classes. (Except for exploratories)... And we get extra homework..yay....not...

I swear, I hate school.

If there's one good thing about school, it's sports. Soccer is the only team sport we've started so far, and we had our first tournament game yesterday. We owned, 8-2!

I still hate school, though.

Did you know that you can launch 2 liter bottles over 70 feet in the air if you use enough PSI and water? We landed on the roof today.

I HATE SCHOOL.

Now I'm going to go figure out why I hate school if we're doing such cool things this year. It's a major brain teaser.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
That_Guy
post Sep 29 2006, 01:52 AM
Post #7

That_guy needs therapy!

Member No.: 2,523

You ever have one of those Fridays where your day is going really cool, then suddenly your last teacher (Usually Science or something) gives you a really long, annoying assignment?

Yeah.

--------------------
"Anarchism is the most irrational, anti-intellectual notion ever spun by the concrete-bound, context-dropping, whim-worshiping fringe of the collectivist movement, where it properly belongs."

Got lotsa Flash/ PHP skillz? Got lotsa time to kill? We need you!

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Sep 29 2006, 02:00 AM
Post #8

Germany > Spain...

^ Our science teacher would never do that to us. ^^(Oh god, I think I jinxed it..) We get Wacky Wednesday!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 29 2006, 07:49 AM
Post #9

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

QUOTE (That_Guy @ Sep 29 2006, 01:52 AM) *
You ever have one of those Fridays where your day is going really cool, then suddenly your last teacher (Usually Science or something) gives you a really long, annoying assignment?

Yeah.

They were called Tuesdays- AKA Daria's day to sleep in lesson. Fridays were the best- one lesson period two and no others. Fridays were pub/ seaside days.

*Hasn't anything to add about being in school as she currently isn't*
Paris is kind of new, and fun though.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Sep 29 2006, 03:10 PM
Post #10

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

QUOTE (That_Guy @ Sep 29 2006, 02:52 AM) *

Yeah.

Had one just now. Frankly, I couldn't care less about blast furnaces let alone have to write an in depth essay about them.

School's great. I've just started year 10 so we got to choose our lessons. Most of my choices where fun subjects (music, RS, art, French, computing) so my week is pretty much science with lots and lots of playtime. But we have crazy amounts of science. On Tuesdays (I think it is) we have all the sciences.

I have also recently started in a new band and Saturday piano school thing, they're both great, but my shyness is not!

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Sep 29 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #11

My direction

Member No.: 495

I move into Uni tomorrow. I already feel like I've forgotten something vital...

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Sep 29 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #12

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I've just started again at my lovely high school. I'm planning a protest about the surveillance cameras they've just placed on (but a fun one, not a 'hold signs and yell in broad daylight' kind. Along the lines of the Surveillance Camera Players, but at night.)

I'm taking a Sculpture class in which I melt things in the kiln. Currently, it's a mixture of brass and tinfoil. The others are dull sad AP classes, but sculpture makes up for it because of the melting. Also, I get to sleep in/have first period to finish homework/have breakfast at a fabulous coffee shop near campus due to an extremely favorable schedule. My first real, intellectual class isn't till eleven, so I have some time to warm up to the idea of classwork.

Socially, I still kind of suck. But other than that, considering teachers, homework and the actual school environment, this year is going really well.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Sep 30 2006, 12:49 AM
Post #13

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Sep 29 2006, 10:04 PM) *
I move into Uni tomorrow. I already feel like I've forgotten something vital...

Pillows, toothbrush, TV remote controls, phone charger, desk light, bed side light...those are some of the things I managed to forget...I think I forgot a pair of trainers once too....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Sep 30 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #14

Germany > Spain...

^ Computer!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Sep 30 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #15

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

Yay for 6th Form and A-levels.

My tuesday is awesome, 5 hours of Maths lessons, then 1 1/2 of physics.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Sep 30 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #16

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

I started an access course in film making. Hopefully I can get into uni with it, but I wanna do an art foundation too before I study a degree.

First day of college; a boy got rushed and the police turnt up in minutes. Also my classroom was flooded, not an exaggeration. - Water was drip dripping down the walls then gushed as if God Himself was pissing a river directly over us. I've not made up my mind about my classmates yet, and I'm in no rush to.

I am glad that I am the youngest though. I really didn't fancy the prospect of taking a class with a load of post 16-ers. Am I being old and cynical? For sure, but it comes from my experience of studying with them before. Not to say it would bother me if there were some people who were younger than me ( I have quite a few friends who are) just that it would really do my head in to work with a load of kids working out their heads.

There was this one guy who was really keen to keep sitting next to me (argh, I just want to sit with different people and get to know each of them better) and so on the second day when most of us were eating lunch together and talking about first loves I let it be known my first love was a lass. He didn't sit next to me that afternoon. Well, at least he isn't one of those 'all she needs is a good rodgering' types.

In other news, I got a bit hyper about the formula hawt class mate + Mac suite = major fantasy. There are other Mac suites too which I've yet to investigate. I need to do a recce. *grin* Maybe I should apply to Apple for the title Certified Sexual Apple Deviant? 'Dear Apple, I like Macs. No, I mean I really like Macs...'

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Oct 3 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #17

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Although I'm a fourth year I've just moved into Halls of Residence at my uni for my first year here in Leicester (first 2 years in Nottingham, third in Norwich).
I moved in a week later than the freshers (I'm pretty sure they're freshers) who I'm living with (6 of them). So far I've only really talked to one of them, I still have no clue what her name is let alone what course she is doing, etc. I just bumped into another who I don't think I've seen before, she was going into the kitchen just as I came out with my food. She said hi, which is pretty much all that had gone on between me and any others I have seen. I'm not good with new people, I suck at introducing myself and asking questions so basically I'm not holding out much hope of ever learning any of their names.
Anyway, my room is reasonably nice and my course is looking alrightish so far. Need to sort out my loan tomorrow. Not a big fan of Leicester, wandered round earlier and although the shops are okay it's not really a nice city. I'm only really here until the end of February and then for exams so I can live with that, especailly when Cand and Ste will be in Derby so I can escape cheaply and easily at weekends!
I just need to persuade myself to get on with my dissertation now!

--------------------
IPB Image
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Oct 4 2006, 01:24 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Izzy @ Sep 30 2006, 03:44 AM) *
^ Computer!

You kidding? ME, forget my computer? That'd be like...forgetting to breathe....though with slightly less dire consequences.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stardust_Smile
post Oct 4 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #19

x.Faeries Do It Better.x

Member No.: 2,101

Okay, well...

I've just started at college, I'm doing a Health and Social care and Early Years diploma course. The college decided to put me on a part-time timetable and let me do just the one course. That means i have 15 sessions in college and 15 sessions free. It sounds like a lot of free time, but my course is just coursework and you have to do three seperate pieces of coursework at onbce so it's quite a lot to deal with. I'm managing though so it's all good smile.gif

My class is ratther small theres only about 15 of us in it, which makes it easier to bond with everyone and everyone becomes friends much easier, rather than certain groups forming in the class.

I think I prefer college to school, I find it has a much more relaxed atmosphere, plus the fact that some of my teachers are just crazy and teach us dancing and yoga-type moves when we really should be working! biggrin.gif

--------------------
*~*Megsy*~*
The Ickle Adoptee of Smiler Yarr! SMILE! :D

You've Just Been SPANGLED!!!
***Ryn's leiutenant Spangler Yay!***

I'm Rad You're Rad - LETS HUG!!!
You Don't Need The Sun To Make You Shine
Her LiveJournal ~ & ~ Her Myspazz

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 5 2006, 04:11 AM
Post #20

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

Well, I got screwed out of two classes, but I love the ones I'm in (psychology of children and intro to education). I have to do a buttload of observations for both classes, but I'm dealing. What spare time I do have, I devote to my friends, my projects and this girl I'm into.

In one of my classes, I've almost gotten into it with this one chick with whom I do NOT see eye-to-eye. Twice, in fact. Once on whether or not existentialism is a "feel good" philosophy and another time on how she thinks I'm stupid enough to go into a job interview weating makeup, nail polish and my lebret stud.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Oct 6 2006, 03:10 PM
Post #21

My direction

Member No.: 495

My Hall is full of bilingual people! I feel so thick. They're all really nice though - they're ALL scientists (well, duh, Science and Technology uni) so I don't get accused of being a geek for putting my huge Periodic Table poser up on my wall happy.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Oct 8 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #22

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I recently found out that a friend of mine shares a flat with a friend of a friend of Mr Teapot's. It is a small world...

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Oct 8 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #23

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

Not sure if this quite fits in with the thread but I finished uni a few months ago and just started work for Core Design as a games programmer.

So far it's pretty good in a geeky way and the project I'm working in is pretty damned cool. Lunchtime games of Quake just sweeten the deal.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 10 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #24

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Yep, I reckon that fits in here smile.gif Are you allowed to say what you're working on?

Daria: Yes, it's a scarily small world sometimes! For example, I went to a wedding about a month ago and a good friend of mine from the old days was there who I haven't seen for several years. I think it worked that my girlfriend knows the bride, and the groom knows my friend. It's a pretty random chain but the connection still happened. Weird, but fun!

GA: That sounds like a good excuse to learn some new languages! I love picking up bits of different languages but I don't know many people who speak anything other than English, or at least not well enough to learn with.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Dreams On Hiatus
post Oct 12 2006, 02:26 AM
Post #25

<3

Member No.: 806

I'm at Savannah College of Art and Design and my intended major is Sequential Art and intended minor is Animation. Right now I'm in foundation studies and I won't get to do anything with my major til next year, but that's okay cause foundation stuff is important. happy.gif
As for how I'm doing, I think I am doing pretty well. I love it here. I'm helping with the organization of a game at my residence hall (there are five of us planning this event...and about 800 residents). It's Capture the Flag, Dorm Style. It has a rather lengthy explanation and if anyone really, really wants to know they can pm me cause I don't want to spam up this thread. I get along with my room mates, well it's just one room mate now the other moved out into a house with a friend. But my current room mate and I share the same birthday and our names rhyme. laugh.gif
There's a lot of work, too. I am finding myself getting only about 4 to 5 hours of sleep at the most every night. But we get three day weekends, so that gives me lots of time to get homework done (and sleep, oh blessed sleep) I guess that's it for me. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image Dance, kitteh, dance!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 05:36 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!