IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ramadan, who here celebrates the holy month?
Ashbless
post Oct 2 2006, 01:48 PM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

One of the things I love about my current town is it's multiculturalism. We have people from all over the world trying to chase the allmighty dollar.
A co-worker is devout muslim and takes prayer breaks within the day. He is currently observing one of the more important holy times. It seems similar to lent. Unlike the modern Christian lent though it's not something he shrugs off as "Meh, didn't manage it so meh."

Anyone celebrating this?
Anyone, and it won't be hard to, know more about this occasion than a recovering catholic?

Apparently charity work is also very important at this time. It isn't just about the fasting in daylight hours. Most important my friend tells me it's all about the praising / serving of God.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Oct 2 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #2

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

We have a lot of kids at the school I teach at observing Ramadan. They are quite zealous at this time of year. Normally they are muslims because they are from pakistan but over ramadan you see that they are muslims because they believe in Allah and the teachings of the koran. We do our best to make school less of a burden for them during ramadan plus we have at least two teachers fasting at the mo

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Oct 2 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #3

Dirty Laundry

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,573

I'm not fasting for Ramadan but today I am fasting for Day of Atonement today. I fasted yesterday aswell because of some odd family tradition where you fast on the day before Day of Atonement too. I don't know why, but you just do. It's my first time fasting since by now I should have had a Bat Mitzvah but we have decided it is far too much trouble. So much for being religious. *rolls eyes*

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 08:33 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!