Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So what languages [i]do[/i] we speak?
FeralPolyglot
post Dec 21 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #1

=^^= ~~

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,690

Just out of curiousity, what languages do our beloved Forumites speak?

I speak English (American English, if you want to get picky about Dialects), Spanish, Sign, and some Russian and Portuguese.

EDIT: I also am working on learning Esperanto. happy.gif

--------------------
-Cerin
=^^= ~~

What have you done today to make you feel proud?
"Be the change that you want to see in the world." -Mohandas Gandhi
"We do not inherit the land from our fathers, we borrow it from our children." -Native American Proverb
"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Walk beside me and just be my friend." - Albert Camus
"You can't change the music of your soul." -Katherine Hepburn
"Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth. (...) There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself." -The Matrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Dec 21 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #2

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

English and German.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 21 2006, 02:36 PM
Post #3

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Main - English

French - badly, but passable if given a sympathetic listener
German - very badly, it's been years since I used this
Japanese - enough to get directions and buy stuff but otherwise very little
Italian - just enough for a restaurant with a little revision, but I'm not too bad on reading basic stuff

...And I seem to have acquired the ability to read medium-ish level Latin through having a good English vocabulary.

So, in essence, I only really know English, but I've got enough botch-job options to generally survive in most places!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Dec 21 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #4

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

English

French and German, not fluently but enough to get by. My German is better than my French.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Dec 21 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #5

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

English, French, some BSL, Betaish.

The latter being a language made up by my friend and I biggrin.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 21 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #6

Oh, Actionscript 1.0, basic PHP, HTML, and I can read javascript wink.gif

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
FeralPolyglot
post Dec 21 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #7

=^^= ~~

QUOTE (Daria @ Dec 21 2006, 12:00 PM) *

You know some BSL (assuming that's British Sign Language)? That's cool. The Sign I know some of is ASL (American Sign Language). We should compare notes sometime.

I didn't know there were other conlangers on the Forum. (Conlang being a constructed language) I have parts of one that I worked on. But I get distracted and it gets set aside. What was the basis for your conlang? Gramatically/Phonologically/Syntactically...? Was it more of a EnglishWord=BetaishWord or was it developed on its own? Is the Verb Structure innovative or taken from an existing one? :-p

--------------------
-Cerin
=^^= ~~

"We do not inherit the land from our fathers, we borrow it from our children." -Native American Proverb
"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Walk beside me and just be my friend." - Albert Camus
"Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth. (...) There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself." -The Matrix

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Dec 21 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #8

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Primarily English. Then some Hebrew (enough to get by with every-day life, but I couldn't have an in-depth conversation about politics or something!) and French (about GCSE level). Oh yes, and also some Spanish but only because I used to learn it. I've forgotten most of it now. I also speak very little Latin, but I used to learn it, I just missed all of the lessons last year to go French horn lessons instead.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Daria
post Dec 21 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #9

Wait for the uprising

QUOTE (FeralPolyglot @ Dec 21 2006, 05:43 PM) *
QUOTE (Daria @ Dec 21 2006, 12:00 PM) *

You know some BSL (assuming that's British Sign Language)? That's cool. The Sign I know some of is ASL (American Sign Language). We should compare notes sometime.

I didn't know there were other conlangers on the Forum. (Conlang being a constructed language) I have parts of one that I worked on. But I get distracted and it gets set aside. What was the basis for your conlang? Gramatically/Phonologically/Syntactically...? Was it more of a EnglishWord=BetaishWord or was it developed on its own? Is the Verb Structure innovative or taken from an existing one? :-p

Hell if I know- to answer the second paragraph. It is a basic bastardisation of English, Orcadian (Orkney islands), French, German, and things The Goons may have said. Example- "Wow, that's brilliant! You should definitely go for that, I think you would really enjoy it. you know, it sounds good."

"Wouaou! C'est brewyant! Y shudd deafenly gopher that, methinks y wood flealy enjoy it. Ye ken, it sounds jd"

It kind of gets made up as we go along- we being my friend, with whom I invented it, and I.
Bed is bedfordshire, film is feelm, wolf is wulluf- you see the trend. We sometimes have moments of being as obscure as possible, but usually understand one another.

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
FeralPolyglot
post Dec 22 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #10

=^^= ~~

QUOTE (Daria @ Dec 21 2006, 02:45 PM) *
[...truncated... -FPG]

Hell if I know- to answer the second paragraph. It is a basic bastardisation of English, Orcadian (Orkney islands), French, German, and things The Goons may have said. Example- "Wow, that's brilliant! You should definitely go for that, I think you would really enjoy it. you know, it sounds good."

"Wouaou! C'est brewyant! Y shudd deafenly gopher that, methinks y wood flealy enjoy it. Ye ken, it sounds jd"

It kind of gets made up as we go along- we being my friend, with whom I invented it, and I.
Bed is bedfordshire, film is feelm, wolf is wulluf- you see the trend. We sometimes have moments of being as obscure as possible, but usually understand one another.

Ah, I see. The conlang I was working on was not really a bastardization of anything. Here's one of the few things I remember from the conlang.

"Ma ca'Lunane umya lenath ili ma ca'thilu khethin u'roth." It means (roughly translated) "May it be that with the Moon Goddess you always walk and in her Light you roam." happy.gif

--------------------
-Cerin
=^^= ~~

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Dec 22 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #11

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

I speak English. I studied french up to year 9, and german up to GCSE. I can speak neither fluently, but would probably be ok in Germany if I didn't talk to many people. I know a little Japanese, but this is very limited as I haven't continued with the self learn course for a while. I've also made an attempt at Dutch, which I can't pronounce to save my life, nor can I say anything useful, unless the situation calls for informing someone that the farmer is sitting in the bus.

I also began making my own language a few years back. It's still very small, as it only progresses when I think of something to write, but I haven't forgotten any of it.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Tantei Sayumi
post Dec 29 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,335

English, Japanese, and Chinese (Mandarin)

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 29 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #13

Yikes! I'd love to be able to speak Mandarin, but accents have never been my strong point, even in languages that don't require them so strictly. I suspect I'd end up causing offence and still not be understood! How long did that take you to learn? Or do you have Chinese family (or maybe you are Chinese!)?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Dec 30 2006, 03:10 AM
Post #14

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I speak English and pig French. I can have a slow French conversation about very clean, dull things (I would like to go to the museum, could you please help me with these dishes, I thought the best thing about this film was...) but nothing too complicated. My vocabulary is pretty awful, despite the fact that I'm getting good grades in college-level French. How sad.

Oh! I can also order food in Spanish, but with an Italian accent (or so waiters often complain).

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Mindsurfer
post Dec 30 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 2,990

I speak swedish..
and i believe, that if i tried, i could communicate with wheel chairs.

+Quote Post
Wytukaze
post Dec 30 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #16

Carcinogenic Donkey

Member No.: 1,656

It has been demanded of me that I reply to this. Ahem.

I speak, in order of proficiency, English, Tok Pisin, German, French, Dutch, Ga and then random phrases and bits of grammar in a tonne of other languages.

As for conlangs, I've worked on a couple because I am just that nerdy.

Speaking of nerdiness, I can write C++, VB, most forms of ECMAscript (ActionScript, Javascript and JScript etc), HTML, XML, CSS and I'm bored of listing things now.

--------------------

JERUSALEM, Israel (AP) - In response to Israel's denial of water to the West Bank, HAMAS released three cheetahs in West Jerusalem, where they went on a killing spree, mauling four Jews and injuring thirteen.

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) - Following a cheetah attack on West Jerusalem perpetrated by the majority HAMAS party, the Israeli Air Force retaliated by detonating twenty kiloton nuclear devices over Gaza City, Jenin, Nablus, Rafah, and Ramallah.

ASHDOD, Israel (AP) - As a result of the atomic bombings of five Palestinian cities, a 50-foot tall reptile has woken from its million-year slumber in the Mediterranean Sea. The monster has made landfall at Ashdod and obliterated the city. Eyewitnesses report that the monster left the destroyed city heading southeast.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Dec 31 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #17

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

My love for Wytukaze is overflowing. Just thought you should know.

I speak English, and I wish I could speak German, but I've only had a year of it and I can't take it where I live now sad.gif I haven't much time to learn it outside of school, either. College, though! I've had two years of Latin, which... is enough for me, I'll tell you.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Wytukaze
post Jan 2 2007, 01:22 AM
Post #18

Carcinogenic Donkey

You only love me for my startling beauty.

--------------------

JERUSALEM, Israel (AP) - In response to Israel's denial of water to the West Bank, HAMAS released three cheetahs in West Jerusalem, where they went on a killing spree, mauling four Jews and injuring thirteen.

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) - Following a cheetah attack on West Jerusalem perpetrated by the majority HAMAS party, the Israeli Air Force retaliated by detonating twenty kiloton nuclear devices over Gaza City, Jenin, Nablus, Rafah, and Ramallah.

ASHDOD, Israel (AP) - As a result of the atomic bombings of five Palestinian cities, a 50-foot tall reptile has woken from its million-year slumber in the Mediterranean Sea. The monster has made landfall at Ashdod and obliterated the city. Eyewitnesses report that the monster left the destroyed city heading southeast.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jan 2 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #19

Wait for the uprising

LIES. LIES AND SMALL LIZARDESQUE CREATURES.

It is your beard (not pictured in the cookie-eating avatarrr)

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
FeralPolyglot
post Jan 3 2007, 05:28 AM
Post #20

=^^= ~~

Wow, Wytukaze, very nice repertoire. We had to translate a piece from Tok Pisin in my Sociolinguistics class a while back. That was, umm, fun.. :-p

What are your conlangs like? Do you still actively conlang? There's nothing wrong with nerdy. 8-D Care to share about them? Maybe a small sample?

--------------------
-Cerin
=^^= ~~

+Quote Post
Wytukaze
post Jan 3 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #21

Carcinogenic Donkey

Some are a posteriori (most developed is based on Old English), others are a priori (most developed is a highly agglutinative language with lots of cases - I was learning about cases at the time).

I'm not particularly actively conlanging, but sometimes I play with constructions - hell, it often helps me learn constructions from my German classes.

No sharing. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Jan 6 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #22

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Is also in awe of the language talents of the board.

I speak Canadian English which is very similar to American English but with the odd funny spelling. tongue.gif
I also have a few words of ASL, German and a bit of French. Those last are all years old and I'd have to sit down and seriously study before they became useful. I ought to learn French again as my step-mother is fluent and maybe it'd be a point of contact between us.
I did a year of C++ but don't think I'm meant to be a programmer.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
MisterJ
post Jan 21 2007, 03:57 AM
Post #23

Worrying

Member No.: 3,093

Hi, this is my first post here. I'm still in school studying Japanese, I know a enough to introduce and explain about myself and a bit, but that's it so far. Know a small bit of French. English is my first language.
Also, I'm working on my own conlang now. For short, it is Laitam, although formaly, it is Languize d Jd. It has a fair bit so far, I've only been working on it for a few months though, and I'm making a grammar system for it.
Here's an example:
"Hlla fa Rvozio! Wouho s odo'in, nuwsiam fa Voi rvozio. Emen d tiheite s Languize d Jd fa Tiheite languize."

It means, 'Hello all! How are you all today? The name of this language is Languize d Jd.' The is a little complicated, and it still needs a little 'trial and error' work. smile.gif

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jan 21 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #24

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Well, aside from English I speak, I think enough French to get by when assisted with a phrase-book. I think I cause Daria more pain than amusement when I try and converse in my pig-French with her!

I can understand much more Jamaican patois than I speak, mainly because I'm embarrassed of my terrible pronunciation, though confidant in the words and structure I use. Anecdote: When I returned from a six month holiday in Jamaica aged eight, only two people in my school could understand me, a Bajan girl and a Jamaican boy. My Jamaican accent had become so thick and ingrained that I had real difficulty speaking with an English accent. Luckily I had two translators.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Jan 21 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #25

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

I learned (the very,very, basics of) html in computer class about 2 weeks ago. I can speak French with a decent online dictionary, but my mom wants me to learn it for real. My school just started this program to learn Chineese, and a few friends and I might join it. So yay for me possibly learning more languages.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 10:43 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!