> Holiday Traditions?
FeralPolyglot
post Dec 25 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #1

=^^= ~~

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,690

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa, Yule, or some other festival around this time of year, each family has some tradition(s) that usher in the holiday season. What are some of yours?

{My response:}
My family (save the 5 year old) stays up on Christmas Eve and pulls the equivalent of an all-nighter wrapping the gifts. In the morning, the littlest one wakes us all up and gets us all downstairs to see if Santa came. Every year, his jaw drops and he exclaims "SANTA CAME!!!"

Another bit of tradition we have is that my stepmom makes this specific French Toast recipe every year for Christmas breakfast. It's a sine qua non, if you will. (Learned that phrase yesterday! Yay, Wikipedia! *feels smart* happy.gif)

Anyways, what are some of the holiday traditions you guys have?

--------------------
-Cerin
=^^= ~~

What have you done today to make you feel proud?
"Be the change that you want to see in the world." -Mohandas Gandhi
"We do not inherit the land from our fathers, we borrow it from our children." -Native American Proverb
"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Walk beside me and just be my friend." - Albert Camus
"You can't change the music of your soul." -Katherine Hepburn
"Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth. (...) There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself." -The Matrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Dec 25 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #2

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Aww, that's adorable. We've not got any five year olds, but the code of secrecy around each person regarding the gifts they got for others is really tight, so we all go to bed immediately after coming home from church and then sneak down later. Once everyone's up in the morning, we open stuff and get guilty about the excess, and then have a huge brunch with my grandmother and very nice but very deaf aunt.

Every year, we also try to trick whoever we're gifting someone to with the wrapping--hiding books in Gap boxes, etc. My brother got me best this year, though, putting my present (an electric buzzer for my mohawk) inside a massive mixing bowl and then wrapping the whole thing with bubble wrap and then gift paper until it was this bizarre lumpy mass under the tree.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Dec 25 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #3

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Turkey dressing sandwiches for lunchtime. It's an odd tradition but there you go.
My mother, and later I, always make too much stuffing and the excess is for lunch. We then don't eat much of anything until a large christmas day dinner. One year I even made turkey dressing for lunch eventhough dinner turned out to be pizza. laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Daria
post Dec 25 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #4

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

All the kids (my older brother and sister, me and my younger brother) all opening our stockings together, then waiting until nine before waking up the parentals, going downstairs, opening tree presents then having a feast of a breakfast. This year, mum made bagels and cranberry and chocolate Christmas muffins.
My Granma [sic] stayed over this year, and as she had never had a stocking as a child, my mum made her one up. It was a surprise and the look on her face (and the tear in her eye) way beautiful. She is 85.

Another tradition is that we only have two meals- breakfast lasts until about 1pm and dinner is at about 6 or 7pm.

I find it quite enjoyably(sp?) ironic that Christmas improved after my parents split up biggrin.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Dec 26 2006, 05:06 AM
Post #5

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

A tradition for the kids is to open one present Christmas Eve, and then stay up until 12:00. Once it's 12, we're allowed to unwrap one gift per hour, until we run out completely. If it's passed 8, we can open all of them.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
alstan
post Dec 27 2006, 01:11 AM
Post #6

Worrying

Member No.: 2,947

Every year my wife gives me a bottle of Woods Old Navy Rum. At 100`proof its about the strongest you can buy over the counter.
My posts may look a little erratic later tonight.

--------------------
O many gods, so many creeds,
So many paths that wind and wind,
While just the art of being kind
Is all the sad World needs. Ella Wheeler Wilcox.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Dec 28 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #7

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Almost every year my family come down to Deal (well, sideways technically) and spend Christmas down here so that on Christmas day we can go to the graveyard and say morning to my grandparents and great grandparents who are dead there. Usually we'll wake up at about 10, my parents will come into the room where my sister and I sleep and we'll open stockings. Then we'll go down for breakfast which is generally pannetone because my dad's company receives a pannetone and two bottle of wine every year from an Italian client. We'll go for a walk, graveyards and such then return and start making Christmas lunch/dinner whilst we watch TV. Then we'll swap presents for each other. We'll then eat, go for a walk, watch TV and sleep. It is the same every year. Nothing particularly special.

For Chanukkah we're pretty regular too. My sister and I receive money and on the last day we'll meet up with another Jewish family and play dreidles and have a meal.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 04:24 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!