Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help wiht amp/cd player
MisterJ
post Feb 2 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #1

Worrying

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 3,093

I recently bought a small 5.1 chl desktop surround sound system, I have my own big subwoofers hooked up to it. It's just that, I have a separate slightly older cd player, and I've started to notice a bit of static/light crackling coming through with some of the high range frequencies. Would this have anything to do with the laser/reader on the player, or maybe the speaker connections? I do have a few doubts about the connections though, because it is not really pro. You see, the amp only takes and put and output through, rca connectors. Yet my cd player will only output through bare wires (i.e. a black cord and a red cord with naked wires at each end). And the only way I could deal with this was take a cord with rca ends, cut one end off, strip some wire, separate them and put them in, although this might not be of the best quality, for these kinds of wires only have a small amount of bare wire in them. huh.gif lol

I'm not sure if this is the perfect kind of place to ask about this stuff, but if anyone has any suggestions/tips/help, it would be very appreciated. Thx smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bryden42
post Feb 3 2007, 12:22 PM
Post #2

Flash Gordon Wannabe

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,984

There are a number of items that may be producing this problem.

1) If it is the laser then a cheap head cleaning cd will resolve this,

2)It may be dust build up inside the cd player, in which case opening the case (unplug and isolate first of course) then liberal use of some canned air to clean out the inside will sort the problem,

3) It could be dry solder joints inside the cd player (although this would normaly produce interference and signal drop our rather than just the interference that you are experiencing) if it is a dry solder joint then you need to find it (a long and laborious task) and resolder the joint.

4) it is probably the connector that you are using. rca leads, as you've already said, have a larger area for connection than bare wire, stripping them back does result in a loss of quality.

I am just wondering if the output from the back of the cd player is outputting at line level or speaker level. If the cd player has an internal amplifier then it might be prducing signal that is intended for speakers and not for another amp to re-amplify, if this is the case then your amplifier is trying to amplify an already amplified signal and it is distorting because of this. I only think this because I have not come across a cd player that outputs on bare end, this is usually reserved for speaker level connections, although if it is old then it may very well use bare end for line level connections.

I cant really telll without having a look properly, Feel free to send me some photos if you have a digi-cam to bryden42@yahoo.com if you want.

--------------------
I like your house... can I come in!
S P A N G L E D by Faerieryn

what I do when I have too much time on my hands My Devart page
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 08:58 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!