IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cheese!, Just why is it so delightful?
Calantyr
post Jun 6 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #1

Perfection Personified

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,548

Has anyone noticed that if you slice cheese thin, it tastes better? Why is that?

The thinner the better. So using an apple-peeler to cut cheese really works. I particularly love wrapping olives up in very thin layers of cheese and munching on them as a snack. Yum!

My favourite cheese has got to bee either Davidstow or Cathedral city. The first is nutty and salty (stifle your giggles!), while the other is just full on yellow cheddar goodness.

Does anyone else have any cheesy tips? And what is your favourite one?

(And yes, I may be slightly bored. wink.gif )

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jun 6 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #2

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

/me looks moopwards

I'm feeling Brie at the moment. Does grated up cheese in mashed potatoes count as a tip? >_>

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Jun 6 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #3

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (Calantyr @ Jun 6 2007, 08:28 PM) *
Has anyone noticed that if you slice cheese thin, it tastes better? Why is that?

A high surface area to volume ratio - more surface area for your taste buds to touch. That's why grated cheese sandwiches are far superior to sliced cheese sandwiches.

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post Jun 9 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #4

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

I tend to prefer thickly sliced cheese, and thinly sliced meats.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jun 11 2007, 11:01 AM
Post #5

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

Emmenthal. YUM! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jun 11 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #6

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

If you microwave BabyBels (unwrapped of wax and plastic), on a plate, then they go all gooey and take ages to re-set, even if they have cooled down.

*doesn't spend days of melting foodstuffs in the microwave... nope*

>_>

dry.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Jun 16 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #7

Light On The Surface

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 91

I had some BabyBel with my lunch today. If I'd read your post before then, I could have had a much more amusing lunch break. Curse my slowness.

I like five counties. If you're not familiar, it's exactly as it sounds - five cheeses from five counties (Cheshire, Cheddar, Red Leicester, Double Gloucester and... a secret fifth one... that escapes my memory for the moment...) in one stripey cheese. Looks really good on toast, and taste wonderful.

[edit]

Well look at what Google brought me:

Five counties is a cheese that is made by layering five different traditional English cheeses one atop another. Since English cheeses come in a range of colours from white through yellow to deep orange, this creates a pretty layered effect visually. The range of flavours and textures ensures an equally pleasing eating experience; the pretentious and overeducated could claim that the pentachotomy of cheeses creates a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.

The problem with five counties is that there are more than five traditional, distinct English cheese styles that are named after counties. To make matters worse, some of the more popular cheeses are named after smaller regions — Wensleydale (of Wallace and Gromit fame), for example, is a valley in North Yorkshire, and Cheddar is in Somerset.

Unsurprisingly, makers of five counties tend to disagree upon precisely which five counties (or non-counties) should be used. Popular choices include:

Red Leicester
Double Gloucester
Derby
Cheddar — always the traditional English kind, and usually medium strength
Cheshire
Lancashire — this is further complicated by the various different Lancashire styles, although most producers go for a mid-range option rather than an especially creamy or mature ('tasty') variety.
Wensleydale
Nor is the ordering of the layers agreed upon, beyond certain basics. Two similarly coloured cheeses will never be adjacent, colour symmetry is generally appreciated and white rarely makes the outside layer. Popular choices are yellow - orange - white - orange - yellow (which maximises contrast) and orange - yellow - white - orange - yellow.

There are no particularly strong cheeses on the list — a very tasty Lancashire or an over matured Cheddar would mask the more subtle flavours of lighter cheeses. For those who prefer their cheese like year old sweaty socks, Huntsman cheese is another British style that consists of Stilton inside Double Gloucester.

Despite the disagreement on other issues, the five part is nearly universal. A larger number would make the individual layers too small to be identifiable, and fewer cheeses would be less visually appealing and would start to encroach upon the Huntsman style.

Five counties style cheese is also sold under various brand names, including Stripey Jack, Five Shires and (inaccurately) Five Cheddars. It is reasonably popular and not especially difficult to find — most supermarkets have their own varieties.

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jun 18 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 16 2007, 01:30 PM) *
I had some BabyBel with my lunch today. If I'd read your post before then, I could have had a much more amusing lunch break. Curse my slowness.

I like five counties. If you're not familiar, it's exactly as it sounds - five cheeses from five counties (Cheshire, Cheddar, Red Leicester, Double Gloucester and... a secret fifth one... that escapes my memory for the moment...) in one stripey cheese. Looks really good on toast, and taste wonderful.

[edit]

Well look at what Google brought me:

Five counties is a cheese that is made by layering five different traditional English cheeses one atop another. Since English cheeses come in a range of colours from white through yellow to deep orange, this creates a pretty layered effect visually. The range of flavours and textures ensures an equally pleasing eating experience; the pretentious and overeducated could claim that the pentachotomy of cheeses creates a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.

The problem with five counties is that there are more than five traditional, distinct English cheese styles that are named after counties. To make matters worse, some of the more popular cheeses are named after smaller regions Wensleydale (of Wallace and Gromit fame), for example, is a valley in North Yorkshire, and Cheddar is in Somerset.

Unsurprisingly, makers of five counties tend to disagree upon precisely which five counties (or non-counties) should be used. Popular choices include:

Red Leicester
Double Gloucester
Derby
Cheddar always the traditional English kind, and usually medium strength
Cheshire
Lancashire this is further complicated by the various different Lancashire styles, although most producers go for a mid-range option rather than an especially creamy or mature ('tasty') variety.
Wensleydale
Nor is the ordering of the layers agreed upon, beyond certain basics. Two similarly coloured cheeses will never be adjacent, colour symmetry is generally appreciated and white rarely makes the outside layer. Popular choices are yellow - orange - white - orange - yellow (which maximises contrast) and orange - yellow - white - orange - yellow.

There are no particularly strong cheeses on the list a very tasty Lancashire or an over matured Cheddar would mask the more subtle flavours of lighter cheeses. For those who prefer their cheese like year old sweaty socks, Huntsman cheese is another British style that consists of Stilton inside Double Gloucester.

Despite the disagreement on other issues, the five part is nearly universal. A larger number would make the individual layers too small to be identifiable, and fewer cheeses would be less visually appealing and would start to encroach upon the Huntsman style.

Five counties style cheese is also sold under various brand names, including Stripey Jack, Five Shires and (inaccurately) Five Cheddars. It is reasonably popular and not especially difficult to find most supermarkets have their own varieties.

You REALLY have too much time on your hands dry.gif

...and therefore NO excuse not to come to the meet on Saturday tongue.gif

I also like Jarlsberg. Yummy smile.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Jun 21 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #9

Light On The Surface

'Chonnabout, Sam? I looked that up at work. Took me a brief moment of Googly joy.

And didja have to quote the whole thing? you've practically doubled the length of the thread now... ;P

On a dimly related note, 'pentachotomy of cheeses' is my new favourite phrase. For now.

Also, I found in a supermarket some cheese that was Five Counties, but with each 'county' wrapped separately in plastic. Such wasteful packaging!

On an even less related note, given my penchant for typographical errors, and the number of times I've written 'county' of late, it's surprising to see that I haven't accidentally written something very offensive.

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Jun 21 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #10

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 21 2007, 03:02 PM) *
Also, I found in a supermarket some cheese that was Five Counties, but with each 'county' wrapped separately in plastic. Such wasteful packaging!

That's an outrage! It's not Five Counties, it's a selection pack!!

*mutters* stupid people

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jun 21 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #11

'Chonnabout, Sam? I looked that up at work. Took me a brief moment of Googly joy.

And didja have to quote the whole thing? you've practically doubled the length of the thread now... ;P

Yes! Yes I did dry.gif

On a dimly related note,
On an even less related note, given my penchant for typographical errors, and the number of times I've written 'county' of late, it's surprising to see that I haven't accidentally written something very offensive.

I personally am not surprised in the least given your potty mouth tongue.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Jun 22 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #12

Light On The Surface

Said the pot to the f@cking kettle...

I had BabyBel again today. Yum yum yum. Tiny waxy cheesy good.

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jun 22 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #13

Wait for the uprising

QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 22 2007, 03:46 PM) *

Did you remember to microwave it this time?

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jun 22 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 22 2007, 03:46 PM) *

Up yours, ladypart tongue.gif

I've found a lovely cheese accompaniment biggrin.gif It's something called Victorian Chutney. It's got sultanas and fruity things in it. I've obviously heard of chutney before but never put it with cheese for some reason. This stuff is yummy smile.gif I had it for lunch today in my granary cheese sandwich. It's sweeter and not as tart as Branston Pickle biggrin.gif

I can't believe I'm posting about condiments dry.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Jun 23 2007, 10:17 AM
Post #15

Light On The Surface

I forgot to microwave the Bel. It's my hangover comfort food, so I kind of just munch down on them without any real thought for presentation.

The chutney sounds a bit good, slaaaaag. Is that available from domestic high street retailers, or was it from www.deadposhchutneyandthat.co.uk or summat?

If we're diversifying into cheese accoutrements, what's your favourite cracker? I'm a Jacobs Choice Grain man. A spot of herby Roulet spread thick on one of those, and I'm in heaven.

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jun 23 2007, 11:19 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 23 2007, 11:17 AM) *
I forgot to microwave the Bel. It's my hangover comfort food, so I kind of just munch down on them without any real thought for presentation.

The chutney sounds a bit good, slaaaaag. Is that available from domestic high street retailers, or was it from www.deadposhchutneyandthat.co.uk or summat?

If we're diversifying into cheese accoutrements, what's your favourite cracker? I'm a Jacobs Choice Grain man. A spot of herby Roulet spread thick on one of those, and I'm in heaven.

It's Baxters I think so you can get it from all good retailers tongue.gif

I like Jacobs Cream Crackers the best although quite partial to Ritz smile.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Jun 23 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #17

Light On The Surface

Mmm... Ritz... I could just munch on those all day. I'm the same with Mini Cheddars, but you can't really add cheese to those. Unless you're feeling particularly cheesy.

Imagine eating Five Counties on Mini Cheddars, whilst listening to Meatloaf and watching old episodes of 'Sons & Daughters'. Could things get any cheesier?

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jun 25 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #18

Wait for the uprising

I like the butter puff crackers.

I also like how ridiculously camp that sentence sounds.

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Jun 25 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #19

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

I like the string cheese with the guy on the cover who's a piece of cheese with the cheese spread out on his head to be his hair. Tastes horrible if you just bite into it though. So yeah, thinner, better.

If anyone's microwaving cheese, take some nacho, put graded cheese over it, and then microwave it. Really yummy. Best served with either sour cream or avocado dip on the side.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jul 11 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #20

My direction

Member No.: 495

QUOTE (snoo @ Jun 6 2007, 09:41 PM) *
A high surface area to volume ratio - more surface area for your taste buds to touch. That's why grated cheese sandwiches are far superior to sliced cheese sandwiches.

I love you, snoo wub.gif

I like brie! And camembert (which should blatantly make an appearence in a dilbert cartoon). Anything squidgy which is likely to smell of ammonia after a few weeks ripening biggrin.gif I've never been a cheddar fan, but I don't object to it either. I don't like cooked cheese though so I'm afraid I have no tips. This whole post was basically a cover up for the first spammy line.

Heh heh heh...

edit: When I look at my toolbar for this topic, this window is titled "Cheese - The Other..." as "side forums" doesn't fit on the end. For some reason I thought " Cheese - The other other white meat!

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 08:02 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!