Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for advice about drivers?
porcelainwarrior
post Aug 13 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #1

not forgotten

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 323

Hi, basically see above. I've been having a problem with my Network Controller - says I need to update the driver but Vista can't do it automatically or find anything online and I don't HAVE any discs that help - I haven't a clue what to do as the problem doesn't seem to be with the wireless adaptor itself (Sweex model LW050) but something else(? ).

By reading this post you may conclude that I am entirely technically incompetent. This is the correct assumption. If anyone knows what I should do and is kind enough to reply please use simple sentences tongue.gif I honestly haven't a clue what's even wrong much less how I'm meant to fix it. I just know I can't use my Wi-Fi and it took me two days just to get off my ass and move enough furniture to work out how to plug the computer directly into the modem and still reach a seat (someone else set the wireless up for me in the first place).

Help me! I've gotten used to wandering randomly with my laptop roaming (almost) all the way to the back of the garden to keep up my intake of fresh oxygen and vitamin D. Don't let me be resticted back to my squishy armchair - I like being a free-range web-usery-person!

Thanks in advance you lovely people.

Porce x

--------------------
Little solace comes to those who grieve
When thoughts keep drifting
As walls keep shifting
And this great blue world of ours
Seems a
house of leaves
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 17 2007, 02:07 AM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Well... My usual bet is to look on the hardware to see what model it is, then search for the maker's website. Some are better than others, but most will have a 'downloads' section where you can get drivers for your hardware. These usually install themselves. You can try searching the web for the hardware name and 'driver' in Google, but this can bring up varying results, and it would be a good idea to virus scan everything before running it.

Is that any help?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Aug 21 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #3

not forgotten

Yeah thanks seems to have! I went to the Packard Bell website and looked up my model. There was a download available for wireless LAN drivers which seems to have done the trick. I've no idea if that's what you wanted me to do but thanks smile.gif On another note...on the website there was a warning about my laptop having a shorter than expected battery life (which even I noticed it lasts about an hour unplugged after being fully charged if I'm lucky) and the site is telling owners to update the BIOS to version 3A13 or newer, what the heck does that mean and can I be trusted to do it alone or should I get a more tech-savvy friend to help out?

Thanks for the advice about the drivers - I would like to note for the record that I'm never buying a new computer again, second-hand and already set up and ticking away nicely will be my bet in the future. My brain hurts.

--------------------
As walls keep shifting
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 21 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #4

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Updating the BIOS is probably a good idea if the manufacturer tells you to do it. It's kind of the software equivalent of a skeleton - everything else hangs off of it. Read the install instructions, and if it sounds horrendous then get a tech savvy person to do it. Most things are fairly user friendly these days, so you'll probably be okay.

It's good to try and do this stuff yourself. Once you get over the fear of it, it's usually not nearly as bad as it seems.

And yes, that was exactly what I meant about the drivers smile.gif

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Aug 21 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #5

not forgotten

Cool, thanks, my boyfriend he'll stay within screeching distance while I give it a shot in case I mess up. At least I don't have to sit downstairs anymore - I can't spend another evening listening to him play Gears of War or strange voices coming out of his DS tongue.gif

--------------------
As walls keep shifting
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 12:55 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!