IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Making a jacket!, and I need some help with it.
voices_in_my_hea...
post Aug 18 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #1

If my woman were a fire...

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,473

So, I was reviewing my wardrobe yesterday in an attempt to see if anything was missing before school started again. I decided that I'd like a fitted military style jacket. I looked in a lot of places, but I've been unable to find what I want. So, since I have a really paticular design I want anyway, and I'm not half bad at sewing....I want to make it myself.

Because I've never done this before, though, I figured I'd come to you wonderfully creative people here to help me out. (Where is a good place to buy cheapish, quality fabric? Where could I get the patches? Any sewing tips?)

So I want it to be Olive drab green, be fitted around the middle, and with a sort of blazer style. I also want it to have military-looking patches on the arms and whatnot, and I have no idea where to get them. Any help? smile.gif

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daria
post Aug 18 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #2

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

Heh, I am going to an Army Surplus shop in a little town near where my family live, on Thursday, in order to buy some army stuff for a party I'm going to on Saturday. If only you lived in the UK!*

Umm.. I guess my advice wouldn't be very useful because I have no clue about haberdashery in Texas BUT have you tried E-bay? It's pretty good for odd bits of fabric and patterns. What kind of fabric do you want? What "era" do you want your jacket from? What country patches do you want? (you could either get these from e-bay or here)

Good luck on making it!
*If you do want a bought one, PM me with your dimensions and maximum amount you'd be willing to spend on one, and I'll ship it over biggrin.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Aug 20 2007, 06:35 AM
Post #3

Ooh, thanks for that website, those are perfect. I would just get one from a military supply shop but like I said I'd want it fitted and I'm waaaay tiny....I just doubt there'd be anything the right size. And I like sewing anyway.

It's a pretty modern looking pattern, and the fabric I want to make it out of is kinda hard to describe - kinda like denim...(a bit thinner than it, though) but...ribbed? I really wish I knew the name for it. A trip to the fabric store is in order. tongue.gif (although I'll check e-bay first, I hadn't thought of that)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Aug 20 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #4

Wait for the uprising

Oh to be too skinny for 'normal' military jackets tongue.gif You could always alter one. Eeeenyways:
do you mean corduroy? It's a really nice fabric to make things from as it looks and feels nice- except that you have to lay out the pattern a certain way because of the weave (i.e the direction the lines go). Also, it frays like a b**ch and makes lots of mess (French seams are your friends, but it can sometimes be a bit bulky, depending on the size of the corduroy- needlecord being very fine, jumbocord being fat etc). It IS useful, however, that you have lines in the fabric so you can see if you're sewing/ cutting straight biggrin.gif

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Aug 21 2007, 03:55 AM
Post #5

I could alter one...I'm just stubborn. tongue.gif

It's not cordroy (although I do love it...it sounds like too much of a pain to sew on!) it's...actually...I've stolen a friends jacket made out of it...one second.

It's some sort of odd, heavish cotton weave, I've decided. tongue.gif I know...i'm horrible at explaining. My mom called it duct? Anyway, it would have the lines on it too....I just hope it wouldn't be as..messy..to work with.

*still remembers sewing faux fur on a stuffed animal years ago....fur....everywhere*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Aug 21 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #6

Wait for the uprising

I think I know what you mean.. But I can't think I have ever called it anything :/

haha, Oh yes. The perils of working with fake fur. My mum makes costumes for amateur dramatics groups and one year they did Macbeth. Cue lots of leather jerkins and fur lined collars. Our hoover ended up looking as though it had swallowed a cat...

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 21 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #7

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabardine

Cotton Gabardine or Cotton Twill

Durable, cheap, pretty biggrin.gif

Duck is something a bit different, though still very strong:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_duck

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Aug 21 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #8

Garbidine would be what I was looking for! Thanks kitty. "cheap" was the word I was looking for there, I was afriaid it was going to be something ridiculous like $20 a yard!

Alright then. biggrin.gif I've got my fabric (or at least I know what it's called now), I know where to get the patches...everything else should be at the craft store...

Operation jacket is a go. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Aug 25 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #9

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

To be honest if you want to make a tailored jacket (ie. made properly with all the correct stiffening etc) it's really not that easy. Admittedlly it is about my favorite part of fashion and making.
So my surrgestion is to perhaps look into altering another jacket as surgested. But anyway Good Luck and if you need any pointers feel free to ask and I'll see if I can help. I think I probably have a interfaceing plan I can send you to give you an idea of what needs to go where if your interested.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Aug 25 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #10

That'd be great.

Well I won't be making it all on my own, I'll be getting quite a bit of help from my mom, who's really great at everything involved with sewing. So I'm hoping it won't be that hard. What exactly about it is difficult?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Aug 30 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #11

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

Body shape. Made to measure skirts are dead easy because there only 2 major curves to worry about (one either side biggrin.gif ) the rest is shaping and tweaking. Jacket and top in general you have a few more curves and holes to take into consideration and fit to, boobs, waist, hips and armholes etc. Just generally makes it all a bit more confusing. Amittedly due to doing a fashion course I developed a hatred fr the tissue patterns and keep trying to make them from block patterns and driving myself insane when it does quite come to the picture in my head. But that's me.
I finally managed to get a skirt to look like the picture in my head this year, that how bad I am, because trust me skirts really are seriously easy even from a block pattern.
I'll hunt down the interfacing spec but I'm away this weekend so may be a few more days.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Sep 21 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #12

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

I actually made an evening jacket for Prom.
I got alot of good compliments on it!
I'm not saying that it was the best made thing around, I didn't use any interfacing in it and the fabric I used wasn't that spectacular.... but It still looked pretty good!

I would really love to remake the jacket though, I want it to fit a bit tighter, have smaller shoulders (me and my mom made it and she insisted the shoulders should be that big, but she's the one that lived through the '80s) and make it with all the proper interfacings

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 08:53 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!