Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Challenge You, to go do stuff
elphaba2
post Jan 2 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #1

Lord of the Keys

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,329

This is kind of going out on a limb, but I was thinking today about how great and cool the secret santa thing was, and how neat it is that everyone on these forums are so spread out. And how there are piles and piles of things that I'd love to see on this planet that I am simply too far away from to see--and that I'm always too busy or too dumb to go see the cool things near me. But wouldn't it be cool if someone from the forums could challenge me to go see something within, say, a twenty-or-thirty mile radius, and then describe it in here? We could do a head-to-head style gladiator battle between two people who both have a mission to go see a cool thing near them, where the person who tells the best story about going to see that thing wins.

What is a cool thing? I think the Jello Museum in LeRoy, NY (near Rochester) is a cool thing. The Bronx Zoo at night in the winter is also a cool thing. The Salvator Dali museum in St. Petersburg, FL is a cool thing. The biggest lightbulb in the world, in Edison, NJ is a strange thing. Going to a salsa party in London would be a very peculiar thing indeed.

Is this a dumb idea, Matazone? I think it could be pretty awesome. Thoughts?

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 2 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Hmm, that has potential, although people will generally know what are the cool things that are near them better than people on the other side of the world will.

Also, it is worth mentioning the adage:

In America 100 years is a long time, in Britain 100 miles is a long way.

20-30 miles is halfway across the country! Well, not quite, but it is enormous and we pack a lot into that space, which bodes well because it should mean that we all have some place cool near us that we can share. Frankly, I've got no idea what's good in Guildford, but I shall put some thought into this and see if I can find something good to report on.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jan 2 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #3

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

Well, I do lots of fun things because I am wonderful. Yes indeedy tongue.gif

Most of the fun awesome things I do are with these chaps- although I guess they are more activities rather than events. London really is a wonderful place to live if you have spare time and a little spare cash on your hands, what with free parties with live bands and DJs in old warehouses, SantaCon- we missed it this year >:( and we also joined Critical Mass for the summer solstice 2007. We cycled from Brixton (SW9), to Bricklane (E1) to Soho (W1) to Regent's Park to watch the sun come up from Primrose Hill.

Elphaba, I thought you were going to challenge us to things to do with energy and/or water saving, as per your family's gift to you for Christmas with the bucket showers.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Jan 2 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #4

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

That's an awesome idea! And I'm totally in! Well, if I get a reasonable place that either a) appropriate for my mom to drive me to cool.gif close enough to bike to.

Yeah, but any cool Orlando stuff you guys wanna know about, I'm totally in for!

We should also take pictures!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Jan 2 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #5

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

I'm in for this one.

On another thought, it'd also be cool for each person to simply go on an adventure around where they live, taking pictures and such as izzy suggested.

I'd be interesting to see what people of different cultures and ages do for fun, where they go, what those places look like. I, for example, live near Amarillo, the home of the Cadilliac ranch. There are also things I consider completely normal that may seem bizzare to people from other areas - tumbleweeds interrupting your way to your next class, Praire dog infestations, dust storms, dry thunder, ect.

But yeah, whatever we decide on, I'm up for it.

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 2 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #6

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

^ A bit like when someone (I'm so sorry, I cannot remember who) documented their day in pictures? That would be nice.

I would be interested in this too. Living near London, there is always more to discover!

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
michael1384
post Jan 3 2008, 01:57 AM
Post #7

^ For gods sake kill it!

Member No.: 2,134

Great idea. But I can't go to certain places at certain times.

Describe Parkers piece: Um... big... green... field.

Also send me somewhere when the weathers nice. Don't send me to an outdoor swimming pool in Winter.

--------------------
I have Facebook
click here, here or here to improve my city.
free cookies!
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, put this in your sig.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
It's not my bunny, I got it somewhere else.

+Quote Post
patback87
post Jan 3 2008, 03:05 AM
Post #8

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,680

Sounds cool, actually when I was home did take some pictures of somethings in my hometown (area) they are mostly our industrial ruins, if you will and then our sad downtown. Other than that I have tons of pictures of Chicago and recently I went to Springfield, IL.

--------------------
user posted image
The Blender Radio
"'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood?" -Ralph Waldo Emerson "Self-Reliance"
"It's cozy if your Hanibal Lector." - Ace Ventura

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Jan 3 2008, 09:55 AM
Post #9

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

This sounds pretty awesome, there isn't that much fun stuff near me, but I'm sure something can be found for me to go and see/do. Although I do agree with Mata, 30 miles is a long way for those of us who can't drive, possibly there are closer cool things?

QUOTE (Daria @ Jan 2 2008, 10:31 PM) *
Elphaba, I thought you were going to challenge us to things to do with energy and/or water saving, as per your family's gift to you for Christmas with the bucket showers.

*holds up hand* I thought this as well. Am relieved it's a much cooler idea instead.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jan 3 2008, 09:59 AM
Post #10

Wait for the uprising

QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Jan 3 2008, 09:55 AM) *
This sounds pretty awesome, there isn't that much fun stuff near me, but I'm sure something can be found for me to go and see/do. Although I do agree with Mata, 30 miles is a long way for those of us who can't drive, possibly there are closer cool things?

QUOTE (Daria @ Jan 2 2008, 10:31 PM) *

*holds up hand* I thought this as well. Am relieved it's a much cooler idea instead.

Hey! That is a pretty cool thing for us to be asked to do, so "no dissin'" tongue.gif

The idea of us all documenting our day/ a day in photos sounds like fun.

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jan 3 2008, 11:28 AM
Post #11

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

Sounds like a really cool idea and I think what'd make it interesting is if someone picked where they wanted you to go (which I think is what elphaba ment) that way it's not nessaccarily some where you'd normaly think about going.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jan 3 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #12

My direction

Member No.: 495

*pokes Daria*

Beccles! We could do a cultural tour of London!

Cos, y'know, London is full of cultcher. And America BLATANTLY doesn't have anywhere near so awesome as Camden tongue.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 3 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #13

My day - wakes at midday - washes etc - sits at computer - sits at computer - makes food - sits at computer... I think I would definitely have to pick a more interesting one to document!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jan 3 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #14

Wait for the uprising

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jan 3 2008, 12:58 PM) *
*pokes Daria*

Beccles! We could do a cultural tour of London!

Cos, y'know, London is full of clutcher. And America BLATANTLY doesn't have anywhere near so awesome as Camden tongue.gif

Pfft, we just need to take the Number 3 bus from Oxford Street to Crystal Palace and do the most amount of sightseeing you will ever do on the bus. I sometimes miss living in Brixto-... Hmm. I sometimes miss taking the number 3.
Jen, we should go explore the greenway behind my haus. It's a raised sewer. Yeah! *jazzhands*
We could also explore the many un-used parts of the underground system (sneaking in via that old padlocked up door in Shoreditch).
Or we could just go to Leon again biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 3 2008, 01:04 PM) *
My day - wakes at midday - washes etc - sits at computer - sits at computer - makes food - sits at computer... I think I would definitely have to pick a more interesting one to document!

My day- wakes at 5 to 9. Picks up computer, starts work at 9am. Gets out of bed at 1pmish, gets dressed (perhaps), eats something. Picks up post cats have inevitably pissed on, sighs at mess in kitchen. Goes back to bed with food, continues to work until about 5pmish. Does stuff in evening. Sleep.

Go go working from home!

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jan 3 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #15

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

If you take the no.10 Becky that takes you all the way to Hammersmith from Oxford Street and you go past LOADS of places tongue.gif

Oh and day so far - woke up watch tv and a video, got up, sat at computer,had lunch with parentals, sat back at computer, did some work of GA secret santa pressie (yes I'm still crap) whilst still at computer and thinks about getting dressed at some point.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 3 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #16

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Are we having someone else pick what they want to see near us and documenting it for them, or just picking something ourselves and documenting it? I'm not really sure where I'd go, to be honest, but could probably find something interesting. Derbyshire has to have something at least a little more exciting than well dressing, right? unsure.gif

Huh. The East Midlands Tourist Board claims that Leicestershire attracts 32 million visitors per year. They couldn't have all gotten lost, could they? At least a few of them had to go there on purpose.

Documenting my day wouldn't be very interesting, sadly. Especially right now, since I was ill during most of December and it's continuing into January. There would be lots of shots of used tissues, and no one wants to see that.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jan 3 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #17

My direction

Member No.: 495

I'm at least four of those 32 million, cand, my extended family live in Leicester, and my best mate goes to Uni there. Maybe they're all that kind of visitor tongue.gif

The number ten goes near my man's house biggrin.gif Score.

Yeah raised sewer systems! *jazzhands* tongue.gif Speaking of breaking into the underground, am I the only one who wants to get a pair of bolt cutters and go roller blading down the South Ken subway when it's all locked up and empty at night?

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Jan 3 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #18

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

Well perhaps if there's nothing exciting in your town - you could make it exciting.

For example, let's say that the only thing to do in your town (like in mine) is to cat-call old men as you drive by them. Document it, make a day of it, note their reactions. Ask people dumb questions and write down their awkward answers, and if a place doesn't have an interesting history, make it up. tongue.gif

Seriously though, I think anything can be made interesting. My town is extremely boring - literally the only thing for teenagers to do here besides go to school is to hang out at the Hastings. And they'll eventually kick you out. So for those of you who are past the days of ammusing yourself as a teenager, why not revisit them? Go out to your town, and think - if you were about 15 years old, there were no parties, and you had to ammuse yourself for the day, what would you do?

Okay so I pretty much rambled a lot, there. But I think I got my point across, yeah?

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jan 3 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #19

Lord of the Keys

QUOTE (candice @ Jan 3 2008, 11:00 AM) *
Derbyshire has to have something at least a little more exciting than well dressing, right? unsure.gif

I stopped by here on a usual Tour of the Internets, and had accumulated many tabs, and then I closed all of them but the well-dressing site and had no idea where it came from and sat at my computer laughing for about ten minutes. What a goofy custom.

So--yes, my plan was to find a Thing near somebody else and challenge them to do the legwork and go see it. Like the---augh--the corpse flower in London. Aware as I am that going to the Botanic Gardens may be somewhat miserable and require much wading through tourists (probably kinda MoMa-y), if I were to challenge someone in the general London area to go smell that stinky beast (when it opens up again) then the challenge would probably involve costumes. Or thousands of tiny monkeys. Or something equally fun. But maybe the only people who need challenges are the ones who need to be periodically poked in the ass? I think it would be just as great and cool and awesome if people posted photos of a Cool Thing without someone halfway across the world saying "hey go do this".

(How many people were relieved that I did not start Scolding about Waste? I am a little sad that I am a Scolder now, but it's all good. I can work with this.)

Also--jesus, Brits! 20-30 miles is less than an hour. Whiny kids. Be glad I'm not telling you to go to France.

--------------------

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 3 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #20

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jan 3 2008, 09:10 PM) *
Aware as I am that going to the Botanic Gardens may be somewhat miserable and require much wading through tourists (probably kinda MoMa-y), if I were to challenge someone in the general London area to go smell that stinky beast (when it opens up again) then the challenge would probably involve costumes.

The gardens in Kew? I live right near them, yet haven't been in a long, long time. I will happily take a camera and be a tourist for you as it is a lovely day out, especially to see this 'corpse flower'? Assuming that you are referring to Kew Gardens, I feel a little guilty that I don't know what it is considering how near I live to them but oh well.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 3 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #21

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

I stopped by here on a usual Tour of the Internets, and had accumulated many tabs, and then I closed all of them but the well-dressing site and had no idea where it came from and sat at my computer laughing for about ten minutes. What a goofy custom.

Hehe. What do you expect from people who go around calling one another "duck"? tongue.gif

20-30 miles is an acceptable distance for me, as long as I can get there by public transport since I don't drive. If someone else wants to choose something they'd like me to record for them, here is a map of the UK counties. Any of the counties bordering Derbyshire would be fine.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jan 4 2008, 01:16 AM
Post #22

Lord of the Keys

QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Jan 3 2008, 05:22 PM) *
The gardens in Kew? I live right near them, yet haven't been in a long, long time. I will happily take a camera and be a tourist for you as it is a lovely day out, especially to see this 'corpse flower'? Assuming that you are referring to Kew Gardens, I feel a little guilty that I don't know what it is considering how near I live to them but oh well.

Yes, those are the ones. The corpse flower is really gross. It only flowers once or twice a year, and it smells like corpses when it does. It's also really big; the biggest lily, I think, in the world. It flowered in Kew a month ago, or so Google has been telling me. But I bet the Gardens are really pretty even without the smell of something rotting hovering over all the shrubbery. Therefore I challenge you to go be a tourist! Effective whenever it is nice out!

Gang, we have our first challenge.

Feel free to send me around Westchester County and/or New York, anybody who can think of a Cool Thing, (map) but I like especially the left hand side as it is easy to access by train.

Wahoo!

I'll see if I can come up with some other challenges tonight for the other people who are in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 4 2008, 01:45 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jan 4 2008, 01:16 AM) *
Feel free to send me around Westchester County and/or New York, anybody who can think of a Cool Thing, (map) but I like especially the left hand side as it is easy to access by train.

Well, if you want one, then go find and photograph five of the space invaders (or their scores)!
http://www.space-invaders.com/nysom.html

EDIT: Actually, that might be really tricky, feel free to say no!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
patback87
post Jan 4 2008, 07:28 AM
Post #24

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,680

Man I can't think of anything I haven't hit up on my trips, I mean other than explorering neighborhoods, but I wouldn't want you to end up in a bad neighborhood(being a bad neighborhood doesn't deter me from explorering them) of course you would know more about them than I would, lol. I would really like to explore parts of Alphabet City (I believe the new gentified name is East Village, you know so it doesn't scare the yuppies off, lol.) or any neighborhood in lower Manahattan The Village, SOHO, Tribeca, and then parts of Harlem. When I was there a few weeks ago I was on 145th St and Amsterdam Ave area, I just thought a place thinking of Harlem, the Apollo Theater, was thinking it would be cool to see after I ran across it on TV. Perhaps in April or May area I will send you on a housing hunt for me, lol, as I think even if I don't get the internship I may live in NYC for the summer, I already have a friend who wants to sublease my apartment in Chicago and I could just transfer to Niketown NY.
My day - wakes at midday - washes etc - sits at computer - sits at computer - makes food - sits at computer

Sounds like a day when I have nothing to do, lol otherwise it's
Wake 30 mins after I should have - shower - run out the door without eating - Grab newspaper - run for the train - run from the station to work or school - probably be slightly late (hehe) - come home - watch TV, eat, and surf the web. On a good night I will hang out with friends, but during the semester everyone gets busy and then during break everyone goes back to their hometowns, lol.

Anyway long post, so feel free to send me around Chicago, I don't have a car when I'm in the City but if you wish to see the exciting sights of Central Illinois let me know and I can do it when I'm visiting back home. Like when the new Batman movie comes out feel free to send me on a mission to go to as many places where they shot as possible. Some of the interiors would be hard though, the place they used for the "Gatham City Bank" and "Gotham Police Station" is the former main Post Office in Chicago, not only is it a Federal building (you know the homeland security thing) it's sealed pretty tight. I also could try and find someone who worked on the set that could probably give me some kind of list of places or just IMDB it or something.

--------------------
user posted image
The Blender Radio
"'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood?" -Ralph Waldo Emerson "Self-Reliance"
"It's cozy if your Hanibal Lector." - Ace Ventura

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jan 4 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #25

Wait for the uprising

Also--jesus, Brits! 20-30 miles is less than an hour. Whiny kids. Be glad I'm not telling you to go to France.

Actually, getting to France is easier for me than... say... getting to Birmingham. One tube and one train, as opposed to two tubes laugh.gif

Cath, I think I will explore the number 10!

Actually, I would love to spend a day on the buses, numerically. I know people who have done it, and I have frowned upon them for wasting a day on public transport- but I wonder if I can do it without being lost in Sidcup or Penge or something!

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 12:33 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!