Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Internet security, from virus and trojan the good tech deliver us
Ashbless
post Jan 25 2008, 07:11 AM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

Any opinions on what's good by the way of internet security programs? I'd like to beef up current security to something a little better.

A coworker is keen on a program called Kapersky. Has anyone heard of it? Is it good or is it rubbish?

Once, back in the dark ages, Norton was supposed to be good. At least one friend has said I might as well not bother as it's not very good.

Er, help?

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Jan 25 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #2

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

I've not heard of Kapersky, but I'd agree with your friend's opinion on Norton, if only because there's no point paying for something like this, when there's so many good free programs out there.

I use and would recommend:

Firewall:
Sygate Personal Firewall

Antivirus:
F-Prot Antivirus (Though that seems to be only available on trial. If you can't get that then AVG is also good)

Anti-Spyware:
Spybot Search and Destroy

Ad-Aware

Spyware Blaster

The above should all be free and effective, but the more you have the better really. And remember to let them update regularly smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
selina
post Jan 25 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,357

karspersky is an award winning security program. Norton is good as well, but personally i'd rather have kaspersky because norton comes with symantec which eats up a lot of both harddisk and ram memory so your computer tends to run slower when its doing a computer scan. The only problem i have with kaspersky is that it constantly tries to scan your computer and that you'd have to change serial keys to keep it activated. im using a torrent-download kaspersky so i dont know if the original one would require that many activation keys.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 25 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #4

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

We've got a thread about this pinned in this topic:

http://www.matazone.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=13073

The basic gist is that you can usually get very good products for free. Personally I use:

Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy (Spybot S&D) for my cookie and other malware killing purposes

ZoneAlarm Personal for my firewall

Avast! Antivirus for my antivirus.

I have been very happy with the performance of all of these. Avast! seems to be extremely thorough. Zone Alarm took a little while to get set up, but now it's there it is excellent. The advantage of having such a popular firewall is that if you have trouble with networking then there will usually be a website out there to explain how to do it. I torrent and stream media through the firewall and still have decent protection. It's good stuff!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 05:48 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!