Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DVD playing software help needed
Mata
post Jan 26 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I used to have a bit of software that would allow me to shrink films down to a box the size of a stamp in the corner of my screen so I could vaguely watch things while I'm doing animations and drawing. Since my hard drive died I've not been able to find another one that lets me do this.

What I want:

A resizeable player window
The window stays on top
The controls can be buried
The window doesn't have a minimum size
The window doesn't have large areas of black on it (the one I'm using currently always stays at 4:3 ratio even if the movie is in 16:9) which take up more space on the screen than needed.

That, to me, seems like a reasonable expectation, but I've not found it yet. The old software I used to use has been updated and now doesn't work the same way anymore. I miss having films on, but I don't want an eighth of my screen consumed by something that is basically unnecessary.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Jan 26 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #2

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

I've just had a fiddle with VLC (I'm using the Mac version but it's fair to expect that the Windows version has the same features):

A resizeable player window - yup
The window stays on top - yup, though you have to dig through a few preferences windows
The controls can be buried - yah
The window doesn't have a minimum size - Goes down to a box about the height of a postage stamp and 3 times the width (16:9 ratio) before limiting you
The window doesn't have large areas of black on it (the one I'm using currently always stays at 4:3 ratio even if the movie is in 16:9) which takes up more space on the screen than needed. - in windowed mode there are no black borders if the window aspect ratio is right, in fullscreen you can adjust the aspect ratio to get rid of the borders

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Jan 26 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #3

This space intentionally left blank

Member No.: 203

Seconding the suggestion of VLC here. It's lighter that a helium balloon under favourable atmospheric conditions, and does the job well. It can cope with some pretty knackered files too.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jan 27 2008, 02:39 AM
Post #4

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 959

I'll third VLC, I've been using it for quite a while now with no problems that I can recall! smile.gif

also, it's nice to see Mr Fuzzy still alive - I guess he visits all the forum sections that I don't!

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 27 2008, 03:12 AM
Post #5

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Huzzah! Thanks everyone. It's too late tonight to play with that, but I'll give it a go sometime in the next (rather busy) week. It sounds like just what I was looking for!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 05:41 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!