> job/longevity/should i wait?
nordelen
post Apr 19 2008, 12:24 AM
Post #1

the monitor lizzards are coming!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 299

rite; sorta back story.
ive been working as an mla (medical lab assistant, in hospitals. mla is a stand-alone job; for those who dont know it basically translates as "dogs-body",well, at least it does in N.I anyway! hehe!). full time for more than three years now. after the first year there was talk of a course being set up for mlas to be able to go on a course to improve their prospects, which would in turn let the mla to go on to degree. now, i have been in my current hospital job for nearly two years, and so far there has been no word, or even any wisppers for the last 3-4 months.
now to put this in perspective, i have been bored for a while now. there are only a few moments a month that i think that the job is alright. *NOTE* the people, including the bosses, can be sound.

SO, THE QUESTION IS: SHOULD I STICK IT OUT AND WAIT FOR THIS TO BECOME A CAREER PATH, OR SHOULD I CUT MY LOSSES AND WALK AWAY?

additional info: currently i am a 27 yr old male with no girlfriend who lives in his mothers house.

ps: excuse the spelling, please. ive had afew.

--------------------
let me FIND a lifestyle before you judge me on it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dancing hamster ...
post Apr 21 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #2

Our UAV is online

Member No.: 1,304

Ha, I've been thinking the exact thing with my job.

I've been there for 2 years, it started off great, now seems dire. The moneys crap, work is stressful, and my boss is...

I want to get out, but I have no idea what I would go on to do next.

I think you need to plan ahead, do you honestly see yourself there in 5/10/20 years time?

+Quote Post
ewomack
post Apr 21 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,486

Dancing hamster has it. What do you want to do with your existence? Do you see yourself as an MLA-type in 10 years? If absolutely not then explore your options now rather than later. Career change tends to get harder with age, especially when you throw wife/kids/home/toys/creature comforts into the mix.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Apr 21 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #4

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Clearly you're not happy in our current job, thing is, do you want to continue are career in a similar vain? Or were you just looking at advancement in what you're currently in because you already had your foot in the door as it were? When you say you work in hospitals, I'm guessing that means NHS? In which case you could consider looking into becoming a lab assistant in a private lab? Somewhere which may even assist you in a degree to help advance your career?
Failing that, really have a think about your strengths? What are you good at? Do you like working with people? Do you have an interest or hobby which could be applied to a career? Also think about, do you want to train for a job first or would you rather jump in feet first and work your way up from the inside?

I've put a bit of thought into this sorta thing myself lately. I graduated university coming up on two years ago and decided I'm not really interested in following a career in my chosen subject for the time being. I still live at home with my mother, like you, which is something of a mixed blessing. Presumably you pay your way, but on the other hand, should you want to re-train for something, you still have a roof over your head.

If you're curious, I've settled on working in retail at the moment for a company called Fat Face. I actually enjoy working there, I've been there about 5 months, I've already been sent off down to Canterbury for two days to help merchandise a new store and I'm working my way to assistant manager (which in theory is achievable in a few more months). It's nothing glamorous, but I get to play with a beach ball at work! tongue.gif

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 22 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #5

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I'd push to see if the degree level training was likely to happen any time soon then make a decision based on that: if it is going ahead, are you interested in doing it? If it's not, do you want to stay where there aren't training or career progression systems in place?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 01:57 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!